1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Nets trade Brook Lopez to Lakers for D'Angelo Russell & Timofey Mozgov

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Amel, Jun 20, 2017.

1. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

Your expectations of Ball are much too high.

He can hardly take his man off the dribble and he can't play pick and roll.

If he was an off guard this wouldn't be a problem, but especially with Russell's departure he will be the lead guard.

Having no midrange game and inability to play PnR is going to leave you much more like Elfrid Payton than Steph Curry; who does most of his damage off screens.

Lonzo can only shoot off the catch or stepping back to his left.

He's also expressed a reluctance to change the shot. And rather than work with a shooting coach this offseason, his dad trained him.

2. Bennie Anders

Bennie Anders Member

Ridiculous move by Brooklyn. Mozgov is terrible and Russell not good enough to make up for it. Lopez expiring contract very valuable.

3. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Dude
    they were the WORST TEAM in the league last year. You can't get WORSE than the WORST

4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Lol talking of womanizing, D'angelo.

5. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

I disagree. They won't have a first round pick for another two years I believe. So no young talent coming in any time soon. Russell is their first round pick now. I'm sure he's better than any 27th or 28th pick in this draft.

BigMaloe and RasaqBoi like this.
  6. YOLO

YOLO Member

actually not a bad move for brooklyn. no draft picks for awhile and they get a extremely young prospect that can play already.

SAT Prep likes this.
  7. YOLO

YOLO Member

lol highlights convinced you? terrible. Ball sucks

8. True Rocket

True Rocket Member

I think Russell will eventually get it together. I guess he was suppose to average 20 points last season.

9. toycannon

toycannon Member

This post really makes good sense, especially since Brook is now in his backside of his NBA career.

10. Lightsnowaction

This is a very risky move for LA. Essentially, they are assuming they will have the cap space to acquire Lebron and PG13 in which they only get one year of Brook Lopez. They had cap space 2 years ago to try to sign LMA and Jordan and had no luck. I know PG wants to come there, but making premature cap trades is never a good idea when the downside is very bad. Plus, I like D'Angelo alot, and feel he has the upside to be a Lead Guard next to Lonzo and become an All-star one day.

Better get both Lebron and PG13 and are right about Russell.

11. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

It's not just about signing FAs. It's cleaning house. Russell is a headcase. They are going to draft Lonzo Ball who is a more reliable, albeit less spectacular, guy to run an offense. And if they do get LeBron, it's a lot easier to hand the reign to him.

I hate that the Lakers look to be relevant again.

12. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

You clearly understand what happened here and why it's a sad day for Lakers-haters like us. The last straw is when they dump Luol Deng's contract on another team without giving up too much.

I don't believe Lonzo Ball will be all that but if they give him the keys to a Cadillac (like Rondo in Boston and similar to what he had at UCLA), he can thrive in the NBA.

Easy likes this.
  13. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

14. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I don't know if Ball will turn into a superstar. But he looks like he will be a very solid starting PG in the NBA. Great vision, high IQ, can be creative but willing to stay in system, and a good size to boot. You are right, if you give him some weapons, he can thrive in the floor general role.

15. Chuck Nevitt

Chuck Nevitt Contributing Member

Lakers and Celts in finals in two years, deja vu.

16. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

L.A. talk radio (and internet comments) were talking about how they wouldn't give up Russell in a trade for George. They are NOT happy that he got traded to salary dump Mozgov and adding a 1 year rental of Lopez.

17. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I was saying this to my son yesterday. it's very obvious the Lakers are going to be really good again in 2018. Sorry, but I would root for the Warriors to beat them.

My particular Houston Rockets programming is a bit too old school for most here.

18. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

It isn't a salary dump UNLESS they get an expiring rental back. Brooklyn didn't eat salary.

They don't trade Russell for George, because they are willing to wait a year to get him in free agency.

Bottom line: LA fans are just having to face reality that Russell is not that good, and couldn't land a better draft pick.

tinman likes this.
  19. ch44

ch44 Member

Trevor Booker will be traded by the end of tomorrow. Not to Houston though.

20. Vivi

Vivi Member

?