1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Movie] Venom

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Juxtaposed Jolt, Mar 4, 2016.

1. Juxtaposed Jolt

http://variety.com/2016/film/news/spiderman-spinoff-venom-screenwriter-1201723111/

http://io9.gizmodo.com/spider-man-m...utm_source=io9_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow

[​IMG]

Hopefully, they don't get this guy to play Venom again:

[​IMG]

2. Jontro

Jontro Member

So they're making a movie where the title character is a bad guy? Is Spiderman going to be in this? If not, it'll just be him killing a bunch of innocent people then? Interesting.

3. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Val Kilmer is rubbing on his reverse-aging cream as we speak

4. Rodman23

Rodman23 .GIF

couldnt believe the best they could find was that twigboy foreman last time

DudeWah likes this.
  5. Juxtaposed Jolt

I think they're trying to stay away from mentioning Spider-Man. But I don't know how you have a villain without its matching superhero.

1 person likes this.
  6. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Isn't venom an anti hero in the comic books right now?

7. Jontro

Jontro Member

Didn't know that. But who is his enemy?

Like Juxtaposed Breh said, it would be weird without Spiderman.

8. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I'm a Marvel guy and my reaction is: Whatever! :rolleyes:

Like always, I guess it depends mostly on how good the script is and how well they execute it.

My son will be all over this but they better include Spiderman at least a little.

9. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Probably more the antihero route... maybe even finally throwing together the whole Spider-Man/Venom vs. Carnage, Or at least heading that way. They've been trying to make something work for awhile.

Lol, on a side note Marvel/DC couldn't make movies that easy before. Now though it's like they're making them at a pretty fast clip since the film tech is finally there, and I'm wondering when this bottoms out for Hollywood. I know that last Fantastic 4 wasn't too kind to them on the box office performance vs their other "prints money" titles, so hopefully since they're going to continue they don't just randomly throw more **** together, or make poor efforts on film adaptations hoping that the name/effects will save it. Don't get me wrong, I like most of these movies, I'm just not sure every character needs a film adaptation or continual reboot. Then again a few failures might help so the quality stays strong.

10. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

For a better part of 20 years... he had his own comic line start back in 94 - 96 ish.

He was the comic book age of what we could consider anti-heroes, like Deadpool, Spawn, and Lady Death.

11. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Seems like there might be a lot of technicalities involved now that Spider-Man is part of the Marvel verse. Venom appearing in a movie with Spidey technically put him in the same universe with them as well.

I imagine them and Marvel could get on the same page. While they may not reap the benefits of Venom film rights, they do hold his merchandising and TV rights. If this adds value to the Venom character, it helps Marvel. If they are actually gonna try and isolate him from Spider-Man, it would be pretty freaking lame, and a bad financial call IMO.

It would give them R rated freedom now that it's all the rage.

12. Blurr#7

Blurr#7 Contributing Member

Damn you Sony!!

13. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Can someone explain Venom briefly for a novice viewer?

He's just like Spiderman but wearing club attire and sporting a nasty attitude, right?

DudeWah likes this.
  14. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Here's the main thing that differentiates the two:

15. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Lord have mercy.

16. Jmcballer88

Jmcballer88 Contributing Member

17. Ender120

Ender120 Contributing Member

Venom's entire history is completely tied to Spider-Man.

Spider-Man brings the symbiote back to Earth with him from space, and gets rid of it when he discovers that it's actually an alien trying to bond with him mentally. The symbiote hates him for the rejection.

Eddie Brock is a journalist who (unknowingly, as far as I remember) falsely accuses a man of being a murderer, only for Spider-Man to catch the real killer.

The Spider-Man-hating symbiote runs across the Spider-Man-hating Eddie Brock as Brock is getting ready to kill himself over his disgrace, and they bond completely, becoming Venom.

Also, because the symbiote used to be Spider-Man's, Brock now knows that Spider-Man is Peter Parker, and immediately goes about messing with his personal life.

Everything about Venom is because of Spider-Man.

Sony has said that this movie will have nothing to do with Spider-Man.

So... I'm pretty sure they're going to **** it up.

18. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Flash Thompson could have plenty of stories without spiderman. They proved that in the books with Rick Remender in 2011.

19. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

This is terrible news. Surprised no one has said that yet considering y'all comic book nerds are always so negative. Lulz. Sony will ruin another property. This needs to be Marvel's. I thought it would be Marvel's.

I was thinking Infinity Wars would end, RDJ would be about out, you have Spiderman as your big ticket item replacing Iron Man and maybe he brings back the symbiote from space after they handle the Thanos business.

Instead we're gonna get some ****ty Sony version where the symbiote was made in a factory and some ex-banker stumbles upon it in a drunken stupor and redeems himself by going after corporate CEO's or something stupid.

Meanwhile, Marvel's Spiderman is going to be stuck fighting that wheel of fortune machine.

20. Ender120

Ender120 Contributing Member

Flash Thompson idolized Spider-Man while bullying Peter Parker. He's just as connected to Spider-Man.

I love Agent Venom, he's my favorite incarnation of the symbiote, but it had gone through many hosts by that point. You can't just skip straight to him without the backstory leading up to it.