1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Star Trek : Discovery] : New Star Trek series coming from CBS

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Dr of Dunk, Nov 2, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

If you have a midget, why not make him ride another person like a horse?

Brilliant!

RudyTBag likes this.
  2. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

[​IMG]

Invisible Fan likes this.
  3. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

4. Win

Win Contributing Member

el gnomo likes this.
  5. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Still pleasantly surprised. Will continue to watch

6. Blatz

Blatz Contributing Member

Still not sure about the human raised by vulcans who seems to be more android than anything.

7. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

This show is too good for streaming but too nerdy/geeky for mainstream CBS. Not a Star Trek fanboy, but I watched some TNG, and a bunch of Voyager and Deep Space Nine. I've been watching some episode reviews and I had no idea the easter eggs that have been packed into this show.

8. VanityHalfBlack

Still need to catch up on this. After 3 episodes is the show more space exploration or about going to war?

9. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

I get the impression, after the introduction of Discovery, that it's going to focus on prepping for a possible war with the Kllingons. They introduced Captain Lorca as a warmonger and totally down for using scientific research to create that "new" way to travel to win the war.....

10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I thought the entire purpose of the first 3 episodes was to make us hate the main character.

11. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

Well, she IS a strong, intelligent, independent black woman, so I can see why you of all people would feel that way. :rolleyes:

12. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

I have absolutely loved all 4 episodes so far. This show is excellent and I am definitely hooked.

13. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

If it's just going to be war stories, I don't think I'll stick with it. Get enough of those already without adding Ken Burns' The Vietnam War in Space.

14. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

The show is not afraid to kill off characters. That is a good thing......

15. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

My only gripe is the Klingon sidebar, which is clearly inferior to the Discovery plotline. Good show otherwise.

I'm a Trekkie but the fascination over Klingons annoys me to no end. Discovery is laying a foundation that will be important later.

16. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

Episode 4 Link

This show continues to deliver. CBS is going to regret not making it a regular prime-time TV show.

Genesis likes this.
  17. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

I've been pretty impressed with all four episodes as well. Really like Lorca and the angle they are going with him, it's a character type that hasn't really been explored, in depth, in Trek.

18. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

The Orville is better.

DD

bumbum09 likes this.
  19. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I caught three episodes of the Orville and I like it so far. I was expecting galaxy quest, but instead of a parody, it's trying real hard to build it's own command over human issues through sci-fi. It's like fan fiction TNG and almost eery nostalgia for its trekkie fanatics. MacFarlane even brought on brannon braga who probably made sure it had that feel Seth wanted.

I agree that it doesn't know when it should be serious or not, but many treks in their first season were terrible and had to find its writing and cast chemistry. The characters are sufficiently interesting, which I can't say much for discovery outside it's captain and Michael.

Discovery feels like a successor to jj Abrahams b*stard ret con of start trek: edgy ,modern, action packed with star wars sfx.

Orville is more optimistic. The Orville cast are more relateable without discovery's exposition gimmick of forcing a dichotomy of naive and hardened (*******) characters in the same scene in order to clue the audience in on the difference.

I agree with the reviews, Orville has gene Roddenberry's spirit. Discovery is a different kind of trek. Its not worse, just something people weren't waiting for.

I hope they both get renewed, but it's likely 50/50 here

#159 Invisible Fan, Oct 14, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2017
  20. Blatz

Blatz Contributing Member

It just came to me. The scientist guy was the kid in Adventures In Babysitting. He was the one who stole the playboy.