1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Media disrespect of Rockets "other" players

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by coyotetex, Feb 27, 2020.

1. MaxRider

MaxRider Member

Because he loves playing with Harden and MDA style.

hakeem94 likes this.
  2. Ketchup&Mustard

THIS.

Such a turrible argument by Barkley

3. topfive

topfive CF OG

Do the Lakers win if LeBron and AD both have bad games?

4. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

5. SemisolidSnake

Assuming that the the media folks are just trying to call it like they see it (a terrible assumption, but I'll play angel's advocate), they don't watch the games so what they see is completely one-dimensional. They're just going by highlights and box scores.

Rivers is like Harden 2.0 on this team. If Harden and Russ were both out, you'd see Austin take over everything in a very Hardenesque fashion. Not as good as the master but dangerous in the same way. Green and McLemore can hit threes (holy crap, Ben) but can also sneak in the backdoor for lobs and dunks. PJ's now got a floater to compensate for when his corner three is off. Gordon, if he can stay healthy, is willing to crash the basket if his three is off. It's ugly, but it works. Covington's offense is here and there game to game but he's often clutch as hell, and he's been an unreal defensive boon. Even House is looking a little smarter in many of his decisions than he did at the beginning of the season (although he still has to be approaching a record for failed dunks).

The team is not going to roll over without James or Russ. Despite having two stars putting up godly numbers each game, the team seems LESS dependent on them than in years past. It's hard to figure out exactly why, but if I had reduce it down to one thing, I'd say it looks like these guys are having a lot of fun out there.

6. D-rock

D-rock Member

Entire bench can give you 10 with exception of Thabo and Tyson.

7. D-rock

D-rock Member

Harden is the ultimate outlier.

alethios likes this.
  8. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

the key to beating HOU in the playoffs is shutting down beardo and westie

opposing teams' star duos might get shut down as well, but difference is they still have 6 other complimentary players on the floor vs just our 3

jcf likes this.
  9. alethios

alethios Member

Apparently, the Rockets duo is the only duo that can be beat according the media "experts".

slothy420, Nook, D-rock and 1 other person like this.
  10. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

My whole thing about that argument is, who’s going to stop them?
    No one has been able to stop either of them for 5+ years now individually and now all of a sudden teams can stop both? Gtfoh

RayRay10 and D-rock like this.
  11. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This argument is nothing knew against any team. "Team x is beatable if you just container superstar player y and make everyone else beat you" It's been applied to Jordan, Kobe, even Curry pre-Durant. It's been applied to Durant in fact with the Thunder. It's been applied to so many players.

Basically, it's not something people should get annoyed by because really what it translates to is this.

"I have no idea what anyone can do, but I have this job where I have to sound like I do have an idea so I'll just go with this"

12. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

Barkley isn't saying that the Rockets will lose if teams stop Harden and Russ. They can't be stopped. He's saying that the best strategy to defend us is to let them go off and not help off of shooters. I don't know if this is true, but I heard that we've been generate almost 30 open threes per game. Our offense is clicking as a result.

I can't say I agree with Barkley because I know Harden and Russ can both easily score 70+ if they have open lanes to the hoop all game long, but teams are still trying to double Harden and sag off of Russ and it's clearly not working. We're getting whatever we want: open lanes for our stars and open threes for everyone else. How would we defend against a team like ours? We'd want to take something away.

D-rock and RayRay10 like this.
  13. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

Our true test is playing the Bucks in Milwaukee... The have 2 bigs in Giannis and Lopez. If Giannis is guarding PJ, I would shift PJ to the wing to take Giannis further from the rim so that he can't help and recover with Lopez on Russ...

14. RayRay10

RayRay10 Houstonian

From what I've seen, the only way to beat the Rockets is to go small and hope for an off night from the Rockets' shooters. Leaving harden 1 on 1 with anyone is insane, but letting Westbrook play 4 on 3 is equally insane. It's also hell on the other team's benches as one of Harden and Westbrook are always on the floor with quality players 3-10.

If the Rockets' shooters are making their shots, like last night, the other team has no chance...doesn't matter who it is (to include Milwaukee).

But, we'll see when they play the Clips. Can Leonard and George cover Harden one-on-one and thereby make Russ play 4-4on-4. My guess is that's what Rivers will try and I think James will slaughter either one of them...causing Doc to have to try and start doubling him and allowing Russ to go 4-on-3 again.

I'm not sure there's a team in the league right now that can match-up with the Rockets 1-10 and it's going to be hell on anyone that plays us in the playoffs.

15. YOLO

YOLO Member

nah Barkley has said over and over harden and cp3/wb have to play amazing for the rockets to win. it's been his lazy take for the last several years

16. Poonwalker

Poonwalker Member

So why did the Jazz lose to us without our 2 stars?

D-rock likes this.
  17. mike2k132

mike2k132 Member

actually its the other way around. harden n russ always gonna give u at the worst 25. the others is what allowes them to go off.

18. Poonwalker

Poonwalker Member

Barkley isn't the sharpest tool in the shed.

D-rock likes this.
  19. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This just proves

@Os Trigonum

you guys maximize your tv watching

should I buy some Disney stock since they own ESPN ?

20. YaoMingsSoulja

Mclemore can't miss! He lookin like Ray Allen out there SHEESH