1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Morey needs a plan. Start w/trading Capela for...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ballgame, May 21, 2019.

1. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

Agree about the trade scenarios but I will add that Capela doesn’t really help you when we play Golden State OR Milwaukee. Capela needs to either hit 3s, develop a nearly automatic post game, or gain enough strength to not give up ground on Giannis to be playable against those teams...and frankly I don’t see any of those things happening for him overnight which is why I think Houston will be throwing his name in a lot of trade talks this offseason. Despite his poor play against GS, he is still one of the best modern bigs in the game.

2. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

Don’t need a tweener unless he can guard 4 positions and I say that as a big Randle fan. Would love Randle off the bench but he is 100% not our answer at center in big moments

D-rock likes this.
  3. ParaSolid

ParaSolid Member

I was ready to come into this thread and post something like “cool story bro”.

Then I saw Myles Turners name and thought, that’s actually not half bad. Don’t know if the Pacers will give him up for Capela though.

4. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Come on man ….

That changes the way Harden approaches the offense ….Capela is the lynchpin that makes the rest of it work.

DJ , McGee ….. meh. Not interested and DJ aint walking away from a $10m-$20m contract to play for the Rockets for the minimum.

5. finsraider

finsraider Member

Best summary yet.

Ending the season against GSW has left people with a bad impression of Capela. The guy is PERFECT for when we aren’t playing GSW or MIL...teams that have mobile length and a bevy of shooters.

But if you are playing pretty much anyone else that doesn’t have freaks like Draymond, Durant or Giannis, then Capela is basically the perfect center for this team.

I think AD is pretty much out of the question. We can’t pay the price, and there’s no way NOP will want to trade him within the division.

I also don’t see Beal as an option. Sure Washington has a hole at center, but ask yourself...are they better with Beal or Capela?

Horford and Butler are the only 2 potential star options I see.

daywalker02 likes this.
  6. dream2franchise

Here is my bonkers Capela trade (for the record, I'm anti-trade Clint).

[​IMG]

I know. I KNOW, Whiteside is not the guy you want to depend on...but here's why this trade could be good for Houston:

Whiteside can do what Capela does, and while he makes a bucket load more and is going to send CP3 into early retirement...he can lob with anyone and will be very useful against most teams. Plus, the contract! This is short term pain for long term gain.

Bam and Winslow however...this is where it makes sense. I'm high on Bam and feel he is our answer for the Warriors Death lineup. The man is big and is an improving playmaker at his position. Winslow is tough, can shoot well enough from the corner and his playmaking has made leaps and bounds this season.

A lineup of Paul/Harden/Winslow/PJ and Bam will have incredible smarts and passing. TJ McConnell is fantastic insurance and our scrappy backup for when CP needs to rest...(not sure of his opt-in status though, so may not work).

This also makes the team younger and establishes a solid core for contention once CP retires, whereas Butler really shortens our window.

Miami gets the superstar they've craved and Capela is the kind of hard worker Miami will love on a good contract.

Philly gets more shooting, which they desperately need and some picks to compensate for losing a player of Jimmy's caliber.

daywalker02 likes this.
  7. rocketsmetalspd

Isaiah Hartenstein can be the back up C for next season. He has shown that he can hit 3s and has a good jump shot. The thing I don't like about Capela is that he still gets winded and tires quickly for a young player. I hope the Rockets can get something for him this off season.

lionaire likes this.
  8. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

Morey's plan this summer:

#RunItBack with washed up players to replace all the FAs on this team we can't afford to pay

Be desperate by trade deadline and sign bought out agents and hope for a miracle.

Another exit in the playoffs vs the Warriors

smp, lw17, horig#25 and 1 other person like this.
  9. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

Capela for Myles Turner? A top 5 finalist for DPOY for the guy who just got b!tched after talking madness?

Lets trade CP3 for DLo while we're at it.

10. bj3175

bj3175 Member

tHIS COULD WORK BUT WE NEED SOMEONE THAT jAMES HARDEN WOULD RESPECT AT LEAST TO GIVE THAT BALL UP A LITTLE BIT MORE

11. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

[​IMG]

D-rock, bj3175 and Nook like this.
  12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

You take away a lot of his Offense if you dun have an elite playmaker, most teams dun have one therefore teams dun necessarily value CC as much as the Rox, making him a lesser asset in the grand scheme.

Rox have two Alltimers in playmaking.

Folks saying I would give up CC only for a star, try the angle of the trade partner first.

#52 daywalker02, May 22, 2019
    Last edited: May 22, 2019
    Aruba77 likes this.
  13. elmotsang

elmotsang Member

Lopez can make the bucks change.

14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Like the overall concept, could be other names but rejuvenation is key, getting younger.

15. basketballholic

The real problem is the blueprint is out on how to beat us with Capela. The Blazers and others demonstrated it this year by running Capela off on switches onto a spot-up shooter in the corner and then dominating us on the glass. Because we are too small with him on the court as well as off the court.

You really can't say any longer that there is only one team that marginalizes him. Because we didn't play the Bucks, Raptors, Celtics, or Sixers in a series. And because moving forward we don't know what teams are going to do next season.

But the blueprint is out on what to do against our defense when Capela is on the court. And multiple teams are moving towards that.

Obviously we don't trade Capela until or unless we're acquire an upgrade to our star core.... which would also be an upgrade to our "small ball lineup" as well. And the reason is simple. We need his salary to aggregate. If that guy you are talking about makes 30+ million per season we likely can't trade for him without Capela's salary. The only other way is to SnT Shump with EGo. And that requires cooperation from Shump and the other team. That's not a good basis to dump Capela.

So we need Capela's salary up to that point. Or up to the point where we acquire role players similar to a younger and healthier Ariza/Luc that can play in the role needed to push us past the Warriors.

But..... once we acquire that guy or those guys (and we will one way or another) ..... if we haven't used Capela's salary to acquire him/ them then we need to get off Capela's contract. Because his contract is too long and therefore too risky. If he get injured we're up a creek. We have very limited flexibility.

So a move with Capela needs to happen before we start next season. Even if it's parting him out for shorter contracts of role players. Because while Capela is a "great fit for our team and worth his contract".... his contract is not a great fit for our team. We are over the cap. And we only have his salary and Ego's salary available to make a substantial trade with. We don't have large TPE's. And we're low on picks especially this year. And we still need a guy that's significantly better than him or at the very least significant role players that we can use against the upper echelon teams that neutralize him to win a championship.

Unless we reach the end of the off season. Then he has to go. Somehow. In favor of cap/ trade flexibility. Because if he suffers a significant injury we are STUCK!!!! For next season.... and possibly longer!!! We cannot take that kind of risk for a player that is only a role player and has to sit down in order for us to beat the upper echelon teams because he doesn't have the right skill set.

Clint is a great fit for us and worth his contract.....if he were making $5 million per anum. He's a great fit for us and worth his contract if either the salary cap were much higher or Harden and Paul were making a combined $50 million and we had other non-minimum value contracts outside him and Ego to work with and make player acquisitions with. He's a great fit for us and worth his contract if we're in the luxury tax and Paul only has one year left on his deal and we've got a third superstar on the roster with PJ and EGo still on their deals.

But Capela is not a great fit for us and not worth the risk of his contract given our current roster and salary cap situation. He needs to go to Sacramento or Atlanta or New Orleans or some other team that is rebuilding and continue to develop his game and learn to shoot the 3 while he is playing through this contract and developing with a team that is developing. He's a great fit for them and worth his contract in that situation. They can afford to take the long term risk on his deal. We cannot. He has to go.

#55 basketballholic, May 22, 2019
    Last edited: May 22, 2019
    Falcao and smp like this.
  16. SoupTent3

SoupTent3 Member

You're right, that's your opinion. I feel Capela is not playing up to his contract money that he received. He's terrible for a big man and needs to be looked at as a trading piece for somebody. I just don't know who yet. I'll have to get back with you on that one.

smp likes this.
  17. SoupTent3

SoupTent3 Member

Capela is not going to improve. He's done. Besides everything else that he does, he can't rebound. This dude is horrible. Trade him.

Falcao, rocketsmetalspd and smp like this.
  18. basketballholic

This trade doesn't work.

1. Winslow is poison pill. His incoming salary for trade purposes is $10.6 million.

2. Miami won't consider trading Bam for anything less than a superstar.

But.... the thought process is good.

19. smp

smp Member

If we commit to not switching him on to guards then he can fit here. If we are going to switch everything then he needs to go.

We can’t have him out on the 3 point line. He’s millions of wasted dollars out there.

Offensively, he’s useless when fronted.

This team is too heavy in salary going to Harden and CP3. Everyone else needs to outperform their salary. He needs to go so his money can be reallocated to someone who plays moreyball. He can be replaced with a Bogut/ Nene type player for the instances you need a cheap, big, slow, plodding player to clog the paint and bang with other bigs. Which is almost never.

The other 99 percent of the time you need an athletic big who can shoot and switch on defense.

20. Asian Sensation

If we were really acting like that we wouldn’t be talking about trading him. Thank god he’s not.

smp likes this.