1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mayan ruins / Yucatan

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ROXTXIA, Jan 7, 2019.

1. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

We made some trips to Yucatán in the 1980’s, one for 3 weeks and two weeks on another trip. We’ve made numerous trips since then, and plan to go this winter, but usually to Isla Mujeres. It’s a small island that doesn’t get the cruise ships that have made places like Cozumel so difficult to enjoy at times, not to mention Cancun and Playa del Carmen. All of these places were far different in the ‘80’s, but that doesn’t do you much good.

We spent several days in Merida back then and really enjoyed it. It’s a great base for travel. There are the spectacular ruins at Uxmal, about an hour from Merida. The whole area is incredibly hot and humid during the summer, though. We’re too old now to go there at this time of year. Bummer, because we really liked it, despite the weather. Go to some cenote’s in the area!

Progreso is a good a trip from the city, beautiful beach, but not very clear water. Great place for seafood caught that morning (actually, that’s true all along the entire coast of the Yucatán, except for the “all inclusive” places). Celestun is worth seeing, and Chelem mentioned by @jo mama sounded really nice. There are several small villages on the coast. We haven’t been in that area for years, but they weren’t crowded with tourists when we were there, a major plus. Everything was cheap.

One thing I wanted to suggest in Merida that if you don’t stay there, at least check it out. The Gran Hotel. It’s on the main square, was built in 1901, and looks it. The rooms aren’t that great, but it was cheap and the atmosphere was something else. Fair warning. Looks can be deceiving! Unless they’ve really upgraded the rooms, where you’ll be sleeping would be far different than the images online. Maybe the rooms have been improved. No AC and no elevator. Great location and a glimpse to what Merida was like 100 years ago.

I miss the Yucatán of the 1980’s. Want to let you know that there is a serious problem with the seaweed now. Not on Isla Mujeres (the currents are keeping it away), but along the coast from Cancun to Playa del Carmen.

Attached Files:

malakas and ROXTXIA like this.
  2. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Nice pictures. Do you work for Lonely Planet? Just kidding. But do you? ;)

We already went to Merida in April. It was awesome. Not as hot as usual; we got lucky. La Chaya Maya Restaurant, soooooo good. Plaza Mayor, Paseo de Montejo. Progreso we did too (the water is not so clear but pretty). Uxmal we also visited; more people should go there.

We did go to Izamal because so many vacation bloggers act like it should be a Mecca for those who visit the Yucatan. It was okay and there is an unheralded pyramid there, with sketchy steps that haven't been refurbished; but it wasn't awesome.

We'll go back in November (albeit traveling from there to.....well, haven't decided yet; Campeche (Edzna)-Calakmul-Bacalar, or Valladolid (Ek Balam, Chichen Itza, Coba)-Tulum (Cozumel). When I go to Mexico, I want to experience the culture, and speak Spanish, and see the places that aren't mobbed by tourists. On the other hand, Valladolid, Chichen Itza, and Tulum would be cool (except, yes, thronged with other tourists.

I am still so lame about posting pics from my computer...........

Deckard likes this.
  3. Falcons Talon

Falcons Talon Contributing Member

Just got back from Belize. We stayed at in Hopkins and did an excursion to Xunantunich. The tour guide took us up through to the tops of the ruins. I have to say it was a little terrifying being at the top with no safety of falling off the edge. Beautiful ruins.

We also hiked to Antelope Falls at the Bocawina National Park and zipped the longest ziplines in Belize. We had a great time.

Attached Files:

malakas and ROXTXIA like this.
  4. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Where along the lake is best if you have, say, three-ish days for the visit (other places in the country being on my list, too)?
    I did show some pictures of the lake to my wife: "Wow, that's beautiful." So I think she's in.

5. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

like juan valdez pointed out, there are a few villages scattered around the lake, each with their own "vibe". we stayed in san marcos, which is best described as the new age/yoga town. san juan is across the lake and that is the 20-something/party/bongo-playing-around-the-campfire town. dont really know much about the other villages. if youre looking for a romantic get-away with the lady id recommend san marcos. its really peaceful.

several good restaurants in the village. there is an older italian couple that runs a restaurant out of their house. it was some of the best italian food i ever had. there is a bar/restaruant called the blind lemon. good food too. the owner is a white dude from north carolina named carlos. he is a blues guitar player who loves blind lemon jefferson. we got special attention when he found out we were from texas, just like blind lemon himself.

i just googled a few things and dang, its changed A LOT since i was there only 9 years ago. seems more developed and touristy now. not saying not to go. i would still definitely recommend...but it appears to have become more of a popular spot then it used to be.

we stayed at this amazing eco-hotel really close to the lake. it was called hotel aaculaax, but has new owners and is now called lush atitlan (lame name!). looks like it has a spa and massages now. i see lots of stuff about "wellness". its a beautiful spot though and the rooms are really cool and unique. first pic is of the room we stayed in. those windows look out onto the lake. $30 a night, but if they are now marketing the hotel as a spa and "wellness center" its probably more expensive now. if you go here, try and get the room directly above it. my friends had that one. you have to climb some stairs to get up there, but its got a great panoramic view of the lake. previous owners were a married couple and the wife was a chef who cooked amazing breakfasts...not sure if thats still an option, but eating out on their roof-top patio is one of the best memories i have of being there.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

i went as part of a trip where we flew into villahermosa, mexico. went to palenque, san cristobal de las casas then took a bus to guatemala. went to lake atitlan then antigua. definitely spend a couple days there. great place to stock up on souvenirs and gifts. tons of artisan markets where you can get lots of really cool, colorful folk art like masks, tapestries and clothes. flew out of guatemala city, but spent zero time there. heard its pretty dangerous.

#25 jo mama, Jul 18, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2019