1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Morey might resign on his own.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaDakota, Oct 10, 2019.

1. malakas

malakas Member

Again..read the news. Two teams met with Silver to make him punish Morey. Now I don't speak perfect english but I am sure a plural here is waranteed. PlayerS.

And to want to downplay the influence that Lebron has in the league is simply naive. Did you start watching the NBA today?

2. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

No, not unless he negotiated something with Tilman.

I think it would benefit both DM and Tilman/Rockets for them to part ways, so they should be working on some kind of payout, and a very well worded press release. "Not being fired, am resigning, have come to understand that i can't do my job effectively anymore, yada, yada"

3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Dun intend to downplay his influence yet I can only hope he has better things to do than ruin another team's GM.

His Lakeshow team is not looking that great......and winning a championship should be his priority here.

malakas likes this.
  4. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Can't believe this abomination is so hot. DM isn't going anywhere anytime soon. That should be obvious.

D-rock, MorningZippo and vince like this.
  5. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

I am dealing with facts not speculations, especially ass-pull speculations. So far, only 2 people are known to have spoken up against Morey; Joe Tsai and LBJ. Of those 2 known names, only one of them is a player. Can you provide me with enough names of players that can even remotely come close to your hyperbolic statement of "You can't be a GM if all the players hate you."? I'm waiting.

6. malakas

malakas Member

If you want players' names go ask Disney.
    Are you claiming that the Nets PLAYERS who met with Silver was actually Tsai himself?

TIL Tsai has decided to suit up for the Nets this year.

7. vince

vince Member

Better not resign!!!!

I bet NY Knicks would be all over him in 2 seconds!

He is a great basketball mind, and a reason the Rockets have been beating the odds for most of his tenure.

xtruroyaltyx and D-rock like this.
  8. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I mean there is more than one interesting candidate, imo. Definitely no old school crap dude though. Trajan Langdon might be interesting.

malakas likes this.
  9. malakas

malakas Member

He is protecting his own $$ and interests by pressuring to get Morey fired.
    Even better he makes the competition weaker.

A Rockets team with a puppet yes-man new GM is easier to face than one with a fox in the wheel.

10. chenjy9

Supporting Member

Silver met with BOTH teams, including coaches and executives, NOT JUST PLAYERS.

11. malakas

malakas Member

and playerS spoke up against him. Is Tsai a player?

Because I don't think that Disney used the plural just because of his majesty Qing Lebron

12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

The way I see it there is no real No. 1 contender at this moment.

Yeah, the Clippers have two MVP candidates but the rest of them does not look great.

We'll see in the coming months.

malakas likes this.
  13. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I think him resigning is a real possibility. He really foot-gunned himself with that tweet. Can he continue to do his job effectively if his popularity with players has tanked? Now LeBron is speaking out publicly against him. Not sure how he'd turn that around.

malakas and daywalker02 like this.
  14. NotInMyHouse

NotInMyHouse Contributing Member

And LeBron now has egg all over his own face.

D-rock and HP3 like this.
  15. chenjy9

Supporting Member

This is actually good for us in the area of players wanting to work with Morey.

16. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

So other players/GMs/coaches will learn the lesson and keep their mouths shut. Doesn’t mean they won’t hold grudges against Morey, secretly.

malakas likes this.
  17. banzai

banzai Contributing Member

Diversionary... blaming the incident for his teams poor performance... what else is new LeBron... no accountability.

D-rock likes this.
  18. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

At this point, Morey’s resignation may be beneficial to all parties involved. Only the Rockets will take a hit because he’s a damn fine GM and it’s gonna be difficult to replace him. But one can argue he won’t be able to perform his GM duties effectively going forward all things considered, and therefore needs to be replaced anyways. It is what it is.

Here’s hoping we can find a competent replacement GM.

thedopefiend likes this.
  19. J.R.

J.R. Member

Marc Stein (newsletter)

What are the odds Daryl Morey lasts more than one year with the Rockets after the China controversy? — Alizain Devshi

Stein: The Rockets have been adamant that Morey’s job is not in jeopardy even after a tweet that is, as covered here in our Sunday story, expected to cost the franchise in the neighborhood of $25 million this season in sponsorship losses.

In the team owner Tilman Fertitta’s lone public statement on the matter, to ESPN’s Tim MacMahon, he announced that he and Morey “are fine.” Fertitta also declared that the Rockets employ “the best general manager in the league.”

In March, remember, Morey received a five-year contract extension that The New York Times subsequently reported pays him in the $8 million range annually. But the contract and Morey’s reputation as one of the most progressive thinkers among league executives are not his only sources of insulation.

The money that the N.B.A. generates in China is obviously significant and intoxicating, as evidenced by the league’s controversial decision to cancel scheduled interactions between the two teams in China last week and the media in fear of another statement that inflamed the situation further. But the backlash on home soil would be much louder — and presumably more expensive — if the Rockets ousted Morey for publicly supporting democracy and free speech.

This, after all, is America. Forcing Morey out on those grounds would be highly un-American.

I don’t think the Rockets can or will go there. I’ve certainly heard from a handful of league insiders who tell me that my take is naïve, but I’m convinced that the Rockets would be crushed for such a move — unless the crisis deepens to a point that Morey’s ongoing presence affects Houston’s N.B.A. on-court business, its relationship with Rockets players and those around the league or otherwise compromises his ability to effectively do the job.

20. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

Does Morey even want to stay? With a fallout like this, I doubt he’s had any good sleep in the past week. Resignation may be a relief for him now.

Yes, I think Marc Stein is being naive.