1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Marc Gasol wants out if Memphis doesn't improve

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Spoolxx, Aug 18, 2017.

1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Marc has been the most skilled Center for years now.

Normalus likes this.
  2. basketballholic

I could easily see Gasol on the Celtics or the Spurs.

BigMaloe and jch1911 like this.
  3. jch1911

jch1911 Member

I echo this... esp. could see a three way trade b/w Milwaukee, Boston, & Memphis. Conley to Milwaukee; Gasol to Boston.

4. Play07

Play07 Member

Danny will be making the calls,

this isn't new

amaru likes this.
  5. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Would you pay a 24 minute per game center the max?

Would you pay him the max then insist he play starter minutes to match his pay (34 mpg) and regret it if his production efficiency (per 100 stats) suffers with increased load.

6. Reeko

Reeko Member

How about we see how he does this year? Are u just assuming that he'll be a 24 mpg C again this upcoming season? Also, how do we know that he'll get the max? The market was dry this year and will be even drier next summer. This isn't the summer of 2016 anymore where every team had cap space and any average or above average player had a chance to get a max deal.

7. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

Yeah I don't know about him getting a max contract either. I haven't looked at every team's flexibility, but to assume there are that many teams with room to throw a max contract at someone, possibly using their only available cap space in the next few years all on Capela hoping he takes them to the next level, not attempting to grab another name instead? Who knows but its not a foregone conclusion. Waiters couldn't get near the max from anyone, I know two completely different animals but just saying, only super stars are guaranteed that money now after what happened a year ago. On top of that he's a restricted free agent; we've all seen how ugly that can get for a player.

8. Vivi

Vivi Member

Fwiw, Noel is having a difficult time to get paid this summer, not saying based on this we can assume next summer nobody will offer Capela big money, but since they're pretty similar all things considered, maybe there's a good chance the situation will be good for us...unless Capela plays a terrific season of course.

9. PatBev

PatBev Member

Capella is a good fit with us but other teams are looking for that next freak big man that can hit the 3

If I was a GM I wouldn't really throw huge money at him

saleem likes this.
  10. Vivi

Vivi Member

Yeah, that's what i'm saying basically, unless he'll show he can score by himself this coming season, maybe other teams will not throw big money to him, which is the same thing is happening with Noel right now. Even though, maybe Noel is also a bit screwed by his attitude, i can see teams not offering him a big contract because they just don't trust him.

11. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

How many playoff minutes was he averaging against the Spurs? Nearly 30? In the playoffs for 6 games? What kind of PER stats did he have? Did his production decrease? Did you watch?

There is a huge distinction between a small tank and a bad motor. HUGE. No one has EVER said anything about Clint Capela's motor. That insinuates that he doesn't go hard consistently, which he does. He was going hard for nearly 30 minutes a night in the semi-finals against the second/third best team in the NBA, and he looked FANTASTIC.

12. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

Clint Capela V. Spurs.

Playoff minutes = 29 mpg, 6 games.

13 Points
    10.5 Rebounds
    3 Blocks
    69% from FT

Fact- Clint can play 29 hard minutes against the best in the league and produce. Was 22 years old. What in the F do you honkys want? Jesus.

Normalus likes this.
  13. Brown Lost It

Brown Lost It Member

Mem needs to just start rebuilding

jch1911 likes this.
  14. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

Good post but Gasol is a better passer than Bogut.

15. heypartner

Don't know why you are directing your rationalization at me ... MDA is the one who isn't given him starter minutes. MDA is the one who said in an interview that Capela has a motor/tank issue, and Morey is the one who has $7m wrapped up into two platooning backups.

In the playoffs, most players even get more minutes. Gasol averages 40 mpg for his entire career.

Vs SAS He was
    24 minutes
    24 minutes
    31 minutes
    25 minutes
    then Nene's injury. ​

And the entire OKC series he was
    25 minutes
    23 minutes
    23 minutes
    17 minutes
    22 minutes​

16. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

1. Mike D never once said that Clint has a "motor issue". That is a lie.
    2. Healthy Nene is according to Mike D, a "top 3 C" in this league. OBVIOUSLY that changes Clint's minutes.

None of that mutes the fact that Clint has already shown strong signs in playoff level games (at 22 years old) that he can play more minutes efficiently. Tiago Splitter DEEZ nuts... He can easily play 32 minutes a night at high efficiency. No question. It is coming.

17. heypartner

Yes he did. In preseason. He said he came in viewing Capela as having an energy issues or whatever word he used, and that he was concerned if they could up his minites. He said so far looks good and they intended to increase his minutes to 30+, but never happened.

Doesn't really matter because he only played half the game. I'm being nice to him saying it's something non skill related

Do you think MDA didn't play him for skill reasons. That would be worse, imo

#77 heypartner, Aug 20, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2017
  18. heypartner

Max players don't platoon.

19. heypartner

That's what we want

I'm just saying don't pay him Max on mere potential. Fortunately for us, doesn't look like anyone will give Noel even $20m on potential.

As you said Nene can be better than Capela. Black will be highly productive too. I think we'll find that offensively, it's not that hard to find guys who can grab lobs at high efficiency. Capela's main energy issue for me is the defensive side. He can't sustain it.

20. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

How much of that is due to lack of strength, stamina and the will to fight against the tougher players? Honestly, the only time Capela gave me hope was against the Spurs. OKC's frontline was too big and strong for him. If it wasn't for Nene, we could lost in the 1st round. That is not a knock on Clint on my part, because the entire team has to do well in order to win.