1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NBA is having discussions about a play-in tournament

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by J.R., Feb 22, 2018.

1. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think it could work if it didn't hurt draft lottery chances. Most teams have a long-term view and a 1% chance of getting a #1 pick is better than a 1% chance of beating a 73-win Warriors team.

2. MSBRockets

MSBRockets Member

If the NBA implemented this right now.. along with the 1-16 idea, it would currently look like this:

Game 1: Utah @ New Orleans
    Game 2: Miami @ LA Clippers
    Game 3: Winner of Game 1 v Winner of Game 2

Winner of Game 3 @ Golden State
    Loser of Game 3 @ Houston

3. Swiss Roll

Swiss Roll Member

TBH the only lottery reform I would like would to be them actually showing the ping-pong machine to live TV, except then they couldn't return favors to owners (AD was given to NO for the new owner buying the team and getting the financial black hole that was NO off the books of the NBA) and create narratives (D-Rose to CHI, CLE getting 3 #1 picks in 4 years)

napalm06 likes this.
  4. SooneRockStro

SooneRockStro Member

Easy solution to the tanking problem is to make all 30 teams eligible for the lottery. Worst team gets 30 ping pong balls while the best team gets 1. I would also do the play-in games for last 2 playoff spots in each league. I would not do 1-16 seeding if they implement play-in games.

5. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I'm not enthusiastic about a play-in... but I guess given it kind of works for MLB, I can see it. Plus, it does kind of get you a bit of that one-and-done feel. And it combats tanking to a degree. But overall, meh.

What I'd like to see that should be pretty easy to get passed.

Normal playoffs as is until the conference finals. Don't call that the conference finals anymore. Call it the NBA Final 4. And then do the matchups based on record.

If the playoffs held true to the top seeds today, then, the final four would be Rockets, Warriors, Raptors, Celtics, with the Rockets playing the Celtics and the Warriors playing the Raptors..

Jontro likes this.
  6. T FOR 3!!!

T FOR 3!!! Member

Good point...

7. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

I don't see purpose of this besides change for change sake. Those bottom teams have almost no chance even ADVANCING in playoffs, much less win a CHAMPIONSHIP
    It works for MLB because playoff field is narrow, those are actually REALLY good teams with decent shot at winning it all. The NBA playoffs are fun but NOT prestigious enough where play-ins even matter. Only maybe a team like Kings or 76'ers it'd matter to just get in

da_juice likes this.
  8. J.R.

J.R. Member

LeBron says idea of a NBA one-and-done play-in tourney is 'wack'

INDEPENDENCE, Ohio -- While the NCAA tournament is capturing the country's imagination once again, LeBron James says the NBA is just fine with its postseason structure as it is.

The Cleveland Cavaliers All-Star does not want to see the league adopt a play-in tourney with one-and-done consequences.

"No, no, no," James said Wednesday. "That's wack. That's wack. Why? You got to earn your spot to be in the postseason. No consolation for finishing last. That's corny. That's corny. That's wack. To play for what? What are they playing for?"

James said the eight teams in each conference that have the best record at the end of the 82-game regular season should be guaranteed a playoff spot, without needing any further qualification.

ESPN's Zach Lowe reported last month that there is "some behind-the-scenes momentum for the idea of a play-in tournament determining the last two seeds in each conference -- to the point that two specific proposals are circulating at the highest levels within teams and the league office."

Lowe reported the play-in proposal that has generated the most discussion, according to several sources: two four-team tournaments featuring the seventh, eighth, ninth and 10th seeds in each conference. The seventh seed would host the eighth seed, with the winner of that single game nabbing the seventh spot, sources say. Meanwhile, the ninth seed would host the 10th seed, with the winner of that game facing the loser of the 7-versus-8 matchup for the final playoff spot.

James appears adamantly against expanding the playoff field in that manner.

"[Make the playoffs by winning the tournament], even if my record is better than yours? Nah, that's wack," James said.​

9. Voltik

Voltik Member

I agree with James. What’s the point of playing 82 games? Why play another game, when 82 were already played? Yeah there might be upsets but who cares as the lower seeds rarely beats a top seed even in the current format.

I rather see them do away with conferences and have the best 16 teams play in the current format.