1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Let's Talk Cars

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by DonnyMost, May 30, 2018.

1. Sajan

Sajan Member

What year?

2. Sajan

Sajan Member

Actually ...no.

The J.D. Power Vehicle Dependability Study (VDS)SM has been the industry leading source of car reliability ratings for over 25 years. VDS examines issues reported by original owners of 3-year-old vehicles to determine which are the most reliable cars.

3. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

4. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Yeah, it's the methodology that makes the two studies different -- whenever I see JD Powers I immediately think of initial quality because so many brands use it in their commercials to make it seem like their cars have won a prestigious award (Chevy is the worst).

5. Sajan

Sajan Member

[​IMG]

6. Sajan

Sajan Member

Ya they usually quote the initial quality study.
    [​IMG]

KingCheetah likes this.
  7. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

So is the Overall Reliability Verdict just a measure of the overall change from the previous year? Just looks odd because the individual sections seem to score well but the overall score looks bad.

8. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Not really. Not unless they qualify what "dependability" means. For example, JD Power's VDS is the reliability for 3 year old cars. So the 2018 study is evaluating 2015's models probably. Were those models new? Were they at the end of their lifecycle? This is why reliability tends to bounce around everywhere through the years. Well, except for Toyota/Lexus -- they seem to damn-near always be at the top. Lexus just has reliability down to a science or something. lol. I'm not sure how Consumer Reports does their study. Also, "problems per 100 vehicles" is what JD Power uses. What is a "problem"? A rattle? A blown transmission? Big difference. :D And when you look at the distribution of problems in the JD Power, from about position 3 to the Industry average, there isn't that much difference -- lot of clustering among those makes.

The best way I've found to judge reliabilty is to visit the forums of those makes and see what people are complaining about -- whether it's rattles or cars going up in flames.

9. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Like I said in the other post, you need to make sure you're looking at whatever year's Acadia the report is showing you. A 2018 report could be showing data for a 2015 or 2014 model.

10. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Not necessarily. It depends on the report you're looking at. The JD Power graphic that Sajan posted is for their VDS rating which is a 3 year report. The 90-day study you're talking about is their IQS (Initial quality survey).

11. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Yeah, I just saw JD Powers in the header and didn't read 'vehicle dependability study' right under it and assumed initial quality.

12. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

I feel ya. I just sold my 2012 Jaguar XJL Supercharged as I just couldn't take the hits any longer even though I paid close to $4000 for an extended warranty that covers everything except that parts that broke on my car, f'n ridiculous. I will not miss the $500 oil changes (their explanation, no drain plug, specialty for the service dept), I will not miss the sunroof motorized covers inside that broke down once a year and were not covered under warranty. To replace would be $2k a pop so I just gave up and let my scalp burn in the summer. A big HARD NO on ANY panoramic roof ever again. Mine shattered on the highway so they had to replace it. It took 6 weeks to get the entire roof from England, so I had to pay out of pocket for 2 weeks of a rental car and it cost over 6k to fix so my insurance went way up. I was also hit slightly on I--10 at the 45 exchange, just slight damage to the door. They had to order a new door- 12 weeks for it to arrive and they did a horrible job painting the door to match the rest of my car.

The last thing that happened was a rock hit my front light and broke the lense cover. Of course, they do not offer lense cover replacements, you have to purchase a new light. The headlight plus labor- 5k. I was done after that and sold the car to Texas Auto just to get rid of it.

THANK GOD I will NEVER have to deal with Momentum BMW Collision center again. That was the absolute WORST place I have ever dealt with. Terrible customer service, terrible work, attitudes from hell and just overall the worst collision center in Texas, just look at their Google ratings and rants. Drop it off and expect zero calls back and 6 weeks without a car.

IMO- The Jag is just very, very nice leather surrounded by a hunk of ****. Even the wood paneling inside cracked up near the windshield and of course the cost to fix was insane. I ended up buying a Mercedes CLS550 V8 twin turbo as my X-Wife bought hers in January 2012 after she ordered it in May of 2011 and had zero issues except for many ruined tired thanks to the **** roads in the inner loop. The car never had one problem and was PLENTY fast. Plus, I do not feel like I'm driving a large boat any longer. I am much more happy having a four door "coupe" that isn't British made.

RIP- Do not miss and the stress level is now down.

[​IMG]

Bandwagoner likes this.
  13. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Need more on that story. Sounds insane.

Even though the roads are better inner loop now they are still shite. Big risk to have a daily driver around here with anything less than a 45 series tire. Just asking for bent rims. It's the only reason I swapped my sport bike for a ADV. I needed the suspension travel for crap roads.

14. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

I was surprised to see Porchse so high. Good to know.

15. Sajan

Sajan Member

Porsches are reliable cars.
    Key is to do the maintenance (not particular "cheap" by any means) on time at a reputable mechanic. Oil change yearly is ~250-300 at a mechanic and 500 at the dealer. Front and rear brake job with rotors is ~1500+, spark plugs every 40,000 miles..etc.

But when things go wrong, it can cost a little bit more than your Toyotas and Chevys.

I bought '14 911 with 20K miles. 1 owner lease car. Other than the scheduled maintenance, I had to take it in because the radio started shutting it down out of nowhere (they replaced it under warranty). The front parking sensor wasn't being recognized by the car..they just programmed that again. I have put 20K more miles on it. Pure joy to drive.

I had a Cayman before that and I also didn't have any major issues. There was a oil leak that they fixed under CPO warranty.

I also just bought a '87 Carrera. Love this thing. Only 45,000 miles on it haha.

sammy likes this.
  16. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

What's best these days for comparing auto insurance rates?

17. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Go through an agent. I used Rockland Insurance as mine.

https://www.gorockland.com

arkoe likes this.
  18. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

Thanks LonghornFan. If that's the route I go I may just call Bill Advisor and let them deal with my UVerse bill as well.

19. marky :)

marky :) Member

Anyone buy a Subaru Ascent yet or know anyone that has one? Looking for a 3 row SUV and it looks promising. Usually wary of 1st gen vehicles but this is a Subaru so it might be the exception.

20. Roscoe Arbuckle

I had Moses Malones' 1980 928 back in 1990. It was an absolute money pit. Payed 12k for it, put an extra 16k over the next 4 years, and got rid of it for 9k. Good to know their reliability has gotten better, but I'm not sure I would ever feel confident buying another one after that experience.