1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Leaving job too soon.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by SirIvyLeague, Jul 15, 2017.

1. SirIvyLeague

SirIvyLeague Member

What are your thoughts if you are say hiring or analyzing an individual who's been at two stops prior to his current one for about a 1.5-2 years each, then leaves this 3rd spot in the same time frame?

If there's a good(and this is based off relativity) reason, would you still be disinterested in hiring?

2. jsingles

jsingles Member

If there is a good reason then It wouldn't bother me. People don't know if they're happy with a job until they get it and start working, the individual likely realized that company wasn't a good suit and decided to move on. I don't think people should ever be forced to stay in an unhappy position for sake of longevity with a company. I managed at three companies in a span of less than 2 years as they were just not a good fit, I didn't burn any bridges along the way.

3. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

What industry/position and is leaving after 1.5 - 2 years considered unusual?

#3 A_3PO, Jul 15, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2017
    Nook likes this.
  4. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I agree,,,,this is more a belief from the 50s -70s, where "career man" is almost a standard of living. Not so much anymore as pensions don't exist like they used to.

That said, I'm more interested in asking about size of company than industry. I'm assuming the position is the person's career path position and same one s/he is hiring for again. Also, if the person is a Sales Person, I could care less how long they stayed. I'd ask mainly about their sales record....and verify with references. I'd be fine with them hopping around...it's quite common for Sales.

As for size of company, I could say industry/position doesn't really matter if you're talking about 3 Future 100s in a row, for instance. I'm saying this only as an example of when industry/position might not matter, not to advocate working for Fortune 100s or not. So, in that context, leaving multiple Fortune 100s after 1.5-2yrs in your career-path positions would be odd, if you do it 3 times in a row. I would start thinking what is up with this guy if he targets the top companies but is hopping around them. Is he not fitting in? Do you keep getting bad annual reviews then leaving?

Small-mid companies, I wouldn't say it is unusual at all. Not ideal, but not unusual.

#4 heypartner, Jul 15, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2017
  5. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Normal in tech industry if you are young and in a tech hub.

6. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

As a software engineer, most of the jobs for which I have been hired were projects that lasted for 18-24 months. After which, no one knew what work would come next. Leaving when the project was done was always a solid move.

7. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Nah that's fine

Pen15clubber likes this.
  8. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Your primary job should be looking for a better job.

9. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

My first question would be what field is it in
    In the I.T. Field I don't think it is that big of deal
    I.T. seems more mercenary than most jobs

Rocket River

10. SirIvyLeague

SirIvyLeague Member

I'm in the commodity trading sector.

11. SirIvyLeague

SirIvyLeague Member

I'm stunned by responses, but more so this one.

I agree exactly with what you're saying and secretly hoping some of y'all would **** on me for leaving. But truth is I'm being recruited HARD. I feel stupid not to listen, guilty for even listening. But mind over matter, on Monday I'll schedule the interviews.

My company is 3k people, the parent company is technically the largest asset management firm in the world. My section of the company is less than 9 people.

I'm in commodity trading.

12. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

^^^
    Don't sweat it. Commodity trading is almost like my Sales example. Your record of trading would speak for itself, and being recruited heavily is a perfectly valid reason.

13. Jontro

Jontro Member

jontro is open for a job if brehs are hiring. i've been with my current company for 4 years.

i'm 13/m/tx, personable, good at microsoft word and i type fast. i'm a team player as i average at least 7apg in pickup games.

i have a beard and i think the number 99 is great. i think alexandra daddario is hot and hillary duff is a pawg goat.

pm me for resume.

Pen15clubber, Sajan, DudeWah and 4 others like this.
  14. SirIvyLeague

SirIvyLeague Member

I'd hire you, before I'd hire me.

Yung-T and Jontro like this.
  15. Bob Barker 007

Not sure why you are asking, because it's completely normal within finance. That's how I see it as someone just starting out of school. A lot of young finance professionals are doing 2-3 years then getting an MBA, 2-3 years and leaving because they didn't get a promotion, etc. I think it's expected within finance to keep moving if one isn't satisfied with his current position. Otherwise, one is perceived as someone who isn't motivated enough to be the best in a competitive industry.

16. SirIvyLeague

SirIvyLeague Member

Commodity trading is a old man's world. I trade with people 15-30 years older than me, regularly. If you can't tell I'm a bit insecure about the reputation it'll bring me, but reading these have calmed my nerves. I just want to be the best I can. And if anyone questions, they can just see how far I've come in a short time. And that I'm young, I'm no leader but I know I am a prodigy.

17. Bob Barker 007

Calling yourself a prodigy makes me think you are insecure. If you are doing good work, then there's no reason to worry. People significantly older than you may not understand exactly how you think, but they are usually wise enough to listen to any concerns that you may have, if legitimate. Keep doing good work, and you'll be fine!

18. SirIvyLeague

SirIvyLeague Member

I know I'm smart, I know I'm good at what I do. Not insecure about my job or my abilities, insecure about reputation it'll bring me cause I'll be in this game for approximately 40 years.

Nonetheless, the advice is appreciated.

Yung-T likes this.
  19. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I think you should be as loyal to your company as your company would be to you if things went south for them and/or their shareholders.............

Invisible Fan, Jontro and Sajan like this.
  20. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Entirely situational and employment zeitgeist supports this sort of move for many industries.