1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Masai Ujiri shoved and struck cop

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Carl Herrera, Jun 14, 2019.

1. JW86

JW86 Member

Racist cop, a-hole because he's a Warriors fan, power hungry, whatever it was, this should never have gone public and that officer should be suspended for even questioning a guy who they should all know by face and was called by a player to come onto the court so there shouldn't have been questioning involved at all.

I really wonder with this story and the common once a franchise experience for Lin if security is being briefed on the people involved like players and others who are part of the teams.

2. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

If a person is even remotely okay with covering up or backing up another person’s actions when they harm an innocent person, or go on a power trip, they, in turn, are not a good person. A good person would quit and seek employment elsewhere.

There’s regulation in nearly every industry to prevent people screwing over those they are trying to protect/serve. In my industry, it’s called KYC. Know your customer. It’s scary that we can’t really persecute hot heads in the police force. It’s also the main reason they have so many.

Those people don’t belong in society at all. Giving them guns is absolutely insane. I supported cops when it was only about black people with BLM, because that’s racist as hell. Now that support has spread to all humans, I’m behind it too.

3. withmustard

withmustard Member
    Supporting Member

The guy in the green shirt deserves a raise. The cop was clearly going to come in for an arrest when the green shirt guy puts his hands on him and gets in his way. Then a second cop comes and the guy in the green shirt holds him back as well. I fully believe the officer instigated this, but regardless, anytime you put your hands on a police officer in that kind of moment it's obstruction of justice at best and assault at worst.

The video shows clear evidence of the green shirt guy as well. On the street the cops would not let a bunch people separate them from their suspect, as they shouldn't. Based on the numbers, guns would have been drawn and everybody would be ordered to lay on the ground. Only reason why that didn't happen was cameras and environment. Their were too many cameras and very rich people, and cops don't know who is who.

The green shirt guy deserves huge credit for risking a lot to diffuse the situation.

4. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

How many accounts do you have here?

You need to be smarter than that.

5. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

Why? It's not like you can actually count

6. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

If anybody instigated a physical altercation you have every right to defend yourself. Cops have no right to violate anybody. What's the use of having a badge if you're using it to violate ppl?

Lovemachine2000 and Rocket River like this.
  7. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

I see several butt-hurt folks in here crying and whining.

You cannot have Canadians or Nigerians running amok in Oakland without presenting proper identification documents in a prompt manner.

National security cannot be compromised.

Cops have to maintain security!

snowconeman22 and KingCheetah like this.
  8. withmustard

withmustard Member
    Supporting Member

Guy in green shirt had nothing to do with the original conflict. Nobody violated guy in green shirt. I'm not on the cops side, I'm just taking a realistic view. Cops can charge you for anything and it's your responsibility to prove innocence in court, not on the spot with resistance.

I was once felony stopped because the police officer misread my license plate and thought the car was stolen. They pulled their guns, and it got really heated. Had I not complied to all orders because felt I "had a right to defend myself", I would probably be dead. Again, I'm really on nobody's side, because I wasn't there, but "defending" yourself against a police officer in a public place with witnesses is not the way to go. If you're rights have truly been compromised, allow them to arrest and sue. I'd rather stand down and be rich, than stand up and be dead.

pantherheat32 likes this.
  9. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I wasn't present in the chaos for a first hand view, but what if Deputy Doolittle asked him for his creds (that he was holding in his hand) and Ujiri just shoved him out of the way immediately? There is a chance Ujiri was being a DB and the deputy was just doing his job. You may have noticed a massive crowd surging towards the court and likely dozens of fans trying to sneak into the celebration.

With that said the cop was probably just being an *******, but I will reserve judgement until all the facts come out.

10. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I wasn't there, so I have no idea what happened, but since everyone else is jumping to conclusions, I wanna do it, too! :D
    Does anybody know if Ujiri showed the credentials badge or, as others have stated, possibly a gold armband, or whatever when requested? He's obviously not wearing the thing in the pics I've seen, so if he's holding it, then I can see the cop asking him to show the credentials. Now, what Ujiri did after being asked to show it is the question.

I also heard the cop or some other people may have had a bodycam on that will be sent to be investigated that may show what happened.

11. yoeddy

yoeddy Contributing Member

Dunno..but from all the photos of people on the court, I didn't see anyone wearing a gold armband...

Lovemachine2000 likes this.
  12. jasonmurray29

jasonmurray29 Member

I honestly don’t know if he knew who he was. I barely know and I’m a huge NBA fan. Obviously that would change everything, though. My point was just take a deep breath and show credentials to the cop then celebrate.

13. pahiyas

pahiyas Member

There was a GSW fan who was there and WITNESSED what happened. The cop is in the wrong and I believe him until BTG convinced me otherwise.

14. Asian Sensation

I’m sorry if it’s insensitive but this clip is kinda funny yet very telling to me. Not saying he did or didn’t but it’s hard to imagine Masai being an aggressor and trying to shove/punch his way to rush on to the court just minutes before.

People usually don’t go from let’s ****ing Rage and going out of there way to assault a cop just to get to the court only to look genuinely lost, confused and afraid to celebrate after getting there. Lowry looks like he just found his dad after he’d been lost hiking in the woods and finally rescued after a couple weeks.

arno_ed, AroundTheWorld and dc rock like this.
  15. Asian Sensation

This. That cop had bad intentions in his eyes and body language. Whatever would’ve transpired had green shirt guy not held him back would’ve definitely all been on camera. Whatever that cop was going to do had he not gotten held back was going to be a terrible look justified or not especially since we still don’t have footage of the original altercation.

16. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

Excuses. They know who the GM of each team is. Police have briefings & it's not like it's game 1 of the series, or his 1st time in Oracle. They wanted to make a statement by denying him access & they did. Let's not play stupid

17. yoeddy

https://balleralert.com/profiles/bl...-raptors-president-for-battery-on-an-officer/

Greg Wiener, a witness who said he was about “three inches away” from the officer during the incident, told USA TODAY Sports that the police’s account of the altercation is “not entirely true.” Wiener said, “(Ujiri) had (his credential) in his hand and his hand was down by his side. It looked like he was trying to get it up. As Ujiri came forward, the cop stepped forward and put his hand on his chest and basically said, ‘Nobody can go past this point.’ He just stopped him. Ujiri didn’t say anything, he didn’t get his badge up, then the cop kind of pushed him back, then Ujiri shoved him. I mean, hard.

Wiener continued, “The thing that I’m pushing back on is where they’re saying that the cop asked for his credentials. Yeah, he didn’t ask. There was no conversation at all.” Wiener added that he “didn’t see” Ujiri strike the officer in the face and said, “the cop initiated the contact, no doubt about it.”

18. Jontro

Jontro Member

i was there and saw this first hand. ujiri deserves to be in federal prison for decades. he put the lives if the officer and surrounding people in danger.

apollo33 likes this.
  19. yoeddy

You mean because he put together a team capable of beating the Warriors on their home court?

Jontro likes this.
  20. JeffB

JeffB Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This this would occur involving a Bay Area, and especially an East Bay, officer does not surprise me. These aren’t officers noted for their civility in dealing with the non-white public.

I would think Alameda would just want this attention to go away. They have enough scandal to deal with. Or maybe they think this headline is better than their most recent headlines? LOL

Invisible Fan and amaru like this.