1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Marvel TV] Luke Cage

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Xerobull, Mar 3, 2015.

1. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

NETFLIX'S LUKE CAGE IS "GEARED TOWARDS AN ADULT AUDIENCE

<iframe src="http://widgets.ign.com/video/embed/content.html?url=http://www.ign.com/videos/2015/03/03/why-luke-cage-will-be-different-from-the-marvel-movies-ign-news" width="468" height="263" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

"It's geared towards an adult audience, which is something that will be different from the Marvel Cinematic Universe that you've seen before on the big screen," says Mike Colter, the actor charged with bringing Luke Cage to life in the forthcoming Netflix series.

Speaking to IGN about the forthcoming release of Halo: Nightfall on DVD and Blu-ray, Colter spoke in detail about how race doesn't factor into his preparation for Cage, why he's excited about the role, and how Marvel's shows on Netflix will feel connected but distinct from the rest of the established MCU.

"I'm excited about playing the character because I've read the comic books," says Colter. "They're very detailed, gritty; the world they've written in the comic books is very clear. Marvel does a fantastic job about bringing human stories – because you're telling big stories with a heart at the centre of it – and that's what connects all of the characters to our audience members. Audience members have to feel connected with these characters, to make them relate to the character's situations and that's what you see with all of the Marvel characters."

[​IMG]

He went on to describe more about how the Netflix show, which has yet to begin shooting, and why he's so eager to play the iconic Marvel character and how the writers are approaching the character: "What I’m most excited about is touching on what makes him tick. It feels good to get a character that has such a story, background, and history. And when I look at the scripts, I’m really pleased with it because it’s a slow-burn; there’s nothing happening really fast that gets ahead of itself. I’m really with where they’re taking it and how they’re developing the characters, because it’s really cool and it’s geared towards an adult audience, which is something that will be different from the Marvel Cinematic Universe you’ve seen before on the big screen.

"We have a more gritty, focused story on our heroes and characters that live in New York City, but it’s geared towards a more adult audience and I think that’s the thing about the series that will be different."

This certainly tallies with what we've already seen on Netflix's first Marvel adaptation, Daredevil, which debuts on April 10th.

The character of Luke Cage debuted in the pages of Marvel's comics back in the early 1970s, a time when its books were predominantly filled with white superheroes. Race was an important factor when the character was conceived by Archie Goodwin and John Romita, Sr. While Colter's familiar with the character's origin, race isn't something he's thinking about too much going into playing the character – that's something for the writers to worry about, he says.“

[​IMG]

The approach with the character for me is more about the human qualities and the things that make Luke Cage tick."

"I’m one of those people who is colour blind to a certain degree. And that doesn’t mean I’m not acutely aware of race in our country and abroad and in the world. I know what’s going on and I’m very aware of it.

"If you are a certain race, you know that. It’s not a big thing with me. I’m a black male who’s playing a character who has historically been black. The approach with the character for me is more about the human qualities and the things that make Luke Cage tick. And the writers have to then decide to bring in the race of the character, if there’s an angle there. But I don’t look at it as something I have to prep differently for, because I am what I am and I approach the characters as they have to then be played by me, Mike Colter – the actor who happens to be black. It’s more of an aside, rather than something I take on by the horns. It doesn’t really factor for me at all."

Netflix is currently producing four shows based on Marvel properties: Daredevil, AKA Jessica Jones, Luke Cage, and Iron Fist. All four characters will eventually team up for a miniseries based on The Defenders. What a time to be alive. IGN Logo

2. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

They should cast a white actor to be progressive and edgy.

Seriously though, casting Iron Fist with an Asian guy would be like reverse racism to David Carradine and be total box office poison.

3. Outlier

Outlier Member

What's cool about this guy except that he's just...durable?

4. Xerobull

'Street-level' everyman hero. What's not to like about a black kid from the hood making it as a superhero?

5. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

My successful African American friends find the plot too urban.

But seriously... will watch.

6. Juxtaposed Jolt

Definitely. More diversity, in any medium, is always welcome.

Dude has superhuman strength and stamina, and is highly resistant to physical injury. Offense and defense in one.

Scratch Mike Colter - should have gotten Jimmy Butler to play Cage.

7. Cranberry_Juice

won't watch unless it's Tyler Perry.

8. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

From Luke Cage: Hero for Hire to this. Not expecting much but I might give it a shot.

9. edwardc

edwardc Member

Dude really perry stop with that nonsence.

10. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Contributing Member

11. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet
    Supporting Member

Are they going to have him exclaim "Sweet Christmas" when something surprising happens? Is he going to track down Dr. Doom and demand, "Where's my money, honey?"

12. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Colter as Cage is also the third billed cast member in the Jessica Jones series Netflix is doiing, so Netflix is going all in on Luke Cage.

13. Xerobull

Hear Mike Colter Say 'Sweet Christmas!" As LUKE CAGE For The First Time

Luke Cage is currently shooting in New York City, and while we'll meet the character in Jessica Jones next month, it could be some time before we hear him say his iconic catchphrase. Well, you can listen to it here, along with an explanation from the actor about why it works...

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/kHsD3sVcn2g" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

While he doesn't put the same kind of emphasis on it that we'll likely hear in Jessica Jones or Luke Cage, you can hear Mike Colter say "Sweet Christmas!" for the first time in the video below. He also weighs in on the character's use of the catchphrase, stating: "I was afraid of that phrase, but it actually fits so well, I don't know why, I don't know why it fits so well into Luke's mouth. It's appropriate, always apropos." One thing which doesn't work is Luke's classic small screen costume, and Colter tells ComicBook.com about why that kind of thing initially made him reluctant about accepting the role. "When I saw the tiara, all the 1970s blackspoitation stuff, I was like, 'oh my God...' But they assured me, 'that's not what we're doing, we're doing a modern day version.' But yeah, [Luke Cage is] production-codenamed 'Tiara'. It's so funny. We're gonna give them what they want, though."

14. Xerobull

Luke Cage getting a costume!

[​IMG]

Mike Colter made his presence felt in Jessica Jones last year, but will be taking on a leading role in his own series as Luke Cage this Fall. No footage was shown off from that show over the weekend, but Mike Colter did drop some very interesting titbits about what’s next for Power Man now that he’s no longer under Kilgrave’s control. Amazingly, it definitely sounds like a familiar costume may be in his future not too long from now.

“You know when you see something and you know they’re going to do it and you cant believe it’s real?” Colter asked in one interview when he was quizzed about an appearance from the iconic yellow shirt and tiara his character wore during his early comic book appearances. “I’ll leave it at that. Anything that’s primarily Luke Cage we want to save for Luke Cage’s series. I’m not saying that you’re going to see the yellow shirt, but if you’re going to see it, it’ll be in Luke Cage’s series.” There are numerous ways that look could be handled in a believable way, especially after Jessica Jones managed to sneak her Jewel outfit into that series.

The actor was also quick to point out to reporters that Luke Cage won’t be a sequel to Jessica Jones, but will pick up some of the plot threads from that series (thereby not ignoring what he went through there).

15. Xerobull

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Ymw5uvViqPU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

16. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

After DD and JJ, I'm very ready for Luke Cage.

Still not feeling Iron Fist or Defenders.

17. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Ditto on not feeling Iron Fist. Somewhat curious about Defenders as the old Defenders comics that I have consisted of Dr. Strange, Hulk, Namor and Silver Surfer. After seeing how well they handled Daredevil, I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt.

18. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

Anyone else think Mortal Kombat Johnny Cage?

19. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

Hell yeah this looks like its going to be awesome.

Props for using ODB too, Return to the 36 Chambers is still in the rotation.

20. Juxtaposed Jolt

So how is a bad guy supposed to go up against Luke Cage? It'll probably take a nuke to kill Cage, no?

What's Cage's "kryptonite?"