1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Marvel movie] Black Panther

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by seclusion, Oct 28, 2014.

Tags:
  1. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Same, I really like Ragnorak probably more than BP but not by much. Both were awesome.

Having said that this is what I mean by overrated.

[​IMG]

I mean c'mon man....

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  2. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

BP might have done 50% more business, if released May 1, at start of the summer season.

Movie studio heads showing their genius.

3. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

I think they timed it perfectly. The summer blockbuster was always going to be Infinity War. Black Panther getting released during Black History Month adds an extra element to its audience hype.

Since we're on the subject, does anyone else get a Futurama vibe from GOTG? A lot of the characters have similar personalities, and the movie mixes comedy well with the feels like Futurama does.

Junkyard_Dog likes this.
  4. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

It was perfectly placed. There will be nothing stopping it from steamrolling the box office all the way up to Infinity War.

Invisible Fan, Reeko and Junkyard_Dog like this.
  5. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

TBH if you released Wizard of Oz and Citizen Kane today it wouldn't sniff 90% on RT. Different times and the aurora of the films is what carries the high rating.

I, Tonya is sitting on 91%.

6. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

I can buy that but BP is not even the #1 comic movie. That goes to DK easily.

7. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Wakanda ridiculous argument is this?

Jontro, No Worries and DreamShook like this.
  8. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

BP not even best marvel film either. It’s just over hyped right now, once things settle or Infinity Wars comes out it’ll take its place around top 5-7 marvel films(not including any mutant films)

9. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I would say Winter Soldier is ahead of DK but not by much.

Rocket River likes this.
  10. edwardc

edwardc Member

I have to admit it was better than i thought it would be never thought the number would be that high but i'm glad anyways.

11. Reeko

Reeko Member

my mom just told me that she had went to see Black Panther...I’m shocked

she hadn’t been to a movie theater in years, and I never pictured her watching some superhero movie

I’m stunned that she actually went to go see it...she said she enjoyed it

12. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

IMO BP and Ragnorok are the two best superhero films ever. It's amazing to me that Marvel keeps getting better. I also don't think BP is overated I honestly just think that Ragnorok is underrated. Can't wait to see Infinity War. The acting in BP is superb, especially for an action movie. The mixture of comedy, drama, and action giving to us by great actors is why BP is rated the way it is. The accents are perfect. Marvel still playing chess.

arkoe likes this.
  13. bigben69

bigben69 Member

Maybe I'm biased but I just could never put any of these over dark knight. Too much cgi in BP but I did like the cast a lot. Ragnarok was funny and best Thor movie by far but something about ruffalo really annoyed me. I thought he was a better actor.

mrm32 and Invisible Fan like this.
  14. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

BP is one of the deepest Marvel movies which puts it high up in.my list. Winter Soldier was dark but its story comes from a war one or two generations away. It's pacing was tighter than bp imo because BP tried to do everything... Build a setting/universe, cross into different genres, setting a tone about colonialism without taking itself too seriously (like a DC movie would), and resetting cultural expectations without rejecting the the ones that already exists.

At least this movie and ragnorak proves non-white directors can be just as good. It shouldn't be about race, but it always is in an industry built on appearances.

Rocket River likes this.
  15. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

This is why BP is such a huge hit, especially domestically. People that wouldn't have gone to the theaters went to see it. My sisters went to see it in theaters and they usually just wait for these Marvel movies to reach streaming to watch. They have no intention of watching Infinity War in theaters.

16. Reeko

Reeko Member

you’re absolutely right...my mom never goes to movie theaters, had no idea what Marvel was, and knew absolutely nothing about superheroes but somehow heard about BP and actually went to go see it

I still can’t believe it

17. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Kinda sad it took this long for a movie like bp or coco to resonate with non-white American audiences.

18. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Just saw it and was pleasantly surprised. Most Marvel stuff is a total snoozefest to me. This was an actual movie with depth. Pretty good

19. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Looked for this thread on Friday after I saw it but couldn't find it.

Anyway, it was good. Coogler expertly hid Boseman's dry acting by surrounding him with great actors who can portray emotion: MBJ, Lupita, Whittaker, Bassett.

All around very well done. I hope this inspires Marvel to allow more bold moves with their movies going forward.

20. Reeko

Reeko Member

yeah, I’m glad this movie was able to do so well and have such a big impact

this movie is doing something right if it can get someone like my mom to go out and see it

she even asked me if they were going to make another one, and when they do, I should take her to go and see it...wow

bigben69 likes this.