1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Jalen Green looks like a legit star, Amen Thompson is shining and the Rockets have found something without Alperen Sengun. Clutch is talking about the 10-game winning streak at 11:00am as we talk Rockets live!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

Man Arrested for Offering to Kill Bryant's Accuser

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by JuanValdez, Sep 19, 2003.

1. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

http://customwire.ap.org/dynamic/st...SE?SITE=TXHOU&SECTION=SPORTS&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

2. JuanValdez

I can't believe some of the craziness coming out from this case. This kind of stuff happens in the movies, not real life.

3. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Can we expect a made for TV movie about this story after everything is settled?

lw17 likes this.
  4. Holy Cow

Holy Cow Member

Do u think the movie would make huge money? If so, the media will do it.

5. JuanValdez

I think they'd have to pay Bryant for his story and, considering the nature of the story and Bryant's already immense wealth, I think his price tag would be prohibitively high. Then again, if he loses a civil suit and needs all the cash he can get his hands on, then maybe.

6. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Legal experts of the board:

Do they have to pay him if they don't want/need his official cooperation/endorsement? I mean, do you have the right to the story simply because you are in it? Then they'll have to pay the girl and her friends and the procecutor and the defense lawyers etc. :confused:

7. JuanValdez

Yeah, I thought about that. My conclusion was that since Bryant is a high-profile athlete, he already has a team to exploit his persona for maximum dollars. If they wanted to do a movie, Team Bryant would likely be very aggressive with them since they have the high-falutin' lawyers and whatnot. So, they could easily threaten to sue for defamation or libel even if the producers changed the name and occupation of the protagonist. The accuser would have a similar avenue open, but not nearly the same ability to exploit it. Plus, she'd be more easily bought out (unless she wins a civil suit). All very speculative, but there you go.

8. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Thanks, JV. I've always wondered about those real story movies. Some are "official" and some are "unofficial." I figured the official ones must be endorsed and colaborated with the main people involved. And they, naturally, would be paid.

I just wondered about those "unofficial" movies. Do they still need to pay the people in the stories? And as you said, if these people aren't paid, there is always the threat of defamation/libel suits.

9. piggy

piggy Member

Obey your thirst...

for murder!

10. Sanctity

Sanctity Member

I used to watch Discovery ID often and the kind of real life stories pertaining to the state of Texas used to make me feel the same way. Only in the movies...

But then again the state is sizeable nation in itself with varying social climates from small isolated towns to large cities.

#10 Sanctity, Jan 28, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2020
  11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

12. TMac'n

TMac'n Contributing Member

[​IMG]

And you give not a single reason to why you bumped this?

13. Sanctity

Sanctity Member

It was made available via archives and I literally thought it was still live. Blame the related archive system of board and the fact that I'm posting from a mobile device...

14. JuanValdez

I have no recollection at all of this, and I'm the OP.

In other news, I've been coming to this bbs way too long.

15. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Me too

B-Bob and francis 4 prez like this.
  16. TilmanFinancialWindfall

17. Juxtaposed Jolt

Is that your excuse to the cops when they accuse you of offing Bryant's accuser? ;)