1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[LoL] Elsewhere in the LoL esports scene

Discussion in 'Clutch Gaming and eSports' started by GIGO, Apr 2, 2018.

1. GIGO

GIGO Member

2. GIGO

GIGO Member

Read a nice interview with CoreJJ here.

3. GIGO

GIGO Member

4. GIGO

GIGO Member

Sources: Caps to join G2 Esports, shifting PerkZ to AD carry

ESPN
    Nov. 20, 2018

G2 Esports will add former Fnatic mid laner Rasmus "Caps" Winther and move its mid laner, Luka "PerkZ" Perković, to the AD carry position ahead of the 2019 season, sources close to the players and team told ESPN.

G2 Esports is also exploring its options to revitalize its bottom lane. The team has taken an interest in Misfits support Mihael "Mikyx" Mehle. Caps' and Mikyx's contracts expired Monday.

G2 Esports has not yet responded to a request for comment.

The move will unite two of the best mid lane talents in Europe on a single team. Both Caps, 19, and PerkZ, 20, have had breakout performances during the past three years, ushering in a new breed of young talent in a position known for its veteran players.

Both G2 Esports and Fnatic finished within the top four of the 2018 League of Legends World Championship in October and November. G2 upset Chinese favorite Royal Never Give Up in the quarterfinals prior to falling to eventual champion Invictus Gaming in the semifinals. Fnatic had its second-best finish in organizational history, taking second overall in a finals loss to Invictus.

The agreement to add Caps comes just hours after free agency opened on Monday evening. Other teams, both in Europe and North America, took a particular interest in the Danish mid laner.​

-------------------------------
    FYI:
    OP.GG (Nov. 20, 2018)
    G2 Perkz
    < Preferred Position >
    ADC 82% Win Ratio 33%
    Middle 18% Win Ratio 100%

5. GIGO

GIGO Member

6. GIGO

GIGO Member

GOOD ENOUGH

BY NICOLAJ JENSEN
    Team Liquid
    November 20 2018

[…]​

All that scratching left a mark. I’m not really sad about the loss. Not anymore. Now I’m just hungry, because I realized that winning Worlds is attainable. Knowing that makes me want it more. I asked myself, “What should I do now? Will we have a chance in the future? Or should I try something different?”

I wanted to change and some issues within the team I wanted to remedy. I have to admit that, in a way, it was a bit unreasonable of me to make those demands, since Cloud 9 was undergoing a cultural shift that I didn’t entirely believe in. All these things had been on my mind since we lost in the Summer Split finals. I have never won an NA LCS title, and that loss affected me more than I expected. I can’t even remember how many finals I’ve been to at this point, but it’s been too many without winning. I felt like I was stagnating, running in place. Even though we achieved an historic feat at Worlds, it only solidified Cloud 9’s decision to head in a direction that didn’t agree with mine. It just made sense for me to look elsewhere and the solution became obvious: for me to really thrive, I needed a change in environment.

When I informed Jack of my desire to move, he received me with full support. Since I was still under contract he had no obligation to help me, but I think it was clear that a change would be beneficial for everyone involved. Team Liquid was the first — and only — team that he reached out to, knowing that this move would make the most sense for me and for Cloud 9. We’ve all seen how trading to a rival can be complicated, but Jack gave his blessing and things went smoothly.

From there everything happened so fast. Jack made the call and told me that Team Liquid was interested, and that my contract could be transferred immediately. I was a bit surprised and couldn’t stop myself from blurting out, “Wait wait wait hold up. I need to talk to someone first before I commit!” That’s when Jack brought Steve into the call. We talked a little bit about each other, about Team Liquid as a whole, about the organization, and about what the team stands for. Once we came to an agreement, the deal was done. Just like that.

[…]​

7. GIGO

GIGO Member

Sources: 100 Thieves expected to sign Bang to complete roster

ESPN
    Nov. 21, 2018
    Jacob Wolf

North American League of Legends team 100 Thieves are expected to sign two-time world champion Bae "Bang" Jun-sik ahead of the 2019 season, sources close to the team and player told ESPN.

Bang will join a roster that includes two other Korean speakers, top laner Kim "Ssumday" Chan-ho and mid laner Choi "Huhi" Jae-hyun. 100 Thieves signed Ssumday to a two-year contract extension on Tuesday and facilitated a transfer for Huhi with Counter Logic Gaming on Wednesday.

Bang will replace Cody Sun and Samuel "Rikara" Oh, who are both contracted with 100 Thieves through the conclusion of the 2019 season. Several North American teams have taken interest in Sun, particularly OpTic Gaming, according to sources close to that team.

Bang's contract with SK Telecom T1 expired on Monday. During his five-year duration with SKT, he won back-to-back League of Legends World Championships alongside star mid laner Lee "Faker" Sang-hyeok. SK Telecom T1 announced they would rebuild around Faker for the 2019 season.

Meanwhile, Huhi's transfer from Counter Logic Gaming comes after a long tenure, including multiple top-4 finishes in the North American League Championship Series.

Huhi was a vital player for 100 Thieves as they look to build a new team, particularly due to his residency status in North America. Although originally from South Korea, Huhi obtained his green card in July. As a result, he was granted immediate residency by Riot Games per their interregional movement policy.

This will allow 100 Thieves to use two import slots for Ssumday and Bang. The team is expected to keep jungler Andy "AnDa" Hoang and support Zaqueri "Aphromoo" Black, as they become the second North American team to finalize their 2019 roster.

[...]​

8. GIGO

GIGO Member

More news on the thieves

9. GIGO

GIGO Member

Hmm...teresting

OP.GG (Nov. 22, 2018)
    G2 Perkz
    < Preferred Position >
    ADC 100% Win Ratio 89%

10. GIGO

GIGO Member

Misfits 2019 Spring Lineup
    • sOAZ (Paul Boyer)
    • Maxlore (Nubar Sarafia)
    • Febiven (Fabian Diepstraten)
    • Hans Sama (Steven Liv)
    • GorillA (Kang Beom-hyeon)

ESPN (Jacob Wolf)
    Nov. 23, 2018

Misfits has signed former Kingzone DragonX support Kang "GorillA" Beom-hyeon to an one-year deal, rounding out their 2019 roster, a team source told ESPN. GorillA joins a lineup that has been rebuilt around jungler Nubar "Maxlore" Sarafian and AD carry Steven "Hans Sama" Liv. On Tuesday, Misfits finalized a transfer with Clutch Gaming for mid laner Fabian "Febiven" Diepstraten, and on Thursday, the team signed top laner Paul "sOAZ" Boyer.​

11. GIGO

GIGO Member

12. GIGO

GIGO Member

Former Gen.G mid laner Crown joins OpTic
    ESPN
    Nov. 26, 2018
    Leo Howell

Former Gen.G mid laner Lee "Crown" Min-ho has signed with OpTic Gaming of the North American League of Legends Championship Series, the organization announced on Sunday.

Crown joins an OpTic roster that just lost Tristan "PowerOfEvil" Schrage, who signed with Counter Logic Gaming following the completion of his contract. Crown also joins a starting lineup likely to feature top laner Niship "Dhokla" Doshi and support Terry "Big" Chuong, who remain under contract with the team through the end of 2019. Matthew "Akaadian" Higginbotham and Dong "Arrow" Hyeon-Noh are out of contract, leaving OpTic in need of two more members to complete its starting lineup.

Crown was Gen.G's starting mid laner at the 2018 League of Legends World Championship, registering the highest kill participation among mid laners at the event. However, he served in a backup role for most of the League Champions Korea summer split to Song "Fly" Yong-jun, playing in only three games and sitting out both summer playoff matches. He regained his starting role for the regional qualifiers and kept the starting spot into worlds. Gen.G was eliminated during the group stage of the competition, finishing fourth in Group B.

The South Korean mid won the 2017 world championship with the organization then known as Samsung Galaxy, completing a 3-0 sweep of SK Telecom T1 to lift the trophy at the Bird's Nest in Beijing.

13. GIGO

GIGO Member

[Official] Mata signs with SK Telecom T1 Along With Coach Kim Sang-cheol

INVEN Global
    Nov 26, 2018

On the 26th of November (KST), SK Telecom T1 announced that they have signed Cho “Mata” Se-hyeong and coach Kim Sang-cheol. Coach Kim had been the coach of various teams including Jin Air Green Wings and also had coached Mata in Royal Never Give Up.

Signing Mata was like SKT’s last puzzle piece for 2019. Kim “Khan” Dong-ha, Lee “Faker” Sang-hyeok, and Park “Teddy” Jin-seong are known as players that have strong characteristics within the team. SKT needed a player that can control these other players and SKT decided to sign Mata to carry out that role.

Mata is a legendary support player that has won Worlds, became the first support player to win Worlds MVP, and had two LCK championships. He returned to the LCK in 2016 and played for kt Rolster, proving himself as one of the strongest support players in the world.

SKT didn’t consider many candidates for their support position. Lee “IgNar” Dong-geun and Park “TusiN” Jong-ik were mentioned from time to time, but they didn’t contact anyone but Mata. Although Mata received calls from many different teams in EU, LPL, and LCK, he settled in SKT.

Over the years, Mata had always been in one of the rival teams of SKT like MVP White (Samsung White), RNG, and kt Rolster. Yesterday the enemy, now today’s ally; many fans are watching with keen interest what change and what synergy Mata can bring to the team.

14. GIGO

GIGO Member

NETFLIX
    Dec. 21, 2019

Travis Gafford Review

15. GIGO

GIGO Member

Not exactly about LoL competitions but since this 2160p 4k video is trending at the moment...

Jhin, Draven, Irelia, Camille, Riven, Sion, Karma, Akali, Yasuo, & Kennen

16. GIGO

GIGO Member

A cool interview with Pobelter about his free agency process last year,
    featuring D Morey @1:42-7:36

17. GIGO

GIGO Member

SK Telecom, Comcast Spectacor partner for esports venture

ESPN
    Miles Yim
    02/25/2019

Comcast Spectacor and SK Telecom will announce the formation of a joint esports venture Monday at the Mobile World Congress held in Barcelona, Spain, the organizations told ESPN.

The new global entity, T1 Entertainment & Sports, will adopt the formidable branding of the South Korean telecom giant's League of Legends team, three-time World Champion SK Telecom T1. T1 Entertainment & Sports operations will be operated out of Philadelphia, Seoul and Los Angeles.

Comcast Spectacor, a Philadelphia-based subsidiary of the Comcast Corporation, owns the Overwatch League's Philadelphia Fusion, who reached the inaugural OWL grand finals at the Barclays Center last July. The Fusion will retain their branding and operate outside the T1 umbrella.

In addition to its existing presence in Overwatch, League of Legends, PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds and Hearthstone, T1 plans to field competitors in Fortnite, Apex Legends and Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, according to the organization. Company sources point to impressive viewership and engagement numbers for battle royale titles like Fortnite and Apex Legends -- the latter of which gained 25 million players in its first week of release -- as reasons for their inclusion. The decision to focus on Super Smash Bros. Ultimate rather than Melee was made along similar lines.

Plans for a partnership between the two telecommunications company have been in the works since October 2018, when representatives from Comcast Spectacor met with their counterparts from SK Telecom in Busan, South Korea, for the League of Legends World Championship.

Comcast Spectacor had long admired the prestige of the SK Telecom T1 brand and viewed South Korea favorably as the birthplace of modern esports. Additionally, owning an OWL franchise with stars like DPS Lee "Carpe" Jae-hyeok, tank Kim "SADO" Su-min and Choi "HOTBA" Hong-Jun (now of the Guangzhou Charge) introduced South Korean staples like Korean barbeque, K-pop, and Korean dramas to Western ownership.

The newfound familiarity helped bridge the cultural gap when finding a South Korean business partner, according to company sources.

SK Telecom, meanwhile, was looking to expand its presence outside of South Korea, where it is the country's largest mobile operator. According to a recent industry report from Newzoo, North America is expected maintain its status as the world's largest esports market, with anticipated esports revenues in excess of $400 million in 2019. Comcast Spectacor had similar ambitions for expansion, eager to increase their esports footprint to rival marquee organizations like Team Liquid and Cloud9. Together as T1, the two companies can now access international markets they otherwise would have had difficulty capturing apart.

But aside from market access, Comcast Spectacor found in SK Telecom a kindred spirit with regards to its esports philosophy. Companies sources say the two organizations recognize esports' importance among young people, how it resonates with them and what type of content they consume around the games. While concrete strategies are still being formulated, there's a sense that the kind of content T1 wants to pursue cannot be done within the confines of traditional sports.

With esports, there's a chance to break new ground.

The union with SK Telecom further underlines Comcast Specator's increasing investment in the developing esports ecosystem. Owners of the NHL's Philadelphia Flyers and landlords to the NBA's Philadelphia 76ers at Wells Fargo Center, Comcast Spectacor is excited by the reach and growth potential of esports.

According to company sources, Comcast Spectacor sees competitive gaming as a vehicle to build an international brand on the level of European football clubs like Manchester United. Even casual esports fans know about SK Telecom T1 mid laner Lee "Faker" Sang-hyeok; what if that global notoriety extended to his team and into the mainstream consciousness?

That's the dream, and with the amount of pooled resources backing T1, it could become reality.​

18. GIGO

GIGO Member

When this article came out last year, I thought the teams Comcast was interested in would be some of the up-and-coming power house teams like Griffin or Damwon with younger talents and didn't think it would be THE biggest fish like SKT T1. In hindsight, SKT certainly had all the reasons to spend a ton of money on free agents for their new roster.

[​IMG]

Edited to add the tweet and the pic

#58 GIGO, Feb 25, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2019
  19. GIGO

GIGO Member

LCS 2019 Spring Split Results

1 (14-4) Team Liquid
    2 (14-4) Cloud9
    3 (13-5) Team SoloMid
    4 (9-9) FlyQuest
    5 (9-9) Golden Guardians
    6 (8-10) Echo Fox
    7 (7-11) Counter Logic Gaming
    7 (7-11) OpTic Gaming
    9 (5-13) Clutch Gaming
    10 (4-14) 100 Thieves

#59 GIGO, Mar 28, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2019
  20. GIGO

GIGO Member

LCS 2019 SPRING PLAYOFFS
    3/30/19 - 4/13/19

Participating Teams (Spring Split Top 6)
    • Team Liquid (TL)
    • Cloud9 (C9)
    • TSM
    • FlyQuest (FLY)
    • Golden Guardians (GGS)
    • Echo Fox (FOX)