1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[music] New Wave/Post-Punk vs. Revivalist bands

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by the futants, Oct 29, 2009.

Tags:
  1. the futants

the futants Contributing Member

Another Manny-inspired music thread. There has been a trend over the last decade to "bring back" some of the sounds popularized in the late 70s/early 80s by bands labeled "New Wave" or "Post-punk" or whatever.
    I'm a huge proponent of the original movement since that's the music that hit me during adolescence. I have enjoyed many of the "revivalist" bands, but some of them really do nothing for me.
    Anybody else into either the original wave or the newer one or both? Neither?

(I listed recognizable or more obvious bands for both. No need to list a bunch of obscure stuff from either of these scenes...)

New Wave/Post-Punk
    DEVO
    Bauhaus
    Joy Division/New Order
    Suburban Lawns
    Visage
    Adam and the Ants
    Bow Wow Wow
    Talking Heads
    Oingo Boingo
    B-52s
    Television
    The Runaways
    The Cure
    Siouxsie and the Banshees
    Depeche Mode
    A Flock of Seagulls
    Human League
    Gang of Four
    OMD
    Tubeway Army/Gary Numan
    Soft Cell
    The Fall
    Public Image Ltd.
    Magazine
    Echo and the Bunnymen
    Pere Ubu
    Pylon
    Wire
    Blondie
    The Buggles
    Thomas Dolby
    Cabaret Voltaire
    A Certain Ratio
    The Cars
    Berlin
    Toni Basil
    The (English) Beat
    Modern English
    Klaus Nomi
    The Selecter
    Wall of Voodoo

New-New Wave/Post-Post-Punk
    Trans Am
    The Faint
    Six Finger Satellite
    Colder
    Braniac
    Interpol
    The Rapture
    Moving Units
    Servotron
    Fischerspooner
    Ladytron
    Les Savy Fav
    Chicks on Speed
    LCD Soundsystem
    Yacht
    The Juan Maclean
    !!!
    Out Hud
    Death From Above 1979
    New Young Pony Club
    The Epoxies
    Chromatics
    Enon
    Hot Chip
    I Am Spoonbender
    The Futureheads
    Clinic
    Numbers
    Glass Candy
    Erase Errata
    Polysics
    Japanic

Got any opinions? Thoughts? Manny?

2. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

Wow, I must be getting really old...I've only heard of about 4 of the new bands you listed.

I was really into Joy Division, PIL & Echo & the Bunnymen & The Smiths as a teen. What do you recommend on the new stuff?

3. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

You listed all those older bands and left the one that many of them are ripping off and that is the Chameleons, who are the missing link btw Echo, Joy Divison and U2. And all those new bands you listed, if I wanna hear that style of music I'll go straight to the source, which is the Chameleons. Thoughts? I cannot WAIT until the 90's are in vouge and kill off all this fake ass music that is around these days. Sorry abit PO'd at the moment! :p

4. the futants

Geez, guy. I was just listing bands. I wasn't attempting to make a complete list of groups from that era.
    I like the Chameleons as much as the next guy, but...they didn't even come into the scene until around 1981 (first album in 1983?). Many of the bands I listed date from the 70s. Some, as is the case with DEVO, go back to at least 1974.

Can there really be "fake" music? I mean...if it's played...it's "real," right? No matter how bad it is...

5. Shovel Face

Shovel Face Member

Shrunken nostalgia cycle.

6. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

Sure, didn't mean to put you on blast. Fake music is, IMO, any music where image and style are equal to or more important than the music. And to my ears and eyes that is quite a few bands these days.

7. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

do you mind giving a few examples?

8. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

Interesting thread, futants. As you will clearly see, I am more into the old-school, new wave/post-punk groups compared to the revivalist ones:

New Wave/Post-Punk
    DEVO
    Bauhaus
    Joy Division/New Order
    Visage
    Adam and the Ants
    Bow Wow Wow
    Talking Heads
    Oingo Boingo
    B-52s
    Television
    The Runaways
    The Cure
    Siouxsie and the Banshees
    Depeche Mode
    A Flock of Seagulls
    Human League
    Gang of Four
    OMD
    Tubeway Army/Gary Numan
    Soft Cell
    The Fall
    Public Image Ltd.
    Magazine
    Echo and the Bunnymen
    Pere Ubu
    Wire
    Blondie
    The Buggles
    Thomas Dolby
    Cabaret Voltaire
    The Cars
    Berlin
    Toni Basil
    The (English) Beat
    Modern English
    Wall of Voodoo

New-New Wave/Post-Post-Punk
    Interpol
    The Rapture
    LCD Soundsystem
    The Futureheads

All of these groups are ones that I have stuff by or at least want to get stuff by. I'll also include in the first list Ultravox, Talk Talk (at least their early stuff), Japan, The Smiths, and later era Roxy Music. I love a lot of these groups as I have multiple albums by The Cure, Blondie, The Cars, and Siouxsie and the Banshees. I just started getting into Magazine and Public Image Limited and would like to have all their studio albums. I know that Pere Ubu is classified by many to be post-punk but I really think they are more experimental than anything else.

Interpol is by far my favorite band of the revivalist groups but I would also throw in The Killers and Bloc Party as well. Also Kasabian isn't a bad group that I was looking into getting. Liars is another band that at first showed a heavy Gang of Four and Wire influence but then changed gears completely on their 2nd album (They Were Wrong, So We Drowned) and showed more of a Krautrock and early PiL influence. There are a couple of things about Liars that I like - they have been influential on Radiohead, every one of their albums sounds nothing like the one before it, and I have seen them live before (they opened for Interpol in the Fall of 2007).

Japan and Ultravox are 2 groups that I think are unique in that they radically changed their sounds. Japan started out as a glam rock, trash type band that by their 3rd album had morphed into a synth band. Their 5th and final studio album, "Tin Drum" is absolutely incredible and recommended to all fans of that genre. Ultravox lost their original lead singer, John Foxx, after their 3rd album but brought in Midge Ure from Visage (and a lot of other groups) and became hugely successful in Europe with their 4th album, "Vienna". They had quite a bit of success in Europe but was barely heard from in the US (as quite often is the case). If you love synth music, you'll love the Midge Ure-led Ultravox although early Ultravox is good too but more like Gary Numan (who they influenced).

I could probably talk about this some more especially on how important and influential The Smiths were (shame on you futants for leaving them out of your list :p ;) ), but I am trying to wrap some stuff up at work so I can go home. Maybe I will say some stuff about the greatness of Morrissey and Marr later.

9. Hobbs

Hobbs Member

10. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

haha - johnny is from houston - i knew him very well growing up. he could have either been in a band or been a cult leader - glad he chose the former. their records are ok, but they do put on a good live show.

11. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

Saw them at the Mink a few years back. She stepped on my toe.

12. AXG

AXG Member

I know most of the bands on the first list but like only three on the second list.

13. cwebbster

cwebbster Contributing Member

Where is U2 on that list?

14. the futants

Just to reiterate...neither of these lists are by any means definitive. These are bands that I listed off the top of my head. Please consider any glaring omission a result of years of...abuse, or something.

Of the new stuff listed, I would recommend...a lot of it, really. If you like the nuances of Ian Curtis' voice, check out Interpol. The rest of the stuff I listed is extremely varied in style.
    Trans Am relies more on an almost "prog" approach to song structure. They're also almost exclusively instrumental.
    Servotron is much more "herky-jerky" music, reminiscent of earlier DEVO (as are Numbers, Polysics and Japanic).
    Les Savy Fav takes a more "rock" approach to Gang of Four. They rule.
    Colder sounds like a logical progression from Bauhaus/Tones on Tail.
    Out Hud, !!!, New Young Pony Club and Glass Candy are more along the lines of "dance punk" and the like.
    I Am Spoonbender surfs the line between experimental and new wave. Very intriguing music...
    It goes on and on...
    I consider myself a pretty jaded character when it comes to music. I've relied on the standards (from "punk" and "new wave") for most of my life. I realized somewhere along the way that there really are some quality bands out there trying to make creative music these days. I resisted heavily. Once I found a couple of bands I liked, I was bombarded by stuff that struck my fancy one way or another.

The purpose of this thread was simply to see if there were any other folks into some of the same sounds as I am. Nothing more, nothing less.

I apologize if I left off some of your favorite bands in the lists. It was unintentional. I'm somewhat scatterbrained when it comes to music. I have thousands of pieces of vinyl, more CDs and hundreds of gigs of mp3s. My tastes in music vary from the new wave and punk to classic rock and jazz. Just trying to break the ice here...

Have a great day.

15. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Nothing beats the originals -- but it is interesting that the 'new-new wave' is pretty old now.

16. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Agree that there is a lot of crap out there these days on mainstream radio, but there are a ton of great new bands out there now making really good music. You just have to look in the right place. First step is to forget FM radio and invest in SIRIUS/XM.

17. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Post-Punk? Howabout just Punk instead of a lot of this emo-punk stuff now?

18. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Anybody want a Pabst Blue Ribbon?

19. aghast

aghast Member

Echo (no Bunnymen) on this sentiment.

I've been on a Tubeway Army/Numan kick for a while. '80s music has a bad reputation, but Numan figured out how to use the synthesizer ironically, to bring focus to modernity's isolating tendencies. I consider these pretty much perfect songs:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ldyx3KHOFXw&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ldyx3KHOFXw&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/fofzrDD8IG8&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/fofzrDD8IG8&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I can hit repeat ten or twenty times on those without getting tired of it. And Joy Division is one of my favorite bands.

I really liked a Killers album that came out a few years ago; I can see the linkage. I keep seeing Interpol on best of lists; I need to check them out. Thanks, Manny & the futants for the recommendations.

("Manny & the futants" would be a great name for a New-New-New Wave band, no?)

20. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Interpol is awesome. Turn on the Bright Lights is a revelation.