1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Let's calm down a bit. Best backcourt in the NBA belongs to your Houston Rockets!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Tha_Dude, Sep 23, 2017.

1. Tha_Dude

Tha_Dude Contributing Member

It's amazing how little people appreciate what they have. Many Rockets fans on this site are O.G and we like to set high examples for ourselves and that often leads to false projections, like we think we're elite even though we're just another team in the association. A sense of entitlement persists here which is troubling, as though we're the only hot chick in class that could get it any time, from anyone. My years have taught me that we're not really better or worse than anyone else, just the same people with the same expectations, same faults, same features. Stuff like that causes me to think....

Rockets have the best backcourt in the NBA now, we should focus on that and put the Melo drama behind us. For many here it's Melo or bust. Well, we we didn't bust on Melo but simply opted out on that one for sure, but there is still more to come on the next episode of the Rocket. We can live and eat real food even, maybe a full meal, if we try. I don't think anyone here is going hungry, but if so that sucks and PM me.

I think this will be the best Rockets team we've seen since the Hakeem days. We have more depth than any other team in the league now. We have two wizards in our backcourt and we should at the very least acknowledge the fact that this is a dream team for MDA, the "point guard" whisperer but not to be compared with BOB. We have tools in the chest now where he may be able to expand rotations and try things that we've never seen before. Seems very exciting to me and I think our backcourt is something we should cherish and celebrate, a real offseason could not have gone any better for us 99% of the time.

Keep your heads up, Clutchfans. Appreciate what we have and don't worry about the rest. Dude loves you.

2. RockWest

RockWest Contributing Member

I'm not even upset the deal didn't work out. I think Knicks really got raped by OKC. Anderson makes 1M more than Kanter, but he is a starter and can stay on the court. Kanter managed 9M per game against us because his defense was that awful. It's funny some Knicks fans were kind of celebrating.
    I'm looking forward to seeing out current guys play. I hope Anderson doesn't get traded as a panic move.

Tfor3 likes this.
  3. Tha_Dude

Morey has to play the long game. I wished we never poison pilled them to get Lin, might have changed this transacation a bit imo. Then again, im an idiot.

4. RockWest

I think it has nothing to do with Lin though. We just don't have any more assets he's willing to part ways after the CP3 trade.

5. Tha_Dude

Knicks sold away Melo on the cheap, they just didn't want to send him to the Rockets.

6. RockWest

3 years of 20M is hard for a team wanting to clear house and rebuild. I just found out Kanter only has 1 year guaranteed.

7. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

So True. With :

Harden/CP3/Gordon make up one of the best backcourts, if not the best backcourts in the league.

Ariza/PJ Tucker/Luc Mhab a Moute make up one of the best Small Forward/Small Ball Power F's groups.

*Ryan Anderson remains the prototypical Stretch 4. His shooting range of 25-30 ft allows CP3/Harden to operate.
    Luc MaM can play defense down the stretch. Cam Oliver has a chance to get some PF minutes when
    muscle is needed (small minutes).

Capela/Nene/Black make up a 3-headed PnR beast at Center that can rebound and block shots. C position is set.

*by prototypical I mean google Stretch-4 and you probably get a link to Ryan Anderson still. Because stretch-4's
    tend to hang out near the perimeter; they tend not to have high rebound numbers.

There is still a chance Houston makes a trade during the season for a disgruntled PF not named Melo.
    Yes Ryan Anderson shot a poor 3P% at home and good on the road last year; but 2 years ago that was
    reversed (Ryan shot a good 3P% from Home and the worst 3P% on the road). Can Ryan meet a happy
    median this year?

#7 ApacheWarrior, Sep 23, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2017
  8. photojoe

photojoe Member

Besides the best backcourt in the NBA, we also built a team with legitimate depth.

Melo would have been an exciting upgrade over Anderson.

But it absolutely was not worth sacrificing that depth for him.

Excited with what we have. Can't wait for the season to start. Can't wait to see what moves might be available at or around the deadline.

Go Rockets.

9. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

All I want now . . . . I really would like us to get D.WADE

Paul/Wade/Gordon/Harden

You be great to me

Rocket River

DonKnock likes this.
  10. Tha_Dude

Melo caved. He could have held out longer but didn't want to risk negative rep from his home city, which is understandable. If he had taken a harder stance I think the Knicks would have made the trade with us.

At the same time, I was never a big fan of acquiring him to begin with so this is sort of a happy day for me in a weird sort of way.

Rocket River likes this.
  11. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Funny thing . . . . If they would have been mad about the flotsam he would have gotten from Houston
    How can they be happy with what they got

Rocket River

12. oogie boogie

oogie boogie Member

Random. and probably doesn't belong in this thread, but today was a great example why Rockets fans are terrible. Most NBA fans are awful, but when something doesn't go our way some of you guys just turn into giant babies. Dudes are out here wanting to fire Morey.

Weirdos.

Also

Chris Paul // James Harden
    James Harden // Eric Gordon
    Trevor Ariza // PJ Tucker
    Ryan Anderson // Luc Mbah A Moute
    Clint Capella // Nene

is still a very solid 9 player rotation with few weaknesses. We'll be alright.

CCity Zero and Tha_Dude like this.
  13. Tha_Dude

You're the man. Just see my sig for details.

CCity Zero and oogie boogie like this.
  14. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

Smartest 1-2 punch in the league as well

We fell inlove with melo becuase at the beginning he only opened up his ntc making us believe playing with cp3 harden and the rockets was most important him

At the end it was just really about leaving the knicks

CCity Zero likes this.
  15. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Haha, so true, this site sometimes goes straight bipolar... Best GM to fire Morey in seconds...

16. PatBev

PatBev Member

I remember when GS had the best backcourt in the NBA.. then the added KD and are now a dynasty

Minny and OKC are now possibly past us and looking at a second round exit

Don't talk up about risk profile and say it's a arms race and give up after 3 quarters of the race

You'll miss Melo come playoff time or the high possibility of CP3/Gordon/Anderson getting hurt

17. Tha_Dude

Injuries could screw anyone, not just the Rockets.

Trading Ariza and Gordon for Melo is just insane, though. Glad it didn't happen.

18. PatBev

PatBev Member

So you'd rather play it safe and get bounced in the first round than trade a couple declining players for a possible championship team

I just thought we were here to win but never mind

19. Tha_Dude

There is no guarantee we would win even if we had given in and traded for Melo.

Also, I think you're getting a bit too emotional here. There is no way the Rockets get bounced in the first round with this roster, unless injuries happen. This team as it stands is a top 3 seed in the west.

Melo is a ball stopper and he isn't worth any combo of Ariza/Gordon/Capela, he went to the ultimate ball stoppers team so it should be a perfect fit for him. He will liklely be gone after this year. Count your lucky stars we didn't give up the farm for him.