1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Montrezl Harrell drops 31 against Warriors

Discussion in 'Rio Grande Valley Vipers' started by rofflesaurus, Jan 24, 2016.

1. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Harden has already adopted the D-League defense, it'd be a perfect fit.

2. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I love Montrez but if you guy can't obviously see that these shots/moves/etc would never convert in the NBA I don't know what to tell you. Even in the D League the separation on those turn around jumpers isn't great. They would never convert in the NBA. Those spin moves converting to a dunk.... Yeah that wouldn't happen in the NBA.

I want to see Montrez working on NBA skills more than this stuff honestly. It's great for his confidence and his comport level but what I see in this highlight real isn't getting him NBA rotation minutes anytime soon.

3. cebu

cebu Member

that's how you showcase an asset!

Bye Harrell.

4. Garner

Garner Member

It's a good sign. gotta dominate the dleague to have a chance in the NBA.

5. eslate22

eslate22 Member

since when did trizzle have a fadeaway jumper?

6. Mathloom

Mathloom Contributing Member

True. Those shots looked flimsy, you can almost say he had a hot night and that is nowhere near his average to make shots like that even in the D league.

Having said that, I'm a firm believer that he is a year or two away from hitting 33% of his 3's and nailing open mid range J's.

First though we need to work on his defensive (footwork, rotating) and rebounding (boxing out) fundamentals. I think he'll grasp those things by the end of the year.

7. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Keep in mind that Terrence Williams was doing Lebron-like things in the DLeague but could never grasp the little things you have to do to get minutes in the NBA. Doing "showy" things in the DLeague actually kind of scares me. The points should come easier, and you shouldn't have to be doing fade away dream shakes to get points.

Montrez has NBA skills but does he even know what those are yet? He's just gonna have to find his way but in the meantime don't expect what you see here to translate to the NBA.

1 person likes this.
  8. Smacktle

Smacktle Contributing Member

Dekker is the next Dmo and Montrez is the next TJones.

9. Jatman20

Jatman20 Member

He needs to get some playing time. Draymond Green gives the Warriors some versatility and flexibility when you move him to the 5. Harrell will give the Rockets some of that soon.
    Harrell may never shoot about 40% from 3 like Draymond.....but I think he can get to about 34% from 3 in a year or in a couple of years.

10. Newlin

Newlin Member

You make a good point. These young guys don't even know what they are capable of. I've always thought TJones will be a much better player once he figures out what he can and cannot do against NBA talent. Often we see Jones being too timid when he needs to be more aggressive, and then he will be too aggressive and try something beyond his capabilities.

I'd like to see both KJ and Montrezl get more D-league time. KJ needs to work on ball handling and shooting while Montrezl needs to work on defense and rebounding.

11. gfab-babyboi

gfab-babyboi Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

the reason our young guys look good, outside our HARDEN heavy offense is because they are trusted to score, they are trusted to create for themselves.

they dont have an runner-up MVP holding his arms out asking for the ball back or a offense where they just stand in a corner, or outside the paint

I feel thats why alot of our players havent developed with the Rockets...look at the Morris twin playing for Detroit ...he is the stretch 4 that we need right now

12. Newlin

Newlin Member

I agree with this. Sometimes our offense comes to life when Harden sits, although we all know Harden is our most skilled player.

I wish Harden could figure out how to fit in with how the rest of the team wants to play. As someone used to say, the ball gets a little sticky with Harden in the game.

13. Mr Chuck Norris

I know he's young but if we can get a huge upgrade at a key position w wouldn't mind me shopping Capella provided we have a backup center.

14. Niaperzly

Niaperzly Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/UH_tUSvpe2Q" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/vptW5SD_fvA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

15. mkahanek

mkahanek Member

When did this game occur?

16. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Montrezl Harrell is holding Raphiael Putney back. One of these studs has to go. Maybe we should trade or cut Howard.

17. Von Rafer

Von Rafer Member

I really don't understand how anyone thinks Jones is better, like, at all.

18. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

Why are we talking about this here when there is a Vipers forum?

19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

If they still think that, they won't think it much longer.

20. coweye

coweye Member

I watched this video again and somehow Patrick Patterson came to my mind. He and Harrell have a strong upper body that is perfect for the battle in the paint. Both look like Tarzan but only Harrell plays like one. Would love to see him and Dwight at PF and C.