1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lack of interest in the Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Air Langhi, Mar 31, 2010.

1. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

You really don't hear a ton about the rockets on the radio. The are relegated to page 10 of newspaper. Toyota center is half full.

Even when they are good they are relegated to a distant 3rd in the Houston sports seen.

Heck sometimes they are playing and they don't even make front page of the sports section.

What is wrong?

2. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

they have just as many players on the bench in suits as they do in uniform

3. apollo33

apollo33 Member

I dont live in houston but

1. out of playoff race, everyone's injured, basically all garbage games

2. Major star (Yao) is down, the media usually goes away

4. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

we are a bandwagon town, plain and simple

our dedicated Rockets fan base isn't as big as others

5. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

Exactly. During the 22 game winning streak you had idiots that didn't know jack about basketball coming to games just to cheer on the Rockets to win games.

During the playoffs almost every year, you have a lot of people come out to support the Rockets because they know it's winning time.

I hate those kinds of people. Then, if we were to accomplish anything, they would say, "I was there." It's really pathetic.

6. ryano2009

ryano2009 Member

no playoffs and everyone injured.

7. RMGEEGEE

RMGEEGEE Contributing Member

It's just the way it is.

Houston has a lot to offer besides basketball, which is why the stands may not fill every game.
    I never thought of Houston as a basketball city anyway.

8. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

I think he's talking in general... like even when we're winning and we have Yao and we are in the playoffs. Any year, even at full health, and it's true... the Rockets don't get the credit from the media.

9. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Main reason is Morey is on vacation in Europe.

1 person likes this.
  10. tomato

tomato Member

Daryl Morey just staked Dracula, pass it on

1 person likes this.
  11. Mr. Space City

pretty much.

like RMGEEGEE said, i just dont think houston is a basketball town.

the texans have yet to make the playoffs yet but still drawn impressive attendance and much more enthusiastic fans.

12. BEAT LA

BEAT LA Member

This team hasn't made it to the finals in 15 years. Fans love to support the best teams. The Rockets need to make it there and the rest will fall in place.

13. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

March Madness time for me still. I'll start posting again when it's over.

14. Dei

Dei Member

In contrast, there are people who smug because they stuck with a team during its lean years.

15. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

LOL - almost every city is a bandwagon one when their teams are eliminated.

Especially in this economy.

The die hard fans like us will watch or attend to check out the new players......

No big deal.

DD

1 person likes this.
  16. ansfjs73

ansfjs73 Member

how? do u not know any players who live in houston in the offseason?

17. solid

solid Contributing Member

The "bandwagon" myth rears its ugly head! People, really, every fan base in the world, maybe in the universe get excited when their team is winning and somewhat disinterested when they are going nowhere. It is basic human psychology. People are into sports for fun, losing is not fun. I remember when UH was nationally ranked in basketball, you couldn't get near the stadium. During the lean years, plenty of seats were available. Doesn't mean that UH fans are bandwagoners, they are just not into pain like every other fan in any sport, anywhere, everywhere, for all time and forever.

1 person likes this.
  18. rhino17

rhino17 Member

They are still the best team in Houston by far. They made it to the 2nd round of the playoffs last season, the Texans have never made the playoffs, and the astros have been in the crapper since their world series appearance

19. OremLK

OremLK Member

It actually doesn't have to do with the Rockets themselves. It's because the NBA is not as popular as MLB or the NFL. In fact, the league as a whole is in dire straits right now.

Heck I would put the Rockets third on my list of Houston teams as well, even though they are the best run franchise of the three, and the most successful by far. Why? Because I like football and baseball a lot better than basketball. Not trying to start an argument about which sport is the best, it's just my opinion.

And it's a simple fact that the NBA is less popular than the other two main U.S. sports.

20. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Which is maybe a little more justified, no...?

I have a good friend who constantly gets into arguments with other team's fans about the Rockets then comes to me to check his facts. "Hey... we traded TMac right?" "What about Yao... is he still out?"

Then as soon as we win a game he is up in everyone's face telling them how "the Rockets are the best".

It tests a real sports fan's sanity.

1 person likes this.