1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Name an interesting fact you found out during the quarantine

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by RKREBORN, Apr 28, 2020.

1. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Do your own research, live your life, be happy. :)

don grahamleone and cardpire like this.
  2. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

There are three language currently spoken in Scotland. The two I knew about were Scottish English and Scottish Gaelic. The one I did not know about was the Scots language, which derives from the Early Northern Middle English.

1% of Scotland can speak Scottish Gaelic.
    30% of Scotland can speak Scots.

From the Languages of Scotland:

Fun Fact:
    A dialect of Scots, Ulster Scots, is also spoke in Northern Ireland. In the 1600s, 200,000 Scots moved from Scotland to Ulster.

Fun Fact #2:
    Scottish Gaelic, along with modern Manx and Irish, is descended from Middle Irish, a derivative of Old Irish, which is descended in turn from Primitive Irish, the oldest known form of the Goidelic languages.

Fun Fact #3:
    Scottish Gaelic and Irish are generally viewed as being languages in their own right rather than dialects of a single tongue but are sometimes mutually intelligible to a limited degree – especially between southern dialects of Scottish Gaelic and northern dialects of Irish.

#122 No Worries, May 24, 2020
    Last edited: May 24, 2020
  3. Buck Turgidson

And 0% of Scotland can speak English well enough to where I don't have to turn on the closed captioning during one of their movies.

Yung-T, jiggyfly, Xerobull and 2 others like this.
  4. cardpire

cardpire Member

i have. conclusion is that we should be eating protein, not sugar, and certainly not lab-manufactured fake meat.

5. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Fascinating. I wonder if this guy's slight lisp drove him to learn more about language.

6. BabyClutch

BabyClutch Contributing Member

In the medical world, it is well known that a heavy meat (especially red meat) diet is very bad. You will not find recent studies or review articles arguing the other position in medical journals, because there isn't much evidence for it. I myself am a meat eater & I am trying to cut down. Also processed foods are bad. High calorie diets are bad. Eating around the clock is bad. Intermittent fasting is probably good. High fiber diets (eat fruits & veggies) & probiotic foods are good.

Yung-T and Xerobull like this.
  7. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

"Mini-meals can aid in satisfying the appetite, stabilizing blood sugar levels, and providing nutrients to the body throughout the day. Smaller, more frequent meals in your daily eating patterns also can aid in a more efficient metabolism compared to a slower metabolism when meals are skipped."

Not sure if this is what you are referring to, but eating smaller meals more frequently is actually good for you.

8. cardpire

cardpire Member

"Lies My Doctor Told Me" is a good book.

9. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

10. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Kanye West went to multiple art schools in High School and has talent as a painter.

don grahamleone and Yung-T like this.
  11. Buck Turgidson

"Everything In Moderation" is a great read.

cardpire likes this.
  12. No Worries

My small sample size of one says that is wrong.

I am doing TRF and that makes me feel noticeably better. My feed window varies between 4-8 hours everyday. BTW I don’t eat less calories.

13. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

If he moves to Germany watch out.

Yung-T and Buck Turgidson like this.
  14. Buck Turgidson

No Worries likes this.
  15. STR8Thugg

That's fine I guess, but it's really not debatable that eating smaller, more frequent meals will help boost metabolism. It's a basic biochemistry concept. I know plenty of people that have success with intermittent fasting, but I don't see it as useful for a complete lifestyle change. It's an interesting method to try for a while, but I have serious doubts about the long-term viability of that kind of diet. Still, fasting has been shown to help "reset" the body's organ systems. Kind of like re-booting a computer, but I think that speaks to my skepticism that it would be a good idea to try long-term.

16. No Worries

Scientific studies wrt TRF can be found here (click the Sources Cited tab), if you are curious:

Time-Restricted Eating Put to the Test

17. STR8Thugg

Interesting...although unless I missed something it seems that TRF doesn't seem to be a good idea for healthy, lean, males. It seems its biggest benefit is in individuals that are obese or that have health conditions as a result of poor diet.

18. No Worries

My take away is that it is good for anybody. I use TRF and I do not lose weight. If I added calorie restriction to TRF, I would certainly lose weight.

FWIW there are some world class athletes who swear by TRF. See Dr Peter Attia.

19. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

It took me a while to get this.

Nice.

20. BabyClutch

BabyClutch Contributing Member

NEJM came out w/ a very nice review article in December on intermittent fasting. People generally talk about it in regards to losing weight, but there is quite a bit of evidence to show that it is generally good to do as it appears to slow aging & disease. The idea being that humans (and animals) were never meant to eat around the clock & usually fasted for long periods of time. This is in contrast to a previous idea that eating little bit all the time like foraging was the healthy & natural thing to do.

sci-hub.tw/10.1056/NEJMra1905136

Yung-T, KingCheetah and No Worries like this.