1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[music] New Wave/Post-Punk vs. Revivalist bands

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by the futants, Oct 29, 2009.

Tags:
  1. saintja2

saintja2 Contributing Member

I'm not trying to sound rude but you want opinions on music and then you want to deny us the opportunity to recommend or suggest bands, songs or whatever that doesn't fit your already constructed possibly quite narrowminded opinion?

This is really not my genre, at least not the older stuff (and some of the newer stuff doesn't really fit your definition), but most of the music these names you listed have done is very mediocre if not absolute garbage. IMO there's nowadays enough ways to find good music to not limit yourself to buying full albums of filler from the "names".

And I don't really have any "definitive" bands/artists to add as it really isn't my genre. I'm just glad that he music industry's way of stuffing the music down our throats, by making us buy a albums where there are maybe a few really good tunes while the rest is instantly forgettable, is coming to an end.

Sorry if I sound a bit elitist, but that's the way I feel about these things.

2. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

Listening a lot to groups in both camps reminds me how incredibly influential Jim Morrison is on all of these vocals. It's funny how uncool the Doors became after the Oliver Stone movie, but there is no Iggy Pop, Ian Curtis, or Ian McCulloch (and the scores of modern bands influenced by them) without Morrison.

3. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

Also: The Fall are the best of the bunch and still going strong. For real.

4. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

As an older guy who experienced and enjoyed most of those earlier bands listed firsthand in my 70's heyday I appreciate you guys bringing up the modern day bands carrying on the music.

Not as able to keep up myself, so it is greatly appreciated and I look forward to checking some of these guys out.

My oldest boy was playing some band, not sure of the name, but I heard it and said they sounded just like Gang of Four. When I put on Entertainment, he was shocked.

I was a big Stranglers fan. Any of these new bands go that route?

5. the futants

the futants Contributing Member

Hilarious post.
    Just so you know, I was stating that I didn't really feel the need to list a bunch of obscure stuff that virtually nobody on this board would have recognized.
    Thanks for assuming, genius. I do find it comical that you would feel confident in asserting that I might be narrow-minded from one post from last year. Nice one.
    Welcome to the party.

6. saintja2

saintja2 Contributing Member

Well, I guess I just misunderstood the line about the obscure stuff. Sorry about that.

And I didn't say you were narrow-minded but ignoring the "obscure" stuff - what I thought you wanted to do - often leads to narrow-mindedness in my experience. I guess I should have read your post more carefully.

7. the futants

the futants Contributing Member

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/WeVRYPjcVXg&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/WeVRYPjcVXg&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

8. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

Argh - bringing another old thread back to life..

You do know that Gang of Four is releasing a new studio album near the end of January called "Content"? Two weeks before it comes out, Wire is releasing their newest studio album as well in "Red Barked Tree".

DCKid hit the nail on the head (like he normally does) but if you really listen to "Entertainment" and then the debut by Franz Ferdinand, it is obvious that FF is performing an "Entertainment!" tribute album. And as much as I love Bloc Party and especially their debut, they are to Gang of Four what Interpol is to Joy Division.

9. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

That was the band he played for me. I preferred Gang of Four. Proudly for me, so did he.

10. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

Thread revival...

wasn't too much into Visage when they first came out...was probably a bit too young to appreciate them. But have started really digging Fade To Grey lately so I googled the band and saw that they had just released a new *album*. Great sound if you long for some 80s new wave/new romanticism sounds.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/k-tgN0q35s8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/FNVS1LLCnBE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/D5XppkE6voE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/EmZbucKdLJA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/4T-sPVlJdu0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

11. Raven

Raven Member

Something like this?

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/8KqrFbLkA6s" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

12. stipendlax

stipendlax Member

'Pink Flag' is one of my favorite albums ever.

Doing a Wire cover set sometime during Christmas. Ya'll come out.

Manny Ramirez likes this.
  13. GIGO

GIGO Member

Divine Alison Moyet & young Vince Clarke

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/bW6h6AM5mzM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/nJD7x-nKPTo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

14. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

It still astonishes me how much Alison Moyet has changed...[​IMG]

15. GIGO

GIGO Member

16. Raven

Raven Member

It's not uncommon for ex fatties to rubber band too far the other direction. I've seen someone go through that. They replace one disorder for another.

17. the shark

the shark Member

Surprised nobody ever mentioned The Judy's from here in Houston

18. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

Iceage is a pretty cool recent band I like. Kind of a mix of hardcore and post-punk.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/wtIbGik0Sys" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

19. kidcave9

kidcave9 Contributing Member

this guy makes some really good mixes of synthpop/new wave

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/n3X7f6Y8Rfk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

los prisioneros, best band ever

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/WQgp2ujwF4s" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

i hear depeche mode

20. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

So it is 5 and a half years later, I can honestly say that post-punk is by far my favorite genre of music - more than shoegazing, brit pop, progressive rock, free jazz, dub, or anything else that you can name. I am going to update the opening post by the futants to include these essential post-punk bands and then include another to include the post-punk revivalists:

Post-Punk
    Joy Division
    Public Image Limited
    Gang of Four
    Wire
    Siouxsie and the Banshees
    The Sound
    The Fall
    Pere Ubu
    The Pop Group
    Swell Maps
    Killing Joke
    The Cure
    The Cult
    The Comsat Angels
    The Chameleons
    A Certain Ratio
    Liquid Liquid
    James Chance and the Contortions
    The Au Pairs
    The Associates
    Josef K
    The Jesus and Mary Chain
    The Cocteau Twins
    The Virgin Prunes
    R.E.M. (early)
    U2 (early)
    The Church
    Dif Juz
    Echo & the Bunnymen
    ESG
    Essential Logic
    The Stranglers
    The Smiths
    Simple Minds
    Sisters of Mercy
    Sad Lovers & Giants
    XTC
    Young Marble Giants
    Suburban Lawns
    Television
    Talking Heads
    Orange Juice
    Icicle Works
    Human Sexual Response/The Zulus
    The Birthday Party/Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds
    The Psychedelic Furs
    Lowlife
    Magazine
    Mission of Burma
    Bauhaus
    The Glaxo Babies
    Maximum Joy
    Rip Rig and Panic
    The Raincoats
    The Slits
    Pylon
    The Membranes
    Swans
    Soft Boys
    Suicide
    The Teardrop Explodes
    Theatre of Hate
    This Heat
    The Wipers

I'll do the Post-Punk Revival Bands in the next post.

boomboom and FranchiseBlade like this.