1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Most Important Offseason Will Be This Year

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Zoplicone, Feb 23, 2020.

1. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

We still have a season to finish out and a title run this year.

But if we’re being honest, it was only a few months ago that a lot of us figured this season was going to be our last chance for a shot at the title with this core. And yet now, with just one trade, I couldn’t have a more positive outlook for this off season and next year.

The only player we are at risk of losing from our rotation is Rivers. Everyone else is locked up for the next few seasons (except PJ and Ben are only locked for one). Harden, Westbrook, Roco, EG, PJ, Ben, House, and Austin are all roughly the same age, with House slightly younger and PJ slightly older, but none have shown that they are over the hill yet.

We rag on Tilman and have every reason to doubt him, but if we want to be optimists we can say he wasn’t really given as good of a reason to hit the Luxury Tax until now. I can see Morey re-sign Austin at a fair contract, which would mean that we need to make no more additions to our guards and smaller wings. We would be in the Luxury Tax, but we would also use our full MLE on one player this time, rather than hold onto it or split up like we have in the past. That could get us a solid versatile big/forward. And there is also the option of trading EG for a player looking to sign and trade if EG holds a little value. A lot of interesting names out there this summer. Serge, Gallo, Joe Harris. Not saying we will get one of those guys necessarily, but at least we won’t have to build a team around Harden and CP3 on the fly, replace Ariza and Luc, or fix our roster with adding Westbrook and try to figure out how to get another wing rather than start EG, which was our summers the last three years. We are simply adding this summer.

I’m hyped for the rest of this year. And I’m also hyped for this off season. And The Harden Era is nowhere near done!

EDIT: Morey is a genius.

#1 Zoplicone, Feb 23, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2020
  2. dakeem1

dakeem1 Member

Our title window is open as long as Harden is on contract (next 3 seasons)... or if he forces a trade like so many in this player empowerment era.

I agree that i was down and out about this season, until we the RETURN OF OF OUR LORD!

Can we continue down this extreme small ball path for the next 3 seasons and win the title? Who knows? All I know is if we DON'T win the title, I think Harden signs elsewhere in 2023.

RudyTBag and Zoplicone like this.
  3. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

I'd like to go after Jerami Grant this summer. I've liked him since he was in OKC. He's super athletic, an effortless shooter, and lengthy. His blocks and threes would fit right in. He's also good in transition. Maybe Russ can recruit him and we steal him from Denver.

Sen89, ROCK3TM4N, amaru and 5 others like this.
  4. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Honestly I think this team is always going to be in the mix as long as Morey's running the show. He's reloaded and retooled 3-4 times in 12 years and never had a sub .500 year while getting to the WCF twice , both times let down by flat tires.

And being willing to take a risk like he did this season ? What other GM would be willing to take on that type of risk ? The answer is NONE in the history of the league.

Harden and Westbrook are great players but the orchestrator of this whole mess is Morey ..... The cast changes but the results have been real good the last 12 years and they've been real contenders multiple years during that span - even if they haven't won it all , it aint for lack of jumping out there where others wont go.

And doing all this with two cheap ass owners ....

5. DeBeards

DeBeards Member

wow…speaking of Jerami Grant, he would be the best fit in our super small-ball lineup! Imagine both he n RoCo on the floor gonna scare the **** out of Gobert n other bigs

[​IMG]

BHannes2BHonest and Tfor3 like this.
  6. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

Correct me if I’m wrong but I think we’re eligible for the $8 Mil mid level next summer. If we offer him that full amount it’s possible we can get him. He has a player option for $9 something. He’ll definitely have to want to come here and take a cut. Denver will probably want him and offer more. They also have Millsap and Plumlee coming off the books so they’ll definitely prioritize Grant.

We could get Millsap at an even cheaper contract but I feel like that ship has sailed. I’d rather wait until he gets bought out of his next contract :)

7. J.R.

J.R. Member

OK Tilman...

juanm34 likes this.
  8. YOLO

YOLO Member

huh? you could say every offseason was the most important for like the last 3 years

9. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

Haha. F off.
    I’m saying we’re in the best position this summer. First time we traded half the roster. Second time we lost two key rotation players and had to fill that void. Last year we changed a key piece with the Russ CP trade. This summer we don’t have to do any of that. We just get to add to what we have.

10. YOLO

YOLO Member

It sounds ideal but we're not really sure how things will turn out down the road . Pretty hard to forecast by simply saying this summer we don't have to do any of that. This is assuming EG won't be traded. Rivers automatically returning. guys like green/carroll decisions.

11. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

Haha. Dude, did you even read my post? I addressed Rivers and EG.
    Rivers is the only player that we could have no control on returning. It would be a loss but it’s not catastrophic. And if Tilman is willing to hit the luxury tax (big IF, I know) I could see Morey offering Rivers a 2yr/$14M or something. But again, he’s at best our 7th man though when we are healthy I feel McLemore could make him 8th.

EG COULD be traded, and if we re-sign Rivers I would love to see what we could get for him. It’s nice to have an option to trade a big contract. Though I’m not sure how valuable a team would consider his next 3 years.

If losing Jeff Green and Carroll are “problems” this summer, then we’re in a good spot.

12. YOLO

YOLO Member

Rivers is an extremely important piece. he seems to be going very much unappreciated as of late

losing depth pieces as we've seen before is bad news for this team

RocketRed4life likes this.
  13. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

For me, ideally we re-sign Rivers at a fair contract, and then turn an EG trade and the full MLE into two
    I agree he’s probably under appreciated. But at the end of the day he’s one player coming off the bench. It’s not like losing our starting SF or something. It’s nowhere near the same as trying to replace Ariza two years ago, which actually took up two of our summers

When Harden and Westbrook and EG are playing then he becomes the fourth ball handler on the team.

EDIT: Having said that I’d be completely ok with keeping Rivers and trading EG for someone bigger. We have Rivers’ bird rights and nobody is throwing big money at him.

JoeBarelyCares likes this.
  14. YOLO

YOLO Member

Teams were throwing money at him this past summer. There's a market for him. Lets not assume rivers signed here bc nobody else wanted him. Rivers did Hou a favor

That's the thing though. EG is obviously going to miss a number of games. wb doesn't play back to backs and he could even be load managed even more next year. Harden plays through whatever ails him but how much longer is that going to last going on 31

15. banzai

banzai Contributing Member

*This is the most important season.

ico4498 likes this.
  16. RocketOrg

RocketOrg Member

Grant would be an ideal fit with the Rockets. I’d trade EG straight up or maybe try to get w pick in return

D-rock likes this.
  17. coyotetex

coyotetex Member

I am going to be fascinated to see what Morey does this off season assuming the Rockets go deep in the post season.

He has put together what may be the most dominant offense of all time with a defensive scheme that could be one piece away from top 3 in the league (if they aren’t already).

The fact that the team goes into the offseason under the luxury cap and with a tradeable asset in Ego that will allow them to match up on significant salaries for trade purposes means that Morey will have real room to maneuver.

But none of that will matter is the small ball approach results in an early exit from the playoffs.

D-rock, Zoplicone and Deuce like this.
  18. T FOR 3!!!

T FOR 3!!! Member

I've been talking about getting Jerami Grant (or someone even close to him) forever now... Yes, he'd be a perfect fit.

D-rock likes this.
  19. BigBum

BigBum Member

I give you a thumb because this is luxury tax payment year.

Current salary at July 1: $130.5 million for 10 players.
    8.5 million for 4 other players
    3 Vet Min at 8.5 million

MLE at 6.0 million (fully taxable)
    Tilman is a man of Till Tax!!!

Tilman is a taxman.

20. topfive

topfive CF OG

Only on the Internet can I enthusiastically agree with someone named Mr. Buttocks.