1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Marc Gasol wants out if Memphis doesn't improve

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Spoolxx, Aug 18, 2017.

1. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

Pen15clubber likes this.
  2. roslolian

roslolian Member

Are you forgetting about Nene? Iirc in the playoffs Nene was a beast in the PnR, in fact he made Capela obsolete Nene made like almost all of his shots in the first round.

Looking at stats when you analyze defense is misleading because when you have a good defender the best result is the opponent doesn't even attempt the shot and it leads to statistical anomalies like the Spurs defense being worse statiscally when Kawhi is on the floor. There are also articles that talk about this, how Kawhi "brings down the Spurs defense" doesn't mean that makes any sense. It may make sense statiscally but use any logical reasoning and it tells you it is dumb how somebody like Kawhi would bring down the team defense, rather whats happening is its the rest of the team who sucks on D. The same thing is true on Capela, he has a lot of + defensive stats because he is always attacked, he provides little to no paint presence so everyone can just drive to the paint at will. Everybody knows paint scoring is the most efficient scoring along with 3s, so even if Capela blocks or bothers his fair share of shots the mere fact that opponents are encouraged to drive into the paint is already bad for tean offense.

Secondly, in the PnR offense what is important is not the PnR, it is actually the set up guy. What I'm saying is you can find dozens of big men who can set picks and roll to the rim, lots of undersized big men can do that like ol whats his face (dude we traded to Clippers). Capela is a nice luxury, but given how good Harden and Cp3 are at creating plays I'm sure they can turn trash to treasure when it comes to PnR. A year of working on Cameron Oliver and Joe Chee and they might be serviceable in the regular season. In the playoffs we will be relying on Nene anyway. Sure you can argue that Capela will always be superior to Joe Chee and Oliver but at the same time Capela is due big bucks, I'd rather pay rooks than pay Capela his max money if they are gonna perform the same role.

3rd reason is PnR becomes useless in the playoffs. Why is it that the Clipps never got past the 2nd round? Its because they rely 100% on PnR between Griffin, Cp3 and Jordan. It doesn't work in the playoffs because everyone plays harder and denies the paint with ferocity. We also saw this against the Spurs and even OKC, if Nene didn't go beast mode and Westbrick didn't play like a dumbass then maybe we would have lost even in the first round. Gasol is the type of player you need in the playoffs because he can score in the paint and he can score on other guys 1on1. If Harden and Cp3 are getting covered or are extremely cold you can go to Gasol for a quarter or two and see if he can do some magic, unlike Capela who can't score on his own without somebody setting him up.

I am a big Capela fan if the Rox didn't get Cp3 I would have liked to keep him because he is the future of the Rox. But we are in win now mode I would totally be on board with Capela+Anderson for Gasol trade.

3. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Chandler Portions destroying yet another franchise

First the Mavs and now Grizz

RIP, Grizzlies, RIP what

J.R. likes this.
  4. Sanity2disChaos

He better. Capela would be drinking a Red Bull.

5. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

I don't see how anyone can be better than Capela for Harden and CP. I mean, obviously an Anthony Davis, but the pick and roll is so essential to our offense, we need an athletic guy like Capela. I think our offense needs our lobs to him more than Gasols passing. I'd take Capela over most non max centres

6. Sanity2disChaos

Lol. Damn

7. FoOLiSh_AzN

FoOLiSh_AzN Member

Marc Gasol is the best passer as a center in the entire NBA. Bogut is a good and willing passer but his passing is overrated.

8. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Jokic is.

RocketsTerps and BigMaloe like this.
  9. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Honestly if you are the Grizz moving a 32 year old Gasol for a 22 year old Capela is worth consideration.

Damn if Morey could trade Ryno and Capela for Gasol and the Knicks would buy out Melo...

Paul/Brown
    Harden/Gordon
    Ariza/Tucker
    Melo/MaM
    Gasol/Nene

10. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

All you're saying here is our offense is heavily dependent on fitting in Capela. That doesn't mean MDA doesn't know how to fit in a stretch 5, who is a very good passer, and can play PnR, too. Are you saying Gasol and Conley never did a PnR, or the Nash/Amare Pick n Pop? Are you saying MDA doesn't know how to coach GSW's offense.

imso, we've only seen a fraction of MDA's playbook, because we *must* play PnR so heavily to get Capela in the game, not because MDA must always have a Capela threat in his offense. Mark my words,,,we will see a lot more Pistol with Paul and Harden. And if we had Gasol, we'd see a lot more MDA 5-out Motion, and more MDA Horns....and 5 Fist-Up.

I'm not saying one offense is better than another, necessarily. But it sounds like you are. Or sounds like you think MDA is very rigid and requires a PnR threat. He did that, because that's all Capela can do...and it's very powerful, but not as many options as Bogut and Green bring GSW on offense, or Gasol will here. Again, more options doesn't mean a Stretch 5 passer is better than throwing a strong PnR game down the opposites throats...they are both good.

Gasol is just a better player all around (shooting, scoring, passing, rebounding, defense), and he actually plays starter minutes and actually plays 40 mpg in the playoffs. Even if Capela was equal talent at passing, rebounding and defense, he still loses any debate, since he only plays 24 minutes.

Little Bit and BigMaloe like this.
  11. nemac

nemac Member

Rockets game action
    Rockets roster moves
    Memphis player wants team to improve
    Worthy!

12. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

If Capela could net you Gasol, you take that and run. Over cousins and melo. If you need Ryan's salary, sorry melo and NY get that buyout.

But let's be clear, we couldn't outbid the Celtics. He would absolutely be a perfect fit there and they have better picks and talents.

RocketsTerps likes this.
  13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

He is old enough to leave. Go chase that ring.

14. FoOLiSh_AzN

FoOLiSh_AzN Member

You may be right Sir

15. ilias

ilias Member

Capela + Anderson + pick(s) for Gasol + Green (S&T, 4yrs/$50m)

Paul, Harden, Ariza, Green, Gasol

Our defense would become elite with 4 good defenders in the starting lineup.
    Offensively, all 5 can hit the 3, and we would have three great playmakers.

Little Bit likes this.
  16. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

People on here are severely underrating Gasol. Dude might be the best C in the league.

With that being said, teams have more to offer, and it'd have to be around the caliber of Capela, Ariza and/or Gordon, and picks. Melo we can have for just Ryno.

17. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

If you're talking non max centers, then yeah it doesnt get much better than Capela.... a soon to be max Center.

18. Tha_Dude

Tha_Dude Contributing Member

He might be, but the dude has health problems galore. He's also benefited from playing along side Zach Randolph for most of his prime. The price tag in trade will also be fairly high and I'm not sure it would be worth it.

Capela is progessing well enough, and he's serviceable against small ball lineups where as Gasol is less so.

BigggReddd likes this.
  19. OTMax

OTMax Member

Now we're talking!!

20. Vivi

Vivi Member

Yeah, i also think Marc is probably the best center in the league right now, i have also no doubt he would be amazing here (and fwiw we were already after him years ago), great defense, great passing and shooting for a center...i'm just not sure about him at this point cause he's 32 and he had a microfracture in his foot last year, this can be very risky.

Also, getting him for Anderson and Capela means we would have to trade Gordon and Ariza or Tucker for Melo and his bird rights, i'm not sure if/how this would impact our chance to get Lebron next summer since we would have no contracts to move for a sign & trade...it'll be interesting to see if Gasol is going to be on the trade block though, cause i guess if we will not read anything about an interest from the Rockets maybe it's because the banana boat thing is very likely to happen.