1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

McHugh

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by DaChamp, Apr 7, 2017.

1. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

So does Mchugh enter the rotation yet?

2. jim1961

jim1961 Member

We Better keep McHugh around. Its looking more and more like we may need a new #5 guy at some point.

3. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

What's wrong with Morton?

4. jim1961

jim1961 Member

5th best SP.

5. Buck Turgidson

I was assuming he was talking about Keuchel. Let him be the lefty in the pen, let McHugh start. Such a simple plan.

6. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Keuchel would be a great lefty reliever in the playoffs.
    I did say Morton.

7. jim1961

jim1961 Member

I was thinking of DK (our 5th best SP at present), but I was also thinking of injury replacement.

8. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

It seems like it was just a couple of days ago that he was heading into the 6th inning with a sub 3-ERA.

9. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Keuchel is going to dominate the Yanks this week because that’s what he does.

10. msn

msn Member

:(

11. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Well, it was a quality start...so there's that.

msn likes this.
  12. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

13. Buck Turgidson

14. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

WHAT? Have you watched anything this year? Keuchel is most certainly the weakest link of a chain that needs no mending.

If the Astros need anything it’s another outfielder who can hit to put into the rotation of Springer, Reddick and Marwin. Fisher and Marisnick are not cutting it.

From there adding an elite bullpen arm would be nice but not totally necessary

15. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Keuchel is who I was talking about as our 5th best starter. You missed some content.

16. vince

vince Member

I think Keutchel is quite capable of being Cy Young good again...

He has got such good pin point accuracy that his borderline pitches are almost all going down as balls, and he isn’t getting as many called strikes as in the past. I think it’s frustrated him, but he has proven time after time he’s an allstar who can make the necessary adjustments.

I suspect he’ll have a sub 3 ERA for the season. He’s a master at getting hitters to hit weak grounders, and as a Gold Glove pitcher, it’s like there is a 5th infielder....

Strikeout pitchers need at least 3 pitches to get their guy out. Keutchel only needs one! It’s about the bread and butter with Keutchel....

Oh and just because Keutchel style isn’t baseball sexy, doesn’t mean he isn’t Cy Young quality. I just don’t think he’s pitching as well as he could be, but I wouldn’t say he is the 5th best pitcher in the rotation. He is quite capable of carrying even this rotation when he gets it going.

#96 vince, May 9, 2018
    Last edited: May 9, 2018
  17. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

He can certainly still have moments... but the days of him being consistently excellent over 200+IP are unlikely to occur again.

Even the slightest hiccup... whether its shoulder/neck pain, or a slight decrease in velocity due to arm soreness, creates a huge problem for him. His pin-point control suffers... and if he has to come over the plate after falling behind in the count, he's very hittable.

And not to de-rail the thread too much... but 85-95%% Keuchel now is still better than McHugh was at any point in his career. I see a lot of "backup QB" syndrome in those calling for McHugh to pitch more... I don't think he has another notch or gear to become a better pitcher than he's been before. He's been fine.... more than serviceable... but he's not a lights-out type starter or reliever despite what he's done thus far.

vince likes this.
  18. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Keuchel's a lot better pitcher than McHugh. I'm no way suggesting that McHugh should replace Keuchel. I'm not suggesting he's lights out. There is a lot of room between vintage McHugh and lights-out. I think there is a decent chance he's better than he's been (at least in regards to being better suited for relief). To me he has gone from a guy that probably couldn't pitch well in relief to a guy that deserves more chances in high leverage. If it fails, it fails. Not like other guys aren't falling in that role.

19. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Again, that's a lot of backup QB loved-by-the-fan-base logic.

Right now, he's a relief pitcher because the Astros don't have a spot for him to start. If they do get one via injury, he'll be starting again. They haven't tested him in back-to-back outings, or back-end outings because who's to say his arm or his preparation is conducive to that.

20. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

That's an ad hominem logic fallacy.

#100 Joe Joe, May 9, 2018
    Last edited: May 9, 2018