1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

MLB honors Tim Anderson the way it honored Jackie Robinson: By telling him to shut up

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Astrodome, Apr 19, 2019.

1. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

https://www.nydailynews.com/sports/...0190420-d3felwl6zff2lkuakcasqha5di-story.html

Chicago White Sox shortstop Tim Anderson was, on Friday, suspended one game for his involvement in a dust-up. Anderson had hit a home run an inning prior, and tossed a celebratory bat flip without receiving prior clearance from the opposing Kansas City Royals. Royals pitcher Brad Keller repaid him with a 92-mile-per-hour fastball to the hindparts. Anderson reacted. Anderson was ejected.

ESPN’s Jeff Passan reports that Anderson’s reaction included a “racially charged word,”which is what led to his suspension. Specifically, Anderson is accused of calling Keller, who is white, a “weak-ass f---ing (n-word).” Anderson is black. Anderson is suspended.

Organized baseball paid the ultimate tribute to Robinson by suspending Anderson. Just like Branch told Jackie, the MLB taught Tim that when he’s mistreated, even physically attacked by his white colleagues, he can never fight back. Baseball isn’t ready for that.

I dont think a suspension was necessary.

2. Buck Turgidson

That's ridiculous. The hack writer talking about "prior clearance" is also ridiculous.

eta: and your thread title is...wait for it...ridiculous

FranchiseBlade, Sweet Lou 4 2 and jcf like this.
  3. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

I agree with your thread title comment

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  4. HTM

HTM Member

There's no excuse for directing that language at someone.

I fail to see any reasonable reason for Anderson to complain.

Don't say those things.

5. Buck Turgidson

But not the rest of it? Ridiculous!

6. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Could you imagine if the NBA and NFL had these inane unwritten rules?

No Curry shimmy...then no CP3 shimmy in response...no Harden shimmy after he sends Rubio tumbling. No stare downs, no posing over guys you've just dunked on, no Mutumbo finger wag...

In the NFL, no sack celebrations, no first down celebrations, no TD dancing...nothing that 'shows up' the opponent.

It's just silly that a plain old flip of a bat gets teams so 'triggered'. I saw the highlights of that whole thing and it all started because of a batflip. Baseball players comparatively look a little soft. I just saw an NBA game where Westbrook mocked his opponents several times through a game and there's no fuss about it. Just imagine how boring the NBA would be if everyone had to respect the game. When asked about OKCs antics Dame thought they were 'funny'.

With that said, it's beyond silly to invoke Jackie Robinson here. The pitcher shouldn't have hit the hitter (and bat flipping should not be an excuse to hit batters) and Tim probably shouldn't have said what he said, they should both get suspensions, and the commish should tell them all to lighten up. It's just a bat flip, you got rocked, suck it up and get the next hitter out.

Astrodome likes this.
  7. Buck Turgidson

When Tiger Woods hit the green in 2 at the Masters did he flip his iron in the air?

Different sports have different rules and etiquette, I don't know why this is so hard to understand.

8. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I wouldn't care if he did and if he did that is then no excuse to throw a golf ball at him.

You know good and well that if Rubio punched Harden or tried to injure him after getting mocked that no one would accept this or be cool with it or blame Harden for shimmying on the corpse of his opponent. Only in baseball does hurt feelings give you an excuse to try and hurt an opponent and people just accept it. This is not so hard to understand.

9. Buck Turgidson

Headhunting is no bueno. Dotting a guy in the ass or brushing him back is how you do it.

As far as the "only in baseball"...you might want to watch an NFL game someday.

10. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

I commented in another thread comparing his 1 game suspension for saying what he said to Yuli's 5 game suspenstion for making the eye gesture.

I'd be interested to hear MLB's reasoning.

#10 bobrek, Apr 20, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2019
    Astrodome likes this.
  11. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

NFL teams will target a player to get them out of games...it's not legal of course but if hurting Tom Brady gives you a better shot at going to the superbowl then that's what you do (or at least, used to do, now you can't touch QBs so...). It's a violent sport, so you mock and insult your opponent at your own risk knowing that you will be seeing that opponent on the next play. Usually what starts big fights is when guys go at knees and dirty plays, or guys with a long history between them, that's in basketball too. Not a bat flip.

I don't know if it is an often thing that NFL players get hurt feelings over disrespectful gestures...it's the old thing that if you don't want them celebrating in your endzone then stop them from scoring. I think because these other sports are used to it people playing these sports are used to showboating and trash talking. This is how Harden can drop a body, stare at said body, then lick his lips and it is nothing but entertainment for everyone involved...except for Wesley Johnson, although there's a good chance he laughs at it too. Baseball players take this bat flipping thing a notch too seriously.

You don't want the guy flipping his bat then sit him down.

I mean, I wouldn't agree that there is no place for this in baseball, we're talking about a sport where one of its most famous moments is when a guy pointed to the stands and called his shot. That's disrespect on the final level. Plus, the MLB basically creates highlight reels of guys flipping their bats. It's great entertainment. People love this kind of stuff, welcome to the show.

12. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

NHL faints...

Buck Turgidson likes this.