1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Movie] Deadpool 2

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Xerobull, Feb 15, 2016.

1. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Since it's been greenlit (and probably fast-tracked), starting a thread. See the after-credit scene in Deadpool 1 for more info.

WARNING: SPOILERS if you haven't seen Deadpool 1

Deadpool 2 Is Already In The Works, Here's What We Know

In case you hadn't noticed, Deadpool is getting quite a bit of buzz. Critics have been giving it positive reviews the last few days, raising its profile, and right now it looks like the comic book movie could make as much as $70 million in its first weekend. So you know what that means... it's sequel time!

[​IMG]

The Hollywood Reporter has gotten word from its sources that 20th Century Fox is already very eager for more Deadpool action, and have apparently given Deadpool 2 the green light behind closed doors. As you probably could have guessed, Ryan Reynolds will be back in the titular role, and the trade says that Rhett Reese and Paul Wernick - producers on the film and the only writers to work on the script - will be taking care of the screenplay.

If the trade's sources are correct, that's three big and important names being brought back for Deadpool 2, but the big question mark of the moment seems to be surrounding director Tim Miller. The filmmaker signed on to make the first Deadpool movie all the way back in April 2011, but apparently is not contracted for a follow-up. That being said, the report says that Fox is eager to keep the four key players together, so Miller will probably be back in the director's chair again.

Story-wise, there really is an incredible number of directions that Deadpool 2 can go in - as he has been a character consistently featured in Marvel Comics for decades (on beyond his own series, which passed 250 issues last year). One popular option that fans have been clamoring for would be to see him as part of a team-up film - specifically X-Force:

[​IMG]

If you wanted to make X-Force as a completely separate project, however, there would also be the option of simply making Deadpool 2 as Deadpool & Cable - a buddy movie that features the Merc With The Mouth teaming up with/annoying the piss out of Cable, an incredibly powerful mutant from the future who also happens to be Cyclops' son. The studio could always follow Deadpool & Cable with X-Force, given that Cable was the original leader of the team:

[​IMG]

Right now we don't have any firm details about the story direction for Deadpool 2, or when 20th Century Fox has plans to release it, but we will be hungrily waiting for it. In the meantime, what do you want to see from the Deadpool sequel? Leave your thoughts in the comments below!

2. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

If they call Deadpool 2 "Deadpool & Cable", I'll lose my ****.

3. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Cable has a big backstory. I'm familiar with a lot of major plotlines involving Cable. None of the ones that come to mind included Deadpool in a major way. They don't even seem to mesh to me. Other than Liefeld creating both of them - what's the appeal?

Seems like you might squander a big player like Cable by using him in a gimmick movie.

4. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

It's the odd couple buddy comedy aspect of it. One's a sloppy wackjob, the other an uptight conservative. Hi-jinks ensue.

5. Jontro

Jontro Member

It'll be like Ride Along or Rush Hour... a buddying movie about total opposites who struggle at first in getting along, but as time goes by, they find more things in common and grew to become best friends.

6. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

You sure about that?

[​IMG]

7. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Yep, never read it or heard about a major development coming out of it. Like I said - what's the appeal? What happens?

8. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

Too many different things to explain. This is a long running series.
    It's like the others have said, it's basically the odd couple with superpowers.
    They have tied into major events, however.

Deadpool usually isn't the main guy in any story, except his own because of how over the top he is.
    For example during the recent Secret Wars, there was a spin off called Deadpool's Secret Secret Wars, which showed how everything that happened in the original Secret Wars, was a lie and Deadpool actually saved the day.

Massive image
    [​IMG]

9. Nero

Nero Member

It's kind of freaky that Liefeld is being featured so prominently in this whole thing.. I mean his name shows up printed a few times, and you even hear one of the characters in the Merc Bar say 'Liefeld!' very clearly.. it's just weird because Rob Liefeld is almost universally despised within the industry and is regarded as the worst comic artist out there.

That whole comic book scene is not my thing, I have just read a few lengthy articles about the situation, and how poor his behavior has been, and how ridiculed his art has been.

This picture shows it - the top body is completely out of proportion, and the barrel of the weapon isn't even straight.

I loved the movie, but have never read any Deadpool comic, nor, as far as I know, have I ever read any comic book he has drawn. But the articles I read showed numerous examples, and this cover just adds to the information I read a few years ago.

Funny how life works.

*I found the articles I had read a couple years ago.. man these guys HATE Rob liefeld.. I mean HAAAAAAATE the guy. And honestly, I get what they mean, the examples they provide are some of the worst amateurish 'art' I have ever seen.

http://www.progressiveboink.com/2012/4/21/2960508/worst-rob-liefeld-drawings

and

http://www.progressiveboink.com/2012/6/14/3084348/the-second-40-worst-rob-liefeld-drawings

Couldn't find the one talking about how poor his behavior had been, but it was pretty damning too as I remember.

Oh well, the guy is probably rolling in gold coins now..

10. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

You do understand other than being one of the characters creators he has nothing to do with the movie right?

11. Nero

Nero Member

I know, that's what I mean by it being a little freaky that he is so prominently placed in it, that's all.

12. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

They're paying homage to him, I don't see the problem. You don't have to like someone to be respectful towards them.

13. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

14. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

Fox is going to find some way to screw this up, guaranteed.

15. Junkyard_Dog

Junkyard_Dog Member

Usually sequels is where they shine(X2, Days of Future Past)...its that third movie you have to worry about.

Hopefully they get it figured out, but I feel fast-tracking it may hurt the movie.

A Deadpool movie is the perfect way to introduce Cable in my opinion. With Deadpool they can break the fourth wall to explain Cable's convoluted back story

16. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

Tim Miller was at least 40% of why that movie was awesome. They're going to have issues replacing him.

17. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

What did he bring to the table? What parts would you say were 100% Tim Miller?

Rocket River
    I am unfamiliar with his other work

18. PhiSlammaJamma

Last movie was very good, different, fun, but definitely walked a fine line. The side kick characters and side kick humor were eh too. So they can button up some things, but high risk high reward type of movie.

19. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

It won the first time. . . . so that gives it a better chance to succeed

Rocket River

20. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Director bailing is a huge red flag. Tim Miller bailing is even bigger flag. He was involved from the beginning on the first movie timewise more so than ryan reynolds. Disagreements and hardship tend to produce better movies. At this point RR can probably just hire any lackey he wants and it will be a RR directed movie.