1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

LOL at DJ being over the hill

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by basketballholic, Oct 29, 2018.

1. basketballholic

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

hakeem94 and omgTHEpotential like this.
  2. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Flat out, DJ man handled Capela and the Rockets. The same way Adams man handles Capela the Rockets.

3. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

DJ plays on a crap team and the Rockets are a crap team. It's like bragging on being the world's tallest midget. Who cares? Neither squad is going to win anything.

hakeem94 likes this.
  4. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Ok. But DJ still out worked Capela. That doesn't change. And that is an issue if you are the Rockets.

5. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

It's not an issue. At least, it's not an issue worth exploring. We have hundreds of issues that are higher priority than Capela not being better than DAJ.

6. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Well one of the highest priority issues is rebounding and Capela is a big part of that. That said, part of the issue could be scheme and that might have to be reviewed.

7. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

DJ is posting career worst metric and the Mavs are 11 points/100 better when he sits.

Just FYI.

hakeem94 likes this.
  8. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Agree with all that.

Do you know if there is available data showing something like "% of rebounds earned when 5 feet from the rebound opportunity" or something like that? I know teams have this info but didn't know if it was out there for the (non-paying) public to see.

9. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I don't know. Sorry. But I posted a thread about "rebounding" in the Rockets forum. Hopefully some people will chime in with info

10. basketballholic

Rebound??????
    Ha!
    What's that?

11. icewill36

icewill36 Member

that probably has more to do with DSJ not being able to run the offense than DJ. when JJ barea is in is when they really get things moving....this happens to be when DJ is out most of the time.

bulkatron likes this.
  12. icewill36

icewill36 Member

that probably has more to do with DSJ not being able to run the offense than DJ. when JJ barea is in is when they really get things moving....this happens to be when DJ is out most of the time.

13. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

@basketballholic why don't you shed some light on this?

14. basketballholic

My impression watching Dallas play is that Dennis Smith DOES NOT fit with Doncic,.....at least right now. And in my opinion, based on watching Smith now for a while dating back to before Doncic, I don't think they'll ever fit together. Smith doesn't have the mental makeup to.

Both guys need to have the basketball to play their best. Smith is terrible off-the-ball. Doncic isn't. Doncic can share. Smith can't. And Luka's iq is off the charts. Smith, while a great athlete with some very good to great basketball skills isn't good enough to be the #1 option and he's not humble enough to accept a secondary role and work on the skills necessary to fit.

Even though Smith is just in his second season.....if I were Dallas I'd try to trade him.....to Phoenix right now for their first round pick....or to whichever team gives me the best first round pick.

Dallas plays their best, and it's not even close, when Luka leads the show and the 4 guys around him are working off his game. It's beyond obvious.

This is the biggest factor weighing on DJ's (and Luka's) +/-. If you benched DJ and started Powell, the +/- would reverse.

By the way, nobody should take this thread as my endorsement that DJ is great. I don't think he's great. I think in today's NBA he's simply another big. Just like I think Capela is another big. If you can't shoot the 3 and defend smalls effectively while banging in the post and rebounding then in today's NBA you're just another big man. And in that class of just another big, DJ is bigger, stronger, and longer than Clint.

I'm simply pointing out and will continue to point out that Capela is not a determining factor in whether we win or not. I'm pointing out he can be replaced rather easily. And when, not if, we trade him, we'll be better because we're going to get players that by the nature of their position and skills flexibility are more important to winning than he is.

#134 basketballholic, Dec 11, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2018
  15. King1

King1 Contributing Member

Yawn. Lol didn't read

16. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

On the Lowe Post podcast (talking Rockets) they said DJ had the best defensive rebounding% in the league. That stat the Rockets are woefully behind in. Just sayin

17. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Agree that Smith doesn't fit with Donic. In fact Brunson looks like a great fit right now. I agree, I would trade Smith.

18. basketballholic

Whiteside up there as well.

In any case.... with any of them.....they've all been exposed for what they are. They are paint anchors. None of them can switch effectively enough to be able to be on the court at crunch time against the Warriors. And none of them can shoot the 3, so it's a double whammy offensively going yo e against Draymond in PnR.

So in this case, if you had to pick one guy....You want you pick the best value and not have your cap tied up in any of them long term. DJ, Hassan, then Clint. And that's probably how they fall out as paint/rim protectors and pick and roll defenders as well. (Clint may be better in PnR defense than Hassan but DJ is the best defender of the three men in PnR and in rim protection.)

And both DJ and Hassan, because of their size, strength, and length advantages over Clint are superior defensive rebounders to Capela when they don't switch and simply anchor the paint.

19. basketballholic

You just wasted your time clicking in the thread and then fidding with your keyboard. Like a little kid with a .22 at the gun range for the first time.

20. King1

King1 Contributing Member

Yeah, ok. I could rather spend my time making up stuff on an internet message board to seek validation. I'll take my situation, little fella '