1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Star Trek : Discovery] : New Star Trek series coming from CBS

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Dr of Dunk, Nov 2, 2015.

Tags:
  1. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

After 5 episodes I think I can say I definitely enjoy it.

Definitely already better than Enterprise, probably Voyager too. Is it different? Yeah, but I think there may be a reason for that.

If they go with the...theory ahead...
    Idea that Lorca is somehow involved with Section 31 theory then the edgy nature of the series makes perfect sense really. Also, I love how Burnham is almost an allegory to what Trek should be vs Lorca who is what Trek has become thanks to the movies. I don't know if this is on purpose or what.

All in all, the characters I find interesting. Lorca definitely is a strong point of the show. I also like how the last episode didn't focus on Burnham much.

In comparison to the Orville...Orville is a good show, but really I think Discovery is better. Orville may be more 'Trek' but that's in a way of only mockery. I think Discovery has more interesting characters, a more interesting plot, and is just overall better.

GRENDEL likes this.
  2. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Orville is like McFarlane's pet dream project from his childhood. It's hard to compare them both because they're so different. The expectations are low for Orville, but I hope it lasts long enough for them to find their own groove.

I was amazed to read discovery costs 6 million an episode. Yuge number

3. Blatz

Blatz Contributing Member

With the way the last episode (ep.5) ended and I'm just pulling things out of the air...
    did we just see the creation of Q?

#163 Blatz, Oct 16, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2017
  4. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

Episode 5 Link

Anyone else surprised when they started dropping f-bombs? Didn't know CBS would do that, even for an online-only show.

Genesis likes this.
  5. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

Genesis likes this.
  6. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

Haven't watched any of it or read this thread to avoid spoilers.

What would you guys give it out of 1 out of 10? Worth the time?

7. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

8/10 for me and definitely worth the time. Show has me hooked and I can already imagine how season 2 and beyond will improve on season 1.

GRENDEL likes this.
  8. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

Pretty big Trek fan and I have to agree, it's a worlds better than the rebooted movies. It got an edge that Trek doesn't usually have but it's not over done. Lorca is my favorite character thus far, really find him the most interesting of the group.

9. edwardc

edwardc Member

So far this show has been watchable.

10. Blatz

I'd give it a 6. If you like Star Trek or Science Fiction you'll most likely enjoy it.

11. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

plagiarism?

12. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

Haven't watched the video but going to. I know the Orville took liberties with one of their episode storylines where the captain and his ex-wife get captured by an alien race that places them in a zoo. I believe that was originally a Star Trek:TOS pilot episode. Even Rick and Morty parodies it and Contact in this clip.

Wouldn't be surprised if Star Trek: Discovery took inspiration from other Sci-Fi content. That's of course different from near verbatim copying without reference to the original source.

13. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

Any thoughts on the last episode? Temporal loop and Harry Mudd, thought it was a fun change of pace but I've always enjoyed the temporal loop storylines across the board......

14. Blatz

It was my favorite episode and seemed more Star Trek to me than the others for some reason.

GRENDEL likes this.
  15. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

I love "Groundhog day" Loop TV Trope episodes. The best way to save money is the time loop.

GRENDEL likes this.
  16. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

I thought it was the best episode and felt more like Star Trek.

GRENDEL likes this.
  17. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

About that time episode
    if only the science dude can remember the loop, then how does Michael pass all the info she and her roommate gathered while he was in captivity? It seems like she was able to transfer past learnings at the end too?

18. MoonBus

MoonBus Contributing Member

Edge of Tomorrow is 1 of my favorite scifi, I like this one where Michael wasn't the one who discovered the loop.

19. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

Episode 7 Link

Still have to catch up with episode 6, but here's episode 7.

20. hooroo

hooroo Member

TOS and TNG tv series had a certain feel to them. That's what I think of when I hear ST. The last thing I saw that was reminiscent of this was a movie called The Man From Earth. This show is more like a mix of Andromeda, Enterprise, and the current ST reboot movies. I've been following this so far mostly because there's nothing else on.