1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

larry wilmore show cancelled

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by jo mama, Aug 15, 2016.

1. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

http://www.rollingstone.com/tv/news/comedy-central-cancels-nightly-show-with-larry-wilmore-w434475

this was bound to happen, but surprised it ended so quickly. they should just fold up the 10:30 slot and focus on the daily show. one good satire-news show would be better than two mediocre ones. it was a mistake to try and replace the colbert report in the first place.

i did not watch as religiously as colbert, but i thought he was getting better. i could do without the round-table thing on the 2nd part of the show though. if anything, they should fire trevor noah and move larry over to daily show. noah really sucks and i cant stand watching that show now. daily show is an american political/news satire show and it should have an american host. its also weird having a host who is over a decade younger than me!

2. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Color me surprised. NOT.

Comedy Central went too far trying to interpret their comedy news instead of making it funny and I'm a liberal.

3. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

I gave it a couple of months, then stopped recording it. Wilmore is funny, but his panel guests were atrocious.

4. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Tump is killing TV political satire. He is too easy of a target and too omnipresent. Comics don't have to try too hard and there is nothing else to joke about... it's boring.

If I never heard another Trump joke it would be too soon.

5. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Good. That show sucked.

6. JeffB

JeffB Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Agreed. Those panels make me cringe. I just stopped watching altogether.

7. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

also, they are unwilling to mock those currently in power, whom they adore

8. jdh008

jdh008 Member

I'm with you on this one. Recorded it for a few weeks, but just couldn't get into it.

9. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Yeah I gave up on this (and Trevor Noah) really quickly.

John Oliver on the other hand is really good.

And while I'm at it, I think I'm ready to ditch Bill Simmons' Any Given Wednesday. Simmons was best as an everyman-type personality but that's all gone now. He's no longer one of us normal fans who made it big; he's just another media member in love with himself, participating in the Insiders' circle jerks.

10. FishBulb913

FishBulb913 Contributing Member

Yeah I'm in the same boat as everyone else. I watched it for the first couple months but it just didn't hold my interest.

I still watch the daily show but man comedy central has to miss Stewart / Colbert so badly.

They should have locked up John Oliver after he filled in for Stewart that one summer.

11. RocketsLegend

RocketsLegend Member

Trevor Noah next, please

12. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Show sucked. Good riddance.

13. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

in case you missed it...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/mNiqpBNE9ik" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

colbert has basically turned his show into the colbert report except he is not playing a faux-o'reilly anymore. he even brought back the word, but viacom complained so he calls it the werd now.

14. jdh008

jdh008 Member

Not to derail the thread into Simmons talk, but I'm 100% with you. Like many of a certain age, I loved Bill Simmons work for a long time, but lately I've struggled with it, and I think it's because he's simply outgrown his "everyman" persona. That's still how he is marketed, but it rings hollow when he's so friendly with big-name celebrities, not just from the sports world, but from the entertainment and business worlds.

I'm not blaming him for anything, necessarily. It's great that he has been so successful, but I don't think his personal ventures (not Grantland or The Ringer, which are all about those who work for him, but his basketball show on ESPN, his podcast, and his HBO show, for example) have done a good job of changing tone as his personal circumstances have changed.

15. Buck Turgidson

I'm glad they didn't, love that his show has the time to both research and then spend a good bit of time reporting on 1 particular issue a week.

I like Wilmore, didn't really care for his show. Do not like Noah. Samantha Bee is great the handful of times/clips I've watched.

16. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Show was bad. Not surprised

17. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

I wanted to like the show more than I did. Same with Trevor Noah's.

the shtick on both is too try hard many of times - but both Larry and Trevor can be funny themselves. Larry more so than Trevor.

18. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

why? If it doesn't make you laugh, why would you WANT to like it?

19. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

Surprised they didn't fire him for calling Obama the n-word.

20. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

Are you just wanting to argue? Your point makes no sense and I don't have time for a semantic debate.

I liked it. It had some high points and the precursor's were very funny - therefore I wanted to like the replacements as well. Unfortunately, both seem to fall flat more than they hit their highs.

does this not make sense? are you simply calling out a euphemism you don't like?