1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Netflix/Marvel] Punisher the series

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by seclusion, Apr 29, 2016.

1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The Punisher appeared in Daredevil first, the Punisher series is a continuation of the events that happened in Daredevil with him.

I had someone ask me about the series and I told them to watch Daredevil first because of this character interaction.

If you didn't watch it you don't get the background relationship and it just seems strange.

2. Outlier

Outlier Member

Was i watching the same thing you guys were watching? This series is good. Probably the best marvel one.

A_3PO likes this.
  3. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

I might have missed something, but I thought the general consensus was that it was quite good. I personally thought it was one of the best Marvel shows, it was certainly better than Iron Fist and although I didn't hate Defenders I thought it was better than that as well. There were definitely some things I didn't like, but you can always find a reason to complain if you're looking for it.

4. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

So, I was watching it, and thought it was cheesy, predictable and slow. The flashback episode where Frank saves his unit and punches that dudes eye out, felt super low budget. The main woman actor, already forget her name, she was not good (looked good though, so gratz). Then, at some point along the way, episode 8-ish maybe? I started to dig it. I liked it. Eventually. Despite its flaws.

5. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

My biggest issues with the Marvel Netflix universe is that 13 episodes per season are too much. There is not enough meat and story to tell over that many hours of television so we are forced to watch a stretched out narrative full of unnecessary subplots, side quests, and generally dull moments.

Honestly, you could trim it down to 6 episodes of a tight, intense, and wildly entertaining season like the length of a two-part feature film. Just because you can make 13 episodes and have people binge watch in one sitting, doesn't mean it's the best way to go.

arkoe likes this.
  6. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

Needs more meat

ghettocheeze likes this.
  7. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

Someone was talking to me about this last night. They said that the whole point of the punisher is that his family was killed by gangbangers so it sends him into his vigilante mode where he kills all gangsters and mobsters. But they basically ruined that by having the whole thing orchestrated by the government and the gang bangers were basically just pawns? Anyone wanna weigh in, just had me curios.

8. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

It's not like, oh, the government killed my family now, not gang members, now it's govt+gang = dead fam.

9. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

That's one of the structural problems of the story. The whole "CIA black ops killed Castle's family trying to put a out a hit on him using the mob" angle was poorly developed.

This caused a lot of problems including Billy Russo's characterization. The writer's really screwed up Russo's motives. One minute, he's Castle's best friend and lifelong blood brother and the next moment, he's part of the whole CIA conspiracy.

In a tender flashback moment, Castle's kids call him "uncle Billy" and Maria kisses him on the cheek like a little brother and tells him that he is part of their family now since Russo never had one growing up in foster homes.

So the murders should have really torn Russo emotionally as well, but he keeps on strutting his cool cat persona like nothing happened.

I would have liked a scene where Billy struggled with his burden and confronted his demons. Instead, by the end of the season he uncharacteristically becomes a raging lunatic going as far as to set up the last boss fight with Castle in the same spot where Maria and the kids where gunned down -- talk about hitting a new low.

That was totally botched by the writers. This scene needed to be handled with dexterity. There was no emotional depth. A better filmmaker would have made Russo and Castle play off each others' internal struggles like a western showdown and not just a gunfight to the end.

Kruze10 and Ziggy like this.
  10. Kruze10

Kruze10 Member

Finally finished this series. I will say, the last 4-5 episodes were great and really saved it. Hopefully they bring it back. Not sure what he has to fight for at this point though. He killed all the baddies with the exception of Billy.

11. omgTHEpotential

Yeah, I really enjoyed the Punisher. Hopefully there's a new season coming.

12. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

What would be next after S1 was my biggest question too. I have a couple of ideas though.

S2 will be released sometime in 2019.

13. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Any word on if Disney will migrate this to their platform? Or are they unable to and will instead cancel it? If they cant migrate this and Daredevil in their current form I assume they'll cancel them both.

14. Kruze10

Kruze10 Member

No news yet. It would be disappointing if they did. I've only watched Daredevil and Punisher, and from what I've heard Jessica Jones is pretty good. I tried watching Luke Cage, and I got through most of it, it was ok. I didn't even bother with Iron Fist or Defenders. So I'm not too bummed out by them cancelling those other shows but Daredevil and The Punisher, are actual good shows. Hope Disney can at least save those two.

15. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I think Disney already knows if they are going to cancel or not. So I'm sure it will leak soon. I think they would be contractually obligated to keep it under wraps if it's a cancel. Announcing it would deflate the momentum on Netflix's investment. We'll see... I actually think it'll be fine either way. But I haven't started DD3 yet.

16. Kruze10

Kruze10 Member

Took me a few episodes to really get into season 3 but it ended being a strong season. Looking forward to season 4, if it ever happens.

17. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

[​IMG]

Final season. Probably.

conquistador#11 likes this.
  18. conquistador#11

lol this comment on the insta post.
    • "doneil306
      Looks cool but you should use your sights. You’re more accurate that way."

19. Beezy

Beezy Member

Season 2 is up. The body count in episode 1 is high.

arkoe likes this.
  20. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

****, there goes all of my plans. I still need to finish DD S3 though. :mad:

#120 seclusion, Jan 18, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2019