1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

MDA says Griffin hit him before their exchange

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by heypartner, Jan 16, 2018.

1. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

This is so common the NCAA extended to coaching box to 38 feet this year, for the betterment of the game.

Is this another "logical' conclusion on your part in reading Griffin's mind? Only you can read his mind?

Your conclusion seems centered around only one possibility, like a binary thinker who operates on only one, single True or False. Your conclusion assumes if Griffin had some possible valid reason to elbow MDA then he wasn't a punk. No matter what mind-set you create for Blake, a dual plan can exist:
    1. try to pull off the Kidd maneuver which makes sense to you, and
    2. no matter what, still run into MDA to punk him.
    Just because you are no punk, and don't do punk things like go out of your way to elbow a coach, doesn't mean there isn't a plausible explanation that includes something that you don't understand, just because you don't think like a punk athlete might think.

It doesn't mean MDA's read on the situation wasn't a plausible explanation. "F you. I'm out of the way." -- Punk!

It was a cheap-shot, punk move. Your binary explanation is too rigid for me and seems primarily to defend why Griffin won't be suspended vs having any interest in assessing the punkitude of an player...especially when both can exist.

bottomline: Punks often get away with punk things ... so, I don't underestimate their intent to seek out situations where they can get away with it. Elbowing a coach like Griffin did is one of the biggest punk things I've ever seen a player do.​

DonKnock, BigMaloe, D-rock and 2 others like this.
  2. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

It's obvious to everyone except durvasa.

What's funny is that durvasa is just making assumptions about the intent, but calling it logic, although it completely goes against the very clear visual evidence.

adw and D-rock like this.
  3. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Exactly.

Punks don't do things like this in a manner that has "evident logical reason" to everyone like durvasa. It often only makes sense to Punks. Sometimes many sadly defend them out of logical reasoning, or says "Fu9k you" like Coach did, just to let them know you know they did that just to be a punk and get away with it.

4. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

He will argue that he was running along the sideline and MDA should not have been standing beyond the hashmark to complain about the goal tending call, as per the rule book. Jason Kidd also leaned over the sideline to make contact with Woodson years ago, and he wasn’t the one who got penalized for it.

5. durvasa

Wrong. My assumptions about his intent are reportedly accurate (Griffin was trying to draw attention to MDA’s illegal position on the floor), and consistent with the visual evidence.

Whether that makes him a punk or not is a separate question. Fine, he is a punk. Most people seem to think that’s enough explanation. It wasn’t for me, and it won’t be for the league.

6. durvasa

Sure, that’s possible — him wanting to use the Kidd ploy as a cover to bump into MDA. That would indeed be a punk move.

But here’s the key question: would he have done this without such a pretext to fall back on? I think not — you can accuse of him being a punk, but that doesn’t mean he is an idiot.

Therefore, figuring out whether there is a reason, even if serves only as a rationalization for him to proceed with his “punk” move, is still relevant to understanding what exactly was going on there. If that reason doesn’t exist, that must be considered evidence that he didn’t mean to bump into MDA.

7. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

This is a hell of a hill to die on, Durvasa.

8. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

That your assumptions are being matched by Griffin's explanation doesn't make them right.

But let's ratchet this up.

Is Griffin a ref, where it's incumbent on him to officiate the coaches' positions on the floor? And if he accidentally made contact while doing this, and then talked mess to D'Antoni instead of apologizing, it's OK because it was just an accident while he was trying to play floor police (after swiping Paul and throwing the ball at Gordon in the same game...)?

I'm not sure logic is favoring one side, here.

9. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

He was angrily pointing at MDA and sprinted towards him, clearly not the straight way to the basket. Contact was intentional. Again, everyone sees it except for you.

Reeko, HakeemOnlyFan and D-rock like this.
  10. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

You don't have to figure out a reason here. He did it intentionally. I know this because there's video of it. He pointed at MDA, and took a looping, wide course of action to run into MDA, and elbowed him while running into him.

I know this, because I've seen the video.

If you want to look for reason in order to understand his intent, fine, go for it. It has little to do with actual intent though.

Some things you can just see what happens. But otherwise agree to disagree...

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  11. felixng2012

felixng2012 Member

MDA was out of bounds. Blake Griffin is the type of guy who punches his own equipment manager in the face and breaks his own fist like an idiot.

BMoney, adw, DonKnock and 2 others like this.
  12. durvasa

You are confused on what my position is. My immediate response was to question what his intent may have been. I am now confident on what his intent was. The path he took towards MDA was very much intentional.

13. lionaire

lionaire Member

Didn't know Blake Griffin had a CF account ^^

14. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

Besides Blake Griffin being a known hothead, as well as kind of a b****.....

Did you see the clip of him doing it? There is very, very little room for interpretation.

Reeko, ApacheWarrior, adw and 2 others like this.
  15. durvasa

Too many people to respond to, so I’m done. :)

lnchan likes this.
  16. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

Ride for Blake Griffin’s rationality harder than Blake Griffin himself would brehs...

Reeko, BMoney and ApacheWarrior like this.
  17. D-rock

D-rock Member

Think you were done a while back. But points for determination.

Reeko, DonKnock, BMoney and 3 others like this.
  18. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

@durvasa likes to be a contrarian and claim how rational and smart he is lol.

Most of his points are absolute bullsh!t. His analogy a month or two ago about how westbrook stat padding rebounds is the same as harden extending himself on offense was pretty broken.

Just let him do his “im a smart dude” thing.

Reeko, DonKnock and AroundTheWorld like this.
  19. durvasa

You seem to think I was trying to defend what Griffin did, rather than simply understand what was possibly going on there that made him think he could get away with that (since the video does make it appear intentional). I have no issue with people taking away from this that he’s a punk, as @heypartner put it.

But am I so wrong to assume that he is a semi-rational human being, and so there had to be something there that made him think he could get away with that? And if that something didn’t exist, then maybe our eyes are deceiving us and he really wasn’t trying to run into him?

I am a believer in the notion that we sports fans are especially adept at making false assumptions about intent based on motivated reasoning. I see it all the time, amongst our fans and amongst the fans of teams we face. In this case, that would be the desire to validate our views that Blake Griffin is a punk b**** who needs to be punished for getting into an altercation against our guys.

In the end, I await whatever decision the league settles on. I have a suspicion Griffin won’t be suspended, based on the Jason Kidd precedent. That doesn’t mean Griffin wasn’t being a punk, however.

20. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think these NBA players get dumber when they date Kardasians.

To Blake's credit, Kendall > Khloe

Plowman and DonKnock like this.