1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Luka Doncic: Top 5 pick when available

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by _RTM_, Jun 24, 2016.

1. Bennie Anders

Bennie Anders Member

2. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Full highlights:

3. omgTHEpotential

The great white hope. If there's one guy who can become a superstar, it's Doncic. I don't really consider Hayward a superstar.

4. Caesar

Caesar Member

Why is this guy getting so much hype? He just looks like a stronger Brent Barry to me..nice future role player.

5. omgTHEpotential

Brent Barry... lol.

Doncic at 18 years old is dominating grown men, some NBA players included. He can do pretty much everything offensively. Has great motor, is a really good rebounder and has a really high basketball IQ in general. The only question mark is with his lateral quickness which might limit his defensive ceiling. His game is very similar to Harden's. Both super crafty, can change speeds, know how to play angles. James beats him in physical tools (athleticism, brute strength), but there are some areas where Doncic is superior. Doncic is like a white James Harden. I'm not saying that he will ever be as good as James, but that's his ceiling, IMO.

6. Caesar

Caesar Member

No, you're right Brent Barry was faster with more coordination and handles and point guard skills and obviously a better shooter.

White Harden huh? Sorry man...looks like a good role player, but what do i know? He must have hype for a reason right? Maybe some young Joe Johnson in him...

7. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

I see a little Larry Bird in the fellow. Hope he develops. Larry would have dominated in today's game even more so than he did then.

8. omgTHEpotential

Nonsense. Doncic is on a completely different tier as a prospect than Barry was. He's that Harden level prospect. Barry was more athletic and longer, but also weaker than Doncic is. I'll give you that.

9. Bennie Anders

Bennie Anders Member

Reminds me of Lonzo Ball with a much better looking shot.

10. Koperboy

Koperboy Member

Another great game from Luka!

omgTHEpotential likes this.
  11. omgTHEpotential

Thanks for this.

Offensively, he should be very good, even at the NBA level. He will have a hard time beating his man off the dribble because he's not particularly fast or explosive (neither was Larry Bird), but he's so skilled and crafty it's crazy. His basketball IQ also seems to be elite for his age. The biggest challenges in the NBA for him will be the defense and offensive adjustments to athletically far superior and longer defenders compared to the Euroleague. But I think he has one of the highest floors of all young prospects, meaning he will surely be AT LEAST a capable role player at the NBA level.

Koperboy likes this.
  12. Koperboy

Koperboy Member

Yet again a good game from Luka yesterday, this time against Valencia. 3 rebounds away from triple double!

13. Normalus

Normalus Member

He's quite bad in ISO, despite his size.

14. omgTHEpotential

He seems adequate on ISO postups, it's ISOs on the perimeter that he doesn't seem to be particularly amazing at because he's not fast enough to beat his man off the dribble. But he has that step-back jumper perfected it seems. Overall, I agree that it's not the strongest part of his offensive game.

15. Koperboy

Koperboy Member

He was working individually on his game a lot last offseason. This summer he went on an Eurobasket tear and I'm starting to see some similarities to Goran's game.
    Being 18y old, it's unrealistic to expect all his skills to be polished. The important thing is he has high ceiling, high motor and a gym rat approach.
    In one interview he said he wanted to come home after his parents left the Spain and he was all alone in a foreign country - at 13 years old. The day he decided to stay would go on to shape his whole life.

16. ilias

ilias Member

Harden is not a bad comparison. He reminds me a lot of Bodiroga with an NBA-ready body. He is a better prospect than other play-making recent draft picks (Simmons, Ball). Unlike them he has no major flaw either side of the court. Very polished offensively and a versatile defender. I can see him gaining some muscle once he joins the NBA. He is still 18, plenty of room to become a better athlete. Speed, leaping ability, strength will all improve. Great size for a playmaker and likely to grow. He is already a better player than a peak Boris Diaw. Mediocre athletic ability puts a ceiling to his upside but I can see him as a top-10 player in the league at his peak, averaging 22-8-7.

#36 ilias, Oct 18, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2017
  17. Koperboy

Koperboy Member

18 pts, 6 reb and 5 ast in just 21 minutes!

The only thing I'm afraid of is he could bulk up too much in NBA and become too slow for a PG.

18. omgTHEpotential

It's generally accepted that your position is the one you can defend. So I don't think he can be a PG even now. I think his real position is a playmaking SG/SF. Perhaps next to a 3&D point guard, similar how Harden was a playmaking SG with Beverley here.

Normalus likes this.
  19. omgTHEpotential

It feels like Doncic is on a mission to win the Euroleague MVP award this year. Another stellar game with a whopping performance index rating of 41.

27:25 minutes, 27 points (7/14 FG, 2/5 3PT, 11/12 FT), 8 rebounds, 5 assists, 3 steals and 10 drawn fouls.

20. Normalus

Normalus Member

Just 1 turnover. His brother Radoncic didn't do well tho :rolleyes:

omgTHEpotential likes this.