1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Movie] M. Night's "Glass"

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Buck Turgidson, Jul 20, 2018.

1. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

2. CCorn

CCorn Member

That stinks if this is bad. I enjoyed the other two in the universe

justtxyank and jcf like this.
  3. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

The Sixth Sense was obviously awesome. I thought Unbreakable was mostly buildup; being Shyamalan’s sophomore effort, I think we were all expecting A Really Big F***ing Twist. Signs was really good although the ending left me a little “meh”. The Village? Too far to fetch.

4. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I thought the twist in The Village actually took away from the movie significantly. He did a sensational job with atmosphere IMO, a better non twist ending would have made it my second favorite movie after Sixth Sense.

He was probably my favorite director going after those first four movies, then he just started making absolute trash.

fallenphoenix likes this.
  5. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Yeah, the twist for The Village was s-t-o-o-p-i-d. I am glad he's had something of a resurgence. He was getting kicked a lot when down.

6. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Actually, his films DID stop making money around Lady in the Water timeframe. He sort of went into director jail for a while because of it. But what he did, starting with his movie The Visit, was to finance them himself. Then he financed Split with like $5-10 million of his own money and it did fantastic, which I think allowed him to finance Glass himself ($20 million budget). I loved his early movies, including Unbreakable, but definitely did not care for his later ones. Still, I can admire the guy for sticking to his guns and putting his own funds at risk for his success. If Glass breaks out at the box office (I know critic respond has been poor so far) I'm sure M Night will get a HUGE chunk of that since he financed it himself. Good for him.

jcf, ROXTXIA and CCity Zero like this.
  7. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Thanks for correcting me, I completely forgot about this. You're right, I mean if it's his budget and he loves doing it, go for it.

8. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

It looks like he'll be doing pretty well after this opening.....

“Glass” Aims For $65-70M Opening Weekend

Unsurprisingly, M. Night Shyamalan’s thriller “Glass” will dominate the domestic box office over the Martin Luther King Jr. holiday weekend.

Despite very average reviews for the combined “Unbreakable” and “Split” sequel, “Glass” is expected to make between $60-75 million during its first four days of release.

That’s pretty great for a film that cost a mere $20 million to produce which Shyamalan self-financed, and thus will get most of the profits himself.

“Glass” is the only wide opener this week and its only real competition is the second week of “The Upside” which is expected to score another $15 million over the four days, and no real major newcomers until “The LEGO Movie 2: The Second Part” on February 8th.

Source: Variety

http://www.darkhorizons.com/glass-aims-for-65-70m-opening-weekend/

jcf, conquistador#11 and daywalker02 like this.
  9. PhiSlammaJamma

In May 2011, the United States Bureau of Labor Statistics reported the average film director earns an average of $92,220 per year. Since M Night's sucking is below average at this point, his 40M sounds like a pretty good deal.

10. PhiSlammaJamma

TOP DOLLAR Sources say Ridley Scott received $10 million to $12 million up front for Alien: Covenant but took a smaller paycheck to shoot the more personal drama All the Money in the World (between $1 million and $3 million).

MIDDLE DOLLAR Patty Jenkins got only $1 million to direct Wonder Woman, but her salary has jumped for the sequel — she'll be getting $8 million to $9 million, making her the highest-paid female director ever.

BOTTOM DOLLAR Newish (or indie) directors jumping into the studio pool for the first time can expect to make about $400,000 to $500,000, although Jordan Vogt-Roberts is said to have made closer to $750,000 for Kong: Skull Island (Legendary tends to overspend). Even Simon Kinberg, among the highest-paid producers and screenwriters in town, took a pay cut (he'll make only $500,000) for his directorial debut, X-Men: Dark Phoenix.

11. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

So... Who watched this ???? Haha, unless I missed something it was trash...

tinman likes this.
  12. CCorn

CCorn Member

I enjoyed it

jcf likes this.
  13. Severe Rockets Fan

Severe Rockets Fan Takin it one stage at a time...

Saw it yesterday...I thought it was good! Not sure if people were going into this hoping to change their lives...but meh...to each his own. I go into a movie looking to be entertained...not to find meaning in life. McAvoy...man, the dude is incredible. Not sure if y’all saw the rule of three throughout the movie...it’s the new “red” that was in the sixth sense. I thought it was kind of cool.

#53 Severe Rockets Fan, Jan 19, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2019
  14. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

I bet you haven't even seen it. You seem like THAT person.

15. CCorn

CCorn Member

I give it a 7. Glad I saw it.

Severe Rockets Fan likes this.
  16. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

I saw it for real, I liked the first 1/2 and while I understand it was M. Night's movie I just didn't really care about the wrap up/end (I literally went in with no expectations). Not trying to spoil it for anyone still wanting to watch it, I just think there were better ways for it to conclude. Feels similar to some of his other movies, and if this was his big vision for the end it would have been better leaving Unbreakable/Split alone and as independent films.

But hey, he's going to make a ton here, so he can make another movie, hahah

#56 CCity Zero, Jan 20, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2019
  17. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Oh one last thing, McAvoy was awesome, I do agree with that.

BamBam likes this.
  18. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Without McAvoy, I would have given this movie a solid 4 out of 10. 6 out of 10.

CCity Zero likes this.
  19. Falcons Talon

Falcons Talon Contributing Member

McAvoy definitely stole the show. The movie was ok, but if i knew then what i know now, I'd have waited for Redbox.

CCity Zero and jev5555 like this.
  20. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

This...