1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Jalen Green looks like a legit star, Amen Thompson is shining and the Rockets have found something without Alperen Sengun. Clutch is talking about the 10-game winning streak at 11:00am as we talk Rockets live!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

Nerlens Noel traded to Dallas for Justin Anderson, Andrew Bogut, first round pick

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Snow Villiers, Feb 23, 2017.

1. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

2. majicdonjuan

majicdonjuan Member

Oh thats great, Paul will grab Cuban by the balls and squeeze every last dollar out of him. Good stuff

3. BackdoorHarden

What are the odds he'll hold out now to get Tristan Thompson money??? Will he sign before the season starts???

4. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I have no idea how Noel can even leverage this to get the kind of money he wants now. Even the nets are down to only like 15 million in cap space. There has to be the threat of somebody out there paying more to get maximum value. Who is out there that Dallas even has to worry about? I'm honestly a little surprised about this because while I know Nerlens hasn't lived up to the hype he entered the league with, he's still the kind of center that everybody is looking for. He can run, play defense and protect the rim and play the pick and roll.

I hate this because I was really hoping Dallas would be forced to match a max contract or lose one of their most talented players outright. But on the bright side, this does seem to indicate that Capela's next contract will be more affordable than we had hoped.

#244 Williamson, Aug 22, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2017
    Von Rafer and BHannes2BHonest like this.
  5. Nook

Nook Member

[​IMG]

6. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

He can just take the QO, play his ass off, and have a much better market next year.

I realize that this approach basically never happens, outside of Greg Monroe, and its still generally in the players interest to take any contract that has decent value, but it doesn't seem like he has even that.

Maybe Rich can get someone like Brooklyn to put a 1 year $10-$15 million offer out there. Which Dallas might/would match, but that's better than the 1 year QO for him.

Williamson likes this.
  7. khanhdum

khanhdum Member

He's 1 year too late for big money

8. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

tidbit of the CBA: Only the incumbent team can sign an RFA to a 1-yr contract. Offer Sheets must be for 2+ years...(not including option years)

fba34 likes this.
  9. JayZ750

Hmmm. I certainly get the RFA value to teams and as a fan also prefer not to lose players to FA so like the concept.

But that does seem pretty restrictive. Players should have some options around that - like if the incumbent team hasn't presented a multi-year offer to the RFA 30 days after the start of FA then they can sign a 1 year Offer Sheet, and if the incumbent team has presented that multi-year offer but the RFA can get an Offer Sheet for 1 year where that year 1 salary is x% higher than incumbent team's offer than they can sign that Offer Sheet. Something like that. Or just as easy as allowing the RFA to sign a 1 year offer with another team, which the incumbent team can match with the exact same offer OR with a 2 year offer with the same (or 95% of) starting salary in the incumbent offer.

I don't "feel bad" for Nerlens, but think he's been squeezed a bit here not just beyond what fair market would be as an UFA, but beyond what his fair market probably is as a RFA, because it's obviously a closed market with only so much demand, and so much cap space, then with his position being less and less important, etc.

Seems like that CBA tidbit on top of all that is like really limiting. It's obviously not thing #1 or #10 players might want to negotiate out of the next CBA but perhaps should be on there.

10. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I would love for Dallas to "overpay" for Noel, but I don't see the leverage. First, Dallas didn't have to give up much at all to get Noel in the first place. So, at worst, if they lose him, not that big a deal. Save the cap space. So, if they get him at a lower price that's great for them. I am sure they are lowballing him. Probably around 12M/per. Maybe even 15. But I am sure Noel wants 20M/per.

From Noel's side there isn't another team out there to leverage. So he probably has to take the QO and enter 2018 as a UFA and hope there are teams with space AND a need for a C.

Nook likes this.
  11. heypartner

You might be viewing this as only benefiting the team, when it may in fact have been championed by the Players Union.

I'm totally guessing, but I'm willing to bet that the Player's Union was the one who got the 2yr guaranteed, opening bid language into the RFA rules.

Before you continue to express how much flexibility a 1yr provides the players, I always try to list the ways agents can leverage that to get multiple years. "You want to sign my client? Bidding starts at 2yrs guaranteed pay. And his current team can always outbid you with a 1yr while he maintains his full Bird Rights." Without that bidding requirement, I can see abuse by teams as well, "We are willing to offer you the money you want, but 2nd yr is a Team Option. A 1 + 1 (TO)." That latter ploy could never even come up as a team negotiating starting point.

I just see the little times a 1yr with another team is negotiated by the agent (whereby you completely lose Bird Rights) is so rare, the ability to use the 2yr bidding requirement,eliminating 1 + 1 (TO)s, is overall the best choice for the Players' Union to take.

For every advantage we can think that the 1yr gives the players, I can also think of an advantage the 1yr gives teams to exploit. As a Players' Union, you can shoot yourself in the foot trying to get ultimate flexibility when your primary goal is to sign longer contracts.

#251 heypartner, Aug 22, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2017
    da_juice likes this.
  12. heypartner

I'm completely the opposite, because Noel's market will be used by Capela's agent. If Capela starts getting 30+ mpg, then Noel is not a comp. But as long as they are both half-a-game players, they remain comparables.

13. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Yeah, I was about to write an additional post about that. Noel is a good comp for Capela. So I am sure the Rockets are watching. RFAs are getting squeezed and it looks to be the same next year.

14. JayZ750

Good points.... though I think players are now starting to come around to the idea of 1 year overpays.
    Generally speaking though, given that ramifications are hard to figure out, I think the best interest of the players is as few restrictions as possible.

15. heypartner

Yeah true. Players don't want RFA at all.

But they also don't mind the fact other teams can't match total pay by the incumbent team under UFA rules. It's funny that Bird Rights are often referred to as player rights. They aren't....it's really team rights, in a Free Agency world that is trying to restrict player salaries with a cap. Since players don't want a cap, that inherently means they don't want their Bird Rights either.

But, I don't see players complaining all that much about preferential treatment the Bird Rights team has. Seems Players' Union is in total equilibrium with restrictions and advantages the Bird exceptions provide. You can actually get a team to overpay per year to match a threatened longer contract or the higher raises. IE, "Hey, if you want me to give up my Bird Rights, you need to make it worth my while (ie overpay)."

Same here.

In this case of a starting bid requirement on offer sheets, I don't view a forced opening bid a restriction on the players. But rather it a restriction on teams that agents can exploit. The elimination of team's right to offer a 1+1 (TO) starting bid is pretty powerful for overall guaranteed salary.

16. hlcc

hlcc Member

Especially for injury prone players. Noel have already missed 135 games due to multiple knee surgeries & knee related problems.

17. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

That sounds like his best case scenario right now. Otherwise Rich Paul has to manufacture leverage. I've heard of agents doing that with talk of other clients they have that are approaching free agency, etc. But that's it. Rich Paul has to either create leverage out of nothing or they'll have to find the best one year deal they can.

18. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

19. YOLO

YOLO Member

wow what a dumb move on his part if true

20. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Just his haircut alone makes him a non-max guy.

"I got these cheeseburgers mannnnnn"