1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Marvel TV] The Defenders

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Xerobull, Jan 19, 2016.

1. Juxtaposed Jolt

To be honest, I think the only show one doesn't need to watch, is Luke Cage. Elektra (DD), references to Kilgrave (JJ) and the Hand (on all shows, but more pronounced on IF) are included, but aside from Misty Knight, I don't think there are many things from the Luke Cage series.

The Defenders can absolutely be a standalone series, provided you know a little bit about each character. Which is nice for the casual fan.

2. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Episode 5: The extremely short fight between Luke Cage and the Nigerian index finger of The Hand was the best fight choreography of the season so far (outside of the Daredevil stuff of course). The way the Nigerien fought is how I imagine Iron fist should fight. I think it is VERY lame that they decided to have their full fight off screen.

I also thought the Nigerian was more intimidating in captivity than any one of the other head finger hand guys.

Watching all the side kicks and ancillary characters in one room interacting was strangely satisfying.

#82 DreamShook, Aug 19, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2017
  3. Juxtaposed Jolt

All of the "side characters" seem to have relevance to the plot, though. They weren't there just to be part of the scenery. Colleen has history with Bakuto, who's part of the Hand. Misty is part of the NYPD, which the team visits. Stick and Elektra are part of the main storyline. In fact, I don't think there's a B-story to this first season.

I guess you can argue that Trish doesn't need to be there, but she didn't have that much screentime (I'm starting episode 6, as I'm typing this).

No matter his physiology, Rand is just a lean dude. After summoning his Chi, Rand probably still has to rest before he has the strength to do it again.

Luke Cage sexually ruining Night Nurse for everyone in the MCU. :mad:

4. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

The actual summoning of the "iron fist" is not my problem, it's Danny not looking like he actually knows martial arts. The Luke Cage/Nigerian fight in episode 5 is how Danny should be fighting without his powers IMO. The way Danny fights, being so slight in build, is weird; It looks like he is trying to punch every thing hard instead of maybe pin-pointing weak spots or guiding stronger attacks away from his body Tai-Chi style.

Luke Cage is a real slut. It's a problem.

Rocket River likes this.
  5. Juxtaposed Jolt

Yeah, I'm hoping they'll explore (more) about his time in K'un-Lun for season 2, which is something they should have done in season 1 tbh. But I'm assuming he was taught a certain way...or something.

I dunno. Spoilers for season 1 of IF:

They mentioned Rand taking the heart of the Dragon in KL, which gave him his powers...which SHOULD have been a "holy ****!" moment, but it was so anticlimactic. The budget might have been too small to show a dragon fight, but explaining this through exposition was really stupid.

6. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

This is what I needed to know.

7. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Ninja girl is hot

8. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

No. Very little IRON FIST related. . . . I mean . .. If you know the Comic Iron Fist. . .that should be sufficient
    If not . . .. meh . . . I would still skip it. . . . LMAO . . .
    What you miss you can pick up . . . I would not do that to you

Rocket River

9. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Luke Cage should not be able to lay a finger on Iron Fist . . . . .
    Honestly . . . most of the others should not either
    As Iron Fist he is suppose to be the supreme martial artist . . . .too fast for how many punches he takes
    This Flinn guy just sucks. . . his acting sucks. . . his character sucks and his martial arts sucks
    he drug the series down from an A to a B.

Madam Gao is the best villian in this series . .. second best behind KingPin - Cotton Mouth is a close thrid
    I was disappointed that the Nigeria becomes a stereotypical warlord. . . . .

I had other questions as well
    Why is Gao so much older than the rest and why is she the only one with the force?

Rocket River

10. FishBulb913

FishBulb913 Contributing Member

This show is really not good. I just finished it because I have no life, but man this may be the worst out of all of them.

finalsbound and ghettocheeze like this.
  11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

It is not the best for sure.

But yay the Cop gets her 'arm'.

12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Wilson Fisk is the high bar and standard now...... Sigourney what a weak sauce.

Jessica Jones surprised me, she can hold it down. The show cannot survive without the Devil of Hell's Kitchen.

I have made my peace with Finn Jones Sir Loras, would definitely have a better actor there and not necessarily Asian.

So the 'We grab a coffee or something' saying stands for getting down now.

#92 daywalker02, Aug 20, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2017
  13. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

This was very weak overall. Felt rushed or whoever was in charge didn't know what the hell they were doing. I do have high hopes for Punisher though.

14. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

agreed. While the Marvel movies have mapped out the story line for the next like 3-4 years, this series of shows feel like they haven't mapped out anything.

15. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I just cant believe how they managed to f**k up Iron Fist to this degree.The actor deserves some of the blame, but the production crew deserves most of it.

He always seems in over his head, he always loses fights, he has to say he's the immortal iron fist at least once an episode, and his fighting looks like a wushu teacher, not an actual fighter. How can DD have such good choreography, and Iron Fist so piss poor. All of that's on production, not the actor.

They wrote him like some purple belt try hard, not a super elite fighter that went through years of training to earn a legendary title.

16. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I guess I'll spoiler tag these....

So Misty loses her arm, I wonder what they plan to do with this...or rather I wonder if they plan on giving Coleen and Misty their own show like how they work together in the comics.

It would be really cool if like in the comics Ironman (RDJ himself) made a guest appearance (like even a short 3-5 minute one) and gave her a new arm, just a little fanservice and reminder that the cinematic universe is connected to the television one but I guess that won't happen.

It's hard to see them get a spinoff series but with how they are doing it, I could see it happening. It feels like it's one long series that you're supposed to watch in order.

17. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

Why don't they just give him the iron fist mask/outfit so they can hire a stunt double to do cool martial arts? Don't they do this for Daredevil? The fighting for iron fist should be even more technically difficult so why not get a pro?

Also how does someone grow up and train with monks and have no emotional control? Isn't that what monks are known for?

#97 tallanvor, Aug 20, 2017
  18. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

I made it halfway through the sixth episode. the guy who plays iron fist is soooo bad.

19. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

EXACTLY. he's way too much of a whiny b****

20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

He seems to have severe anger management issues while not having enough wushu skills to fight through, relying on his chi fist only.

#100 daywalker02, Aug 20, 2017