1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Need help buying external hard drives

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by BigSherv, Mar 17, 2014.

1. BigSherv

BigSherv Contributing Member

Hey Amigos,

I want to buy a 3tb external hard drive for my wife. She actually will need two. She is getting a new mac soon so USB 3.0 will be ideal.

So she stores tons of video footage and pictures on them. Idealy it would be nice if you could simply plug it into the USB port and if she needed to transfer a chunk she could plug it into my PC.

I saw these hard drives but they seem to be Mac and PC only and require formatting to switch. That seems like it sucks and these are highly rated.

Anyone have suggestions? I am looking for reliability as my top reason to buy one model over another.

Mac
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1688200382&pf_rd_i=507846

PC
    http://www.amazon.com/Drive-Securit..._sim_pc_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=0Z17B5TPBYCZSGDSRGY9

Do they make a great, reliable external one that works with both Mac and PC.

I saw the top rated drive on Cnet by Buffalo and it seems to be crappy now after users have had it a while.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1688200382&pf_rd_i=507846

Any suggestions?

I already have two of those fireproof, water proof ones in the mail. Those will be her back ups to the back up. I need primary (secondary) storage if you know what I mean.
    http://www.amazon.com/ioSafe-SK3TB-...95112133&sr=1-1&keywords=fireproof+hard+drive

2. Dei

Dei Member

The format's not really an issue since you can just reformat it to whatever you like. Heck, the first thing I do with new HDs is reformat and repartition. Afaik, Mac has drivers for Windows' NTFS partitions and Windows has drivers for Mac's HSF+J so whatever format's not really a problem.

3. Lynus302

Lynus302 Contributing Member

If it's interchangeability between computers you want, Mac's can read FAT32 drives same as a PC, but a PC can't read HFS (unless something has changed that I'm unaware of).

Beat me to it.

So ignore what I said about PC's and HFS.

4. BigSherv

So if I buy the mac version I can find some sort of drivers to be able to use them on my pc if I ever needed to?

5. BigSherv

Hitachi seems to make the most reliable drives. Should I try to find an external one with Hitachi insides?

6. Dei

Dei Member

Yes but I don't know if they're free since I've never needed to read off a Mac disk. But, whatever version of the HD you buy, you can just reformat it.

I've owned every brand of HD and they've all been about the same. HD is probably the component of a PC I'm least picky with. A decent brand, size, price and I'm ok. But take note that some need to be plugged into a wall outlet/have a separate power adapter. These are normally 3.5" drives. The one you picked is this type, it seems from:

[​IMG]

If portability's needed, go for the tiny 2.5" drives. Those just get power from the USB.

7. ChankMcStank

ChankMcStank Member

[​IMG]

8. ChankMcStank

ChankMcStank Member

WTF, I didn't even realize it was a GIF.

9. Dei

Dei Member

That is what you get for trying to be a smartass.

10. ChankMcStank

ChankMcStank Member

Damn, that's what I get; A gif.

11. Jontro

Jontro Member

I got a Maxtor once... have since prayed the owner gets violently hit by a speeding bus.