1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lack of Fan Interest in the Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Air Langhi, Jan 19, 2020.

1. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm just saying I've heard a lot of people of one race diss on basketball.

"I don't follow basketball because you have to be tall"
    "I don't follow basketball because there are too many whistles which make it boring"
    "Basketball doesn't take a lot of intelligence like other sports"
    "Basketball players are lazy compared to hockey or football"

It's not a stretch to understand what they are really saying.

2. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

How long before Fertitta moves the team to Las Vegas?? Win/Win for him.

3. BlackHalo

BlackHalo Member

Yeah... OK.

What are they saying?

Utah seems to draw a good crowd, I live here and went to the 2 playoff games last year here.... loudest arena I've ever been to.

Quit pulling the race card, ***** old.

King1 and RocketRed84 like this.
  4. Sanctity

Sanctity Member

Alaskan Eskimos hate basketball that much?

5. Reeko

Reeko Member

it doesn’t matter what the Rockets do short of winning the title...TC will always be trash, and fan interest will always be garbage

All those .500 teams that played with “heart” that people love to glorify on here? No one gave a fck about them. No one talked about them. No one watched them.

this city is bandwagon AF...look at how everyone all of the sudden started caring during the 22 game win streak

look at how the fanbase for the cheating Astros just exploded...guys all of the sudden rocking Astros gear when I know for a fact they NEVER gave 2 fcks about them for many years

HP3, KePoW, Zoplicone and 2 others like this.
  6. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Houston is the most diverse city in the country. Blaming one particular race is bullshit. Go to TC and you'll see people of ALL races and creeds surfing on their phones and having side convos during the game. I've had season tickets in the lower bowl for 3 years, and I can personally attest to the fact that it's equal opportunity laziness that this fanbase exhibits on a nightly basis.

7. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

We're a bad sports city period. Fans here don't get into games until the end and until they have big consequences. Texans have their tailgate, Astros have the wave and Rockets fans have the lounges and bars.

8. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

What are they really saying?

Lmao, are you really so racist that you can turn “you have to be tall” into a statement about race?

King1 and Lurch like this.
  9. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

This isn't specific to Houston. I have heard these things over the years from people in other cities. I don't speak in monolithic blocks. But to deny there is racism is just ignorant in my opinion.

10. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

How am I racist?

11. solid

solid Contributing Member

Isolation basketball is not exciting to watch. Chucking threes which are rarely good doesn't help. Rockets aren't a fun team to watch generally.

Lurch likes this.
  12. KePoW

KePoW Contributing Member

This is the correct answer, as someone who did not grow up in Houston. So I'm unbiased and objective when viewing the city as an "outsider" who's lived here since 2006.

But Houston is definitely the most bandwagon city I've lived in when it comes to sports. You think Pittsburgh people are gonna tune out the Steelers if they have 2-3 years of mediocrity? Heck no.

Now as for what the reason is? That I'm not sure about. I think the common answer has some merit, which is that Houston is so international, and it's very common for people to move here for work and leave within several years.

Certainly for the Medical Center industry (with residency and medical school years), and I imagine the oil & gas industry too.

13. mastan

mastan Member

Morey is way overrated and partner in crime for Rocket's underperformance.

14. Section123row16seat1

This

also season tickets for 3 years and they are a horrible investment

my section seats in row 10are regularly sold for $80 bucks when I spent $158.

FFs I saw courtside row d last night for $150.

the other reason Houston lacks interest is the casuals truly hate James harden. His style has turned many people off and his playoff choke jobs sealed the cake. I wore a rockets jersey to the dynamo game and same thing casual fans don’t like harden.

o well ride or die. Hope we shut them all up with a championship.

mastan likes this.
  15. the shark

the shark Member

Why don't you clean up your OWN heart before you start judging other people's hearts.

King1 likes this.
  16. jerryclark

jerryclark Member

Harden plays smart, efficient basketball. And lets be honest here texans in general are just very low intelligence people

17. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

SLC, Portland, and OKC are three of the most predominantly white fan-bases in the league, yet they enjoy robust attendance numbers year in and year out regardless of how good or bad their teams are doing. If this was a racial thing across the nation, don't you think you'd be seeing numbers dwindle in those particular places? Viewership on all sports as a whole (outside of the NFL) is down across the board due to an abundance of entertainment options for people. This simply isn't an issue about race.

18. Lurch

Lurch Live Wilder.

Not racist. Just victim minded.

19. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

Those three cities also have NO OTHER MAJOR SPORTS LEAGUE. They don't have a choice.

Houston has a choice. And you can't definitively say that it has 0 impact. You yourself are making broad generalizations by denying that not even a single person is racist. I get it, it's much easier to sweep it under a rug and pretend it doesn't exist at all. It may not be a major factor, but to deny it doesn't play a role at all is just obtuse at best.

By the way, the quotes I heard were not from Houston fans but from people in Philly and Detroit. I've never in my life heard a black person say any of those things.

20. PuzzledFan

PuzzledFan Member

pre-dated by lack of interest shown by the Rockets