1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Long distance relationships

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by LouisHTown, Sep 12, 2019.

1. LouisHTown

LouisHTown Member

I never believed in long distance relationships. However, I just met a woman in a friends wedding this past week who I would consider this with. She has it all, the looks, the brains, the career, the stability. Only thing is that she lives in Florida, and I do not think she wants to come to Texas. Anyone still making long distance relationships work? If so, how? WhArs the game plan?

2. Jontro

Jontro Member

everyone always say ldr never work, until they meet "the one" that lives on the other side of the globe.

still won't work breh. but those steamy face time sesh are great.

#2 Jontro, Sep 12, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2019
    jboslett, FranchiseBlade and Sajan like this.
  3. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Adios LouisHTown.

Warmly welcome, LouisFlorida

Or, in the spirit of political debate night, perhaps you guys could compromise and move to Mississippi.

Sajan, B-Bob and jcf like this.
  4. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Someone has to blink. The other better have a gameplan to make the blinker fit into the new town.

There's a lot to figure out that people normally ignore or think is too hard to discuss.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  5. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Just me but if you’re interested and she’s interested, start talking on the phone, a lot. Sounds like you barely know one another. A little bit soon to be thinking relationship, but here’s how it works:

1. Start chatting on the phone
    2. Start visiting each other
    3. One of you has to make the leap and move

Inevitably #3 has to happen. Can’t just be talking and taking trips to visit one another forever.

gatsby and Deckard like this.
  6. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

This song holds the answers you seek OP.

Sajan likes this.
  7. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

Definitely keep the lines open and go see her soon while its still fresh and new. Dont book something for nov or oct I would be flying there soon. Dont creep but put yourself in the position soon.

Then have fun. Enjoy her for the weekend because ultimately thats what its about. You could end up hating her.

Be warned visiting and once in a while keeps enough spark going that when you do end up living together or together all the time it will be different too.

Its like moving in with anyone. They can be a good friend and living with them is something else. Doesnt make them bad or me bad its more what works.

Also el que quiere puede so just chill and enjoy my friend. It WILL happen if you will it and its meant to be....but stay thirsty my friend you are single. If another local gal grabs your eye and she reciprocates you might need to go to a strip club for a heat check since it sounds like you are on a roll.

biff17 likes this.
  8. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Worked for this guy. He had a girlfriend in Canada. No one we would know.

Seriously though, it’s definitely possible that it works out. @TheRealist137 is right. 1-3 have to happen. 3 is very important eventually. Some people also get very impatient or insecure if things are not happening fast enough. Guess it just depends on you two taking the steps to make something happen, among other things.

It’s possible, I know of a few people who have done it and it’s been very successful. B3EE8074-F882-4C64-95E7-482DFC35BC88.jpeg

Deckard and Blake like this.
  9. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

I`ve been doing it for a year and a half, I moved home to Houston Feb of last year and started dating her literally the last month I was in Omaha. She comes down about every 2-3 weeks, she wants to move here but I doubt she will, I will probably end up moving back by the end of the year. It can work, its hard but it can work.....Good luck OP

10. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

LDRs are good for occasional side action. Some women will be less than thrilled with the arrangement.

11. mogrod

mogrod Contributing Member

My wife and I met online and she lived in the Orlando area at the time (I lived in Sugar Land). I think both thought we would talk just for fun since we were so far apart but love happened. We Skyped and talked on the phone all the time... hours every night. It was tough at times, especially when her living arrangements changed and she didn't have internet for a couple of months (so it was strictly phone so we couldn't see each other), but we somehow made it work. I think it helped a lot that she flew here a couple of times and vice versa in order to see and touch each other in person. lol.

I never was a pessimist about the long distance thing though to begin with and, as you see, it can work. It just takes each person willing to make the time and effort to want to make it work. Got to find things to do together, even far apart like watching movies at the same time, playing games, etc.

I will say this, my wife was open to moving from the start so, if this girl you met has NO intentions to ever move, then you might just not waste your time. Easier to "let one go" rather than fall head over your heels and then get broken when it fails later on because you can't be together.

Good luck!!!

mikol13 and Yung-T like this.
  12. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

She doesn't want to move out of Florida...huge red flag.

Yung-T, Nook, JuanValdez and 4 others like this.
  13. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

It doesn't work long term especially if you are young, but it can work short term if one of you is willing to move if you get married.

I would personally live in a **** hole with my wife than paradise without her. Family is the reason I still live in Texas. If it weren't I would moved to the mountains a long time ago.

LosPollosHermanos likes this.
  14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Self control, nah, not going to work for most of us.

15. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

happened with me last year, but heres the trick. Like you said LDR is hard, when I found someone worth doing it for (perfect 10, amazing personality, super soaker, someone you can take home) its hard to convince them for it too. Usually I felt like the decision was always in my hands. Still think about her, moving sucks

LouisHTown likes this.
  16. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

You met her this past week and you're already considering a long distance relationship? Does she know this?

17. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

[​IMG]

And he's already got another one going in Austin...for Ex-GF Fun

Still no pictures for either @AroundTheWorld

#17 heypartner, Sep 13, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2019
  18. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Need pics of both to be able to advise.

19. PhiSlammaJamma

the ideal mate would be to date a CIA Agent, who goes on walk about for years, and then returns every once in a while. You get your space, but live at home. She gets her space. And everyone lives happily ever after. Think when your married it's actually healthy to get distance so long as your partner doesn't get jealous. For some it's ideal. But a lot of people are clingy for no apparent benefit whatsoever.

20. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

What could possibly go wrong?

CometsWin and FranchiseBlade like this.