1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

McNair to have statue at NRG Park

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by justtxyank, Oct 17, 2017.

1. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

He brought football back. We can hate him for his hiring decisions but he did accomplish that

Plowman, Buck Turgidson and ipaman like this.
  2. clos4life

clos4life Member

Standards for getting statues are really low nowadays.

3. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Someone vandalize the statue please. Thanks!

raining threes, CometsWin and Nook like this.
  4. BleedsRocketRed

Exactly.

People saying "well if he didnt somebody would have" Well, yeah probably would have tried. We tend to forget if it wasnt for him, the expansion team would have gone to LA instead of us. The NFL, the NFL owners, and the media all wanted it in LA. NOT Houston. The NFL gave the city of LA multiple extensions to get their proposal done. Bob had his finished before any deadline the NFL gave him.

It was under Bob's leadership that the Houston bid for the team, and the new stadium proposal (which he paid his own money towards) got where it did and ultimately forced the NFL into having no choice but to give us the team.

There has NOT been an expansion team since. Instead we had losers like the Rams/Chargers move back to LA and the Raiders to Las Vegas.... 17 years after Bob's team won the bid.

Say what you want about the team, thats fine. I tend to agree its been down and mediocre at best, but Bob did bring back the NFL when the NFL was dead to the city of Houston. (and for the foreseeable future). For that I will always be grateful, for a true and true Houstonian.

I guarantee half of these people never got to fully experience the POS that was Bud Adams.

#84 BleedsRocketRed, Oct 23, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2017
    arkoe, texian and ipaman like this.
  5. Newlin

Newlin Member

I have no problems with it. He did a hell of a job in bringing the NFL back to Houston.

6. hvic

hvic Member

I thought this was a joke but was really hoping it would turn out like Ronaldo's statue haha

7. Caesar

Caesar Member

Every time i see him and how thin and frail he looks, i think about how he doesn't have much longer. Hope he can hang in there a few more years.

8. Wolverrines

Wolverrines Member

As much as I hate the guy he did bring football back to Houston

9. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Yup, last few times I saw him it didn't look good. Time is ticking which is sad. That also means we have to deal with Cal and Rick is even more far up his ass than Bobs.

Caesar likes this.
  10. baubo

baubo Member

People act like if McNair doesn't exist there would never be Houston football. We got the team cause LA said no. And there really wasn't any other competitior. If there were we'd have seen a new team relocate to somewhere beyond LA.

In the end there are lots of billionaires who want to own pro football franchises and anyone who gets as good a stadium deal as the Texans would have no problem making the investment, whether through expansion on buying/moving existing team. Perhaps we would've gotten the team a few years later but we would've gotten one. So really all McNair has done is replace half decade worth of no football into that of crappy football.

If that's worth a statue then we also need Matt Schaub statue alongside it.

raining threes likes this.
  11. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Hopefully the statue will be off him laughing at all the Texans fans while they throw money at him.

raining threes and Nook like this.
  12. Buck Turgidson

Artist's Rendition:

[​IMG]

13. rhino17

rhino17 Member

this

Football would be back in Houston at some point. Idk why some Houston fans like to pretend like we are some small market underdog city. No one was going to ignore the Houston market, especially for football for much longer

Plowman and Nook like this.
  14. BleedsRocketRed

When though? It took 18 years before LA got their chance. Lets not act like it would have happened quickly. LA is and always will be a much larger market compared to Houston, no matter our football tradition.

15. Nook

Nook Member

His dad is still alive the last I checked... so I wouldn't assume he is at death's door.

16. Nook

Nook Member

17. marky :)

marky :) Member

The one they should put at NRG stadium should be that little one on the left.

RasaqBoi and Nook like this.
  18. MystikArkitect

Will the statue be white?

19. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

What a stupid statue. They're making it seem like Bob McNair is Tom Landry or someone like that.

RasaqBoi likes this.
  20. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

Idk why I thought this was hilarious