1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Marvel movie] Black Panther

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by seclusion, Oct 28, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Took my Father in law this weekend
    He has not been in a theater in 40 years

Rocket River

Jontro, DreamShook and heypartner like this.
  2. Junkyard_Dog

Junkyard_Dog Member

They release that four hour cut in theaters and I'd go watch it again

JeffB and RQM3830 like this.
  3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Wakanda tech brings everyone together.

FLASH21 likes this.
  4. EightDoobies

EightDoobies Member

After watching Black Panther for the second time. It really does hit home as one of the best Marvel superhero movies. Yes, it had tons of hype behind it. However, its matches right up with that hype. As a black man, this movie was refreshing to see black actors in a heroic spotlight rather than the normal depressing ones such as 12 years a slave and etc. Black Panther goes head to head with Thor: Ragnorok for the greatest superhero movie, in my opinion.

mikol13 and MadMax like this.
  5. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I think it's way better than any Thor movie. I enjoyed SpiderMan Homecoming, but that's largely because I grew up a huge fan of that character. But Black Panther imo is the best of the Marvel stand alone superhero movies by far.

EightDoobies likes this.
  6. Butterfingers

Butterfingers Contributing Member

Are people
    Better than the Dark Knight? Thor and Black Panther both look so cheesy I haven't wanted to see either of them.

7. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

It has become overrated, which I kind of figured would happen becuase Black People are so happy to have it, and white people don't want to say anything against it

It was a great movie, but I don't even think its the best overall Marvel movie. I would still put The Avengers, GOTG, and Civil War ahead of it, probably Winter Soldier and Iron Man also. At least a discussion can be had calling it the greatest Marvel movie, so I'm kind of OK with that even if I disagree with it.

But when you get into people calling it the GOAT superhero movie up against the likes of Logan and The Dark Knight, it falls well short, as virtually everything in the MCU does as much as I love it. The Marvel formula has made it wildly entertaining and a cash cow, but it has it's drawbacks when it comes to creating stand alone masterpieces.

8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Box office magnet.

9. K LoLo

K LoLo Member

I saw this last Friday. I'll echo that it was pretty great. I don't think it was my personal favorite of all time, but its just my opinion.

It definitely set me up to get hyped for Infinity War. I went back and re-watched Civil War, and watching a few others prior to Infinity War, so I'm pretty excited for when that movie comes out.

10. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I forgot about GOTG. Guess I don't consider that a superhero movie..but you're right..it's a Marvel comic movie. I'd have it first...Black Panther second....on my list of Marvel movies.

I never saw Logan, but I want to.

The whole Nolan Dark Knight trilogy is tops to me, though. It's brilliant and completely steps out of the genre; particularly The Dark Knight which is among my favorite movies of all time, regardless of genre.

Invisible Fan and heypartner like this.
  11. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

I love the fact it slaughtered Wrinkle in Time and Tomb Raider. Whoever greenlit that shite deserves the steamroller.

ferrari77 likes this.
  12. dmoneybangbang

It was enjoyable but way overhyped. Loved the world building but until we get into Infinity War I just can’t feel the hero’s struggle/danger. Never thought BP was ever in any danger or the fate of Wakanda was ever truly in balance.

That’s been my biggest gripe about the MCU, too much puppies and sunshines. I get it, this is Disney.... there’s profit to be made.... like Star Wars... how about Kylo Ren and Ray team up as the ending to Last Jedi?

13. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I've been having MCU burnout for the last two years. I like that they're adding new layers like the humor in stuffy Kenneth Branaugh Thor or social issues like BP. Formula is still the same though.

The problem with Superman movies is that if he's around, then why are things still the same? With Batman you root for him pushing that boulder up the mountain. Superman can lift mountains.

I liked how Civil War felt like a sequel to Avengers and I expect Infinity War to be even better.

14. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

If you think it is overhyped. . .. well maybe it is not for you
    I think nothing is more overhyped than Ledger's Joker
    I think Captain America's Trilogy is better than the Dark Knight Trilogy

It's ok . . . . . .

Some people actually think BvS and the JLA movie were actually good
    when I think they are overly complicated mish mash of ****

ITs ok . . . . . .

Rocket River
    People are simply voting with their dollars . . . . . ..

15. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

It was all leading up to Infinity War. Once we get to next month, the heroes' fates will be up in the air.

If you're still disappointed after Part 1 and 2 of Infinity War, this just isn't for you.

16. dmoneybangbang

My point was that it took too long to get to Infinty War, the set up was too long in my opinion.

17. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Need direction on which movies to watch, in what order, and which can be skipped so that I can get all caught up on the Marvel Universe. I’ve already seen all of the Iron Man movies, Civil War, and Black Panther but I’m ok with rewatching for context. I may have seen a few more or bits and pieces of others as well, but can’t recall for sure.

18. marky :)

marky :) Member

1. Marvel's The Avengers
    2. Winter Soldier
    3. Guardians of the Galaxy 1
    4. Dr. Strange

You could probably get away with just those 4, probalby don't even have to watch Dr. Strange. Or switch out Dr. Strange with Avengers Age of Ultron

Edit: based on Movie Release Dates

19. K LoLo

K LoLo Member

You also need to watch the Thor movies.

20. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

lol the first two Thors are bottom of the barrel and forgettable. Ragnorak's different and worth watching.

Seconding Marky's list...

(any order) Antman or Homecoming if you need a break from epic storyline and like humor/personality.

The first GotG movie was listed. Second one not that necessary or important, but is liked because it kept its style.

Ultron was disappointing. You don't really need it except for the origin story of some new characters and the plot point's aftermath that sets up civil war.

Neither isn't confusing without watching it after an explanation.

#560 Invisible Fan, Mar 21, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2018