1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Let's Make A Deal (not a trade scenario thread)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by crash5179, Aug 19, 2013.

?

Would You Rather Go Forward With The 2007 Celtiics or 2013 Rockets

1. 2007 Celtics

34.9%
  2. 2013 Rockets

65.1%
  1. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

How many people on this board remember Monte Hall? He was the host of the game show Lets Make A Deal. His bit was to give contestants a chance at a sure thing (1000 dollars in hand) or a chance to pick an unknown prize behind curtains 1, 2 or 3. The contestants could take the money and walk away or select what is behind one of the curtains. Behind the curtains could be a new car, a vacation to Hawaii or a heaping pile of warm cow dung.

So here is your choice... Would you rather go forward with the 2007 Boston Celtics (knowing that you get 1 NBA championship and a few years as the best team in the east). Or would tou rather move forward with the 2013 Houston Rockets?

Nothing with the Rockets is garunteed, they could be the new version of the Miami Heat or the last years version of the LA Lakers. The Rockets are young enough to be a dynasty fo a decade or longer. But nothing is garunteed. They might not win a single championship.

With the Celtics you get a very old team that you know gives you a championship but you also know it is going to be very short lived. But it's still a sure thing.

So, as a fan, would you rather have the 1000 dollars in your hand? Or have what's behind curtain number 2?

I'll take curtain number 2 personally but I'm a homer. But then again taking the 1000 bucks is never a bad thing.

#1 crash5179, Aug 19, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2013
  2. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

I voted Celtics. One bird in the hand is better than 2 in the bush.

3. thething

thething Contributing Member

I'd do anything for a championship. I picked Celtics.

4. TheMystery008

TheMystery008 Member

Would I pick the real thing or should I go with someone else success.

As a Rocket fan, I'll go with the Rockets.

Win or lose ill be a Rocket.

So why should I go with someone's faith when I have my own team's faith.

As of right now there are a lot of unknowns.

But as a fan of the team, I'll take my chance because that's part of the game.

5. jank1434

jank1434 Contributing Member

I would take the sure championship.

And you have to think of it through the odds of if this Rockets team moving forward can win 2 championships within the next 7-10 years. Honestly, I don't see it happening since the odds are not too good. Having to run through the next few years of Lebron's prime and the next decade of dominance from Durant. I would take Boston's sure-fire championship without a doubt.

#5 jank1434, Aug 19, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2013
  6. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Id take a for sure championship and a finals run over "potential"

7. cjtaylorpt

cjtaylorpt Member

Anything?

>>

<<

8. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Didn't you hear? Larry Bird is not walking thru that door. And I'm not taking the C's.

I roll with the Rox when they're rocking and when they're getting rolled. Unless and until moreMoreymagic forthcomes in February I am 'merely' hoping to keep on playing this season. Next year I expect a Parade!

9. crash5179

I can't fault you, but the lure of something better is strong :grin:

10. crash5179

You can never be faulted for this reasoning. I'm just a hopeless dreamer.

11. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

The Rockets should trade Asik +'picks for Lamarcus and we'll be better than Celtics

12. Alvin Choo

Alvin Choo Member

I take the 1 championship and multiple conference finals. Current rox shows potential of multiple conference finals, and sadly thats the limit currently.

13. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

Sure thing over potential.

If we get 1 championship out of this team, it'll be a major success.

So I'll take the sure 'chip.

14. rocketsfan4

rocketsfan4 Member

You've got to take the one championship, because with today's salary cap, not to mention injuries, you just never know how long you can keep your core. The Rockets look great now, but lots can change in just one or two years.

On the other hand, if you tell me that I get to keep Howard, Asik, Harden, Lin, Parsons through the remainder of their careers all as Rockets, then I would take the Rockets. That's how much I believe in their potential.

15. RedDynasty

RedDynasty Member

Celtics. I WANT A CHAMPIONSHIP

16. CDrex

CDrex Contributing Member

Being a Rockets fan should have nothing to do with this answer. It's purely a theoretical exercise, known result A against expected value B. I'll take two finals trips and a ring over a 4 to 7 year window as contenders in a league with prime Lebron and prime Durant standing in the way.

17. CantBeRight

CantBeRight Member

Hands down celtics. And this is not even my homerism kicking in yet.

18. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Nothing is guaranteed as is. Must go with the Chip. It's been far too long without one.

19. roslolian

roslolian Member

IMHO people talk about a championship like it's all they ever wanted, but once they do get it they immediately forget about it.

Take for example Dallas, that team won a ring 3 years ago, Cuban should've been happy with his GM crew who gave him years and years of post season success+ a ring. What does he do? He blows up the core, whines when he whiffs on DH and then replaces his GM with someone from the Rox brass. Or what about the Lakers, you got so many LA fans tearing their hair out but LA just gave them 2 rings 4 years ago.

So long story short, I don't like the Celtics team will give you exactly 1 ring and 4 or so years of relevance before needing to be blown up. I'd prefer the current Rox, sure nothing's guaranteed, but with DH only 26, Parsons 24 and Harden only 23 the future's really bright. In harden's case, he can play for 10 years and then he'd be Garnett's age when the Celts formed, so yeah. Even if the Rox don't end up winning a ring, the 10 or so years of WCF trips are worth it, and honestly if you get 10 or more years as a serious contender you're probably gonna win a couple of times.

20. roslolian

roslolian Member

LOL maybe you forgot, but the 2nd best player in the league isn't KD, it's DH. KD barely beat the Rox in a 7 game series with Ibaka and Perkins, DH took Jameer Nelson, Rashard Lewis and Turkuglu all the way to the Finals.