1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Let's talk Yuli Gurriel

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Major, Jul 13, 2019.

1. Major

Major Member

So a couple of weeks ago, I think almost everyone here was ready to salary dump him next year, and many of us were wondering about the possibilities of benching him this year for Diaz when healthy.

Then he has a conversation with Beltran, and goes on to hit 10 HRs in 13 games after having 39 in 382 previous career games. While not sustainable, it also doesn't seem likely to be some big coincidence. Even superstars rarely or never hit 10 HRs in that short a span. So all the theories about the hand injury sapping his power, him getting old, etc all have been thrown out the window. But this brings up a ton of questions:

1. Is the new & improved Yuli for real? Or some kind of truly extreme fluke?
    2. Was it really just a matter of a slight adjustment in his stance?
    3. If Beltran can see this in an opposing player, why didn't the Astros see this?
    4. Is Beltran that much of a genius? I believe Altuve, Correa and Springer all credited him for helping them in 2017. If so, why doesn't he have an elite job with an elite salary somewhere instead of a murky "special advisor" role?
    5. If Yuli is a functional 0.800-0.850ish OPS hitter the rest of the way, is he on the team next year?
    5. Who will end up with more HRs? Yuli or Yordan?

Summary: What the hell just happened to Yuli?

KelvinCato13, Tomstro and Marteen like this.
  2. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

1. I doubt he can sustain what he’s done the last few weeks, but he’s probably corrected something that will allow him to hit better than he was.
    2. That and aging are probably the main reasons for his decline. So I think he’s fixed what he can fix.
    3. The Astros aren’t all-knowing.
    4. Beltran knows a lot about hitting. I suspect he’s doing the job he wants to be doing. He doesn’t need money.
    5. I think Yuli is on the team next year regardless. The question is whether they like him as an everyday 1B or if he is better as a bench bat.
    6. Yordan.

3. punkoholic

punkoholic Member

Apparently it wasn't adjusting his stance. Gurriel was looking at the ball with just 1 eye. Beltran told him to look at the ball with both eyes.

They should ask White if he's looking at balls with both eyes or just 1. Would be funny if he said 1. Gets told to use both eyes and he goes on a tear.

Would also be funny if the Astros and Yankees meet in the ALCS and Gurriel wins Mvp. Yankees would be like damn it Beltran. Why did you give him some advice!

4. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I think Yuli is Yuli. An slight above average hitter at a position that typical has an above average hitter. For his salary, I'd rather have Diaz play 1B and get a relief pitcher next season.

5. theimpossibles1

Yuli > Lordes

HTown2017Champs likes this.
  6. HTown2017Champs

Love that song. Also,

Yuli Rings: 1
    Lourdes Rings: 0

theimpossibles1 likes this.
  7. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

8. Major

Major Member

10 of the HRs and 20 of the RBIs are since June 23. June 9-22 only had 1 HR and 4 RBIs.

9. mikol13

Supporting Member

Yeah I’m not down on Yuli, though. I think this team has other needs that are more pressing.

Still, I can see him being moved because of what he costs. Just hope the Astros would have a solid replacement. Still feel like Yuli has a lot of value at the plate and in the field.

I too wonder why the Astros didn’t see that hole in Yuli’s swing. Head scratcher.

10. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

I'm wondering since the ball has been especially juiced this year if some players are modifying their swings to take advantage.

In 2018 the Yankees hired Beltran as a special adviser to Cashman. Is this still the case? I wouldn't be that happy about an employee giving the direct competition advice on hitting.

11. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

In the offseason thread I predicted Gurriel would hit around .280 with 20 HRs and 80-100 RBIs. I feel a lot better about that prediction after his hot streak.

raining threes likes this.
  12. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

His annual salary declines each year as his contract is front loaded

13. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Why is his contract still an issue? $10 mil is not an overwhelmingly expensive contract and doesn’t prevent the team from doing anything. Next year, it’s $8 million. That’s relatively inexpensive in this day and age.

14. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I agree that his contract is not expensive or even a bad deal. But because Houston is (probably) getting close to their max payroll, and they still have some holes (especially on next year’s pitching staff), fans look at every contract to see where room can be found to fill holes. If Yuli is a solid everyday 1B (posting a 800+ ops) then it doesn’t make sense to cut him loose, but if he is a declining league average bat, that $8.4M next season might be better used on a late inning reliever or BoR SP. The same goes for Reddick; his $13M salary is a good value considering his production, but because they have Tucker waiting in the wings and no available money, most of us would rather deploy that $13M toward next year’s pitching staff.

That said, for now I don’t see either of those guys going anywhere. They’re both productive players on reasonable deals and provide good clubhouse presence. I am hopeful Crane/Luhnow can dig down and find enough moolah or prospects to field another WS contender next season.

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  15. T for 3

T for 3 Member

I never gave up on Yuli. I don’t wan’t to “dump” him either.

16. mikol13

Supporting Member

I don’t think his contract is an issue. That said, if there was money that needed to be moved around or opened up in order to sign someone else, it may be Yuli and Reddick.

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  17. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Because the extensions to Altuve, Verlander, Pressly, and Bregman plus the arbitration raises for Osuna, Springer, Correa, Peacock, and Marisnick mean our payroll for luxury tax purposes is going to be nearly the same next year as it is this year and that is AFTER Cole, McHugh, Miley, Rondon, Harris, Chirinos, and Smith leave via free agency.

Unless Crane is willing to go into the luxury tax we are not going to have the depth we have now. We need 3/4 new bullpen arms, a couple starters, and a catcher. Sadly, almost all of our high level pitching prospects have been total duds this year.

Here's our pitching staff for next year as of right now...

Verlander
    McCullers (probably innings limited after TJ surgery)
    Peacock
    ?
    ?

Osuna
    Pressly
    Devenski
    James
    ?
    ?
    ?
    ?

18. AstrosRockets1818

Best night of my life

T for 3 and theimpossibles1 like this.
  19. PhiSlamma15

PhiSlamma15 Member

Astros should add Beltran to the coaching staff if he this good

tmoney1101 and CheezeyBoy22 like this.
  20. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

I think Marisnick is gone if Reddick stays. Ideal world for me they’d both be gone. I think straw can fill in for Jake at about 10% of the cost next year and might even be more valuable than Jake, and I say that as a Jake fan.

Best combination of money and production next year would be an OF of Brantley, Springer and Tucker, with Straw as the 4th OF and Yordan filling in at LF occasionally to spell Brantley when they want to get him on the field so that Brantley or Springer can have a “half day”

That OF would be somewhere between really good and ****ing amazing, and would cost about $40,000,000 all in, leaving us room to fill in the pitching staff with an arm or 6.

raining threes and Major like this.