1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mavericks want a first round pick for Wesley Matthews

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Clutch, Jan 25, 2018.

1. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Oh man, Ryno AND Dirk BOTH limping around out there trying to switch on PnR's? O lawd. DeAndre would average 7 fouls per game trying to help late at the basket. Y'all cray.

da_juice likes this.
  2. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

They weren't tanking when they signed Parsons and Mathews.

3. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

They obviously wanted too banking on two injured players.

4. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

Over confidence in their medical staff. Which is very good, and they have had a history of taking previously injury prone players and making that work. But that is what led to the situation above.

5. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

Nope, me either. What this really says is Mavs want to keep him unless someone out there is stupid. I think he's playing fine this year, but many Mavs fans probably couldn't wait to get rid of him. Mainly due to his contract. But that's not on him, that's on Cuban...and also what makes getting rid of him hard..

If he were a free agent...what salary would he likely get on the open market? Maybe not that far off where he is now. A good comparison might be Trevor Arizza, and not sure I wouldn't put Matthews ahead of him. So, $18M or so is probably about right, and Mavs fans should get used to that reality.

hakeem94 likes this.
  6. Nook

Nook Member

He would help the Rockets quite a bit.

A trade of Knight, Nene and a #1 would help the Rockets.

7. sefant77

sefant77 Member

Mavs are not going to kill 20 mio of their 2019 cap space for trash and a crappy 1st.

Thats the amount they could throw at homeboy Julius Randle.

8. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

Actually...he would! And probably not just on the floor, but in the locker room. I could see that happening...if so, you heard it from Nook first!

hakeem94 likes this.
  9. Vivi

Vivi Member

Well, as today the pick is pretty good so, if not protected i'd do that in a heartbeat if i'm the Mavs, especially cause i'm not sure who they'll be able to sign next summer, and by that time Knight's contract will be expiring anyway, probably not that hard to move if necessary. I wouldn't do the trade if i'm the Rockets though, no way i risk to lose a lottery pick to get Matthews expiring.

10. BigBum

BigBum Member

Cavs are the only team that wants Knight Contract. My friends works for NBC sports told me last night that Cavs want 2019 unprotected First for JR as the compensation for Knight contract.

11. Vivi

Vivi Member

I really hope this is real since it would mean it's not happening.

saleem likes this.
  12. BigBum

BigBum Member

Basically JR Smith has one year contract remaining at 19 million. In other words, you have to pay him 19M for one year service. That is $16 million overpaid.

13. BigBum

BigBum Member

\
    If Tilman forces Morey to dump Knight contract as soon as possible, it could happen.

14. Vivi

Vivi Member

That's the only way i can see it happening but i hope that even Tilman is smarter than that, at this point you either roll with Knight and try to put him in a trade next summer when he'll be expiring, or you trade him with assets to get back a solid player. Makes no sense to trade our 1st rounder just to take 15M off the books for the next season without making some sort of upgrade, we would basically lose assets and limit our future options just to do something we can still do in 6 months.

15. vick

vick Member

Morey must have read the book.

hakeem94, Zboy and arabrocket like this.
  16. BigShasta

BigShasta Contributing Member

LOL

Morey provided a detail foreword.

17. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

JR isn't worth even a second rounder.

18. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

They traded Korver for Alec Burks and two seconds. Granted, Burks is expiring. In either case, top 20 protected, and maybe I'd be interested, only because JR's contract is so unique with the guarantee language.

19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Isn't JR another lesser Melo with a little more range but much worse contract? How bad is his Defense?

I get that it is one year but it does not matter if JR improves us to an 8th seed. It really does not matter that much.

20. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

I live in Dallas. Everyone needs to understand that the fan base would be quite happy to see Matthews go. Mainly just expectation/perception mismatch. He's a decent player with what they assume is an exorbitant contract. There has been a lot of talk of starting one of the young guy in his place (Finney Smith).

As for looking it at from Rockets perspective, it's mainly all about this season, not next. Would he help them this season? Yes, he would. When you have as much money as they have already invested, they need to make moves like that...that they otherwise might not do.