1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kyle Tucker: Could he be our everyday LF in 2018?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Shark44, Feb 25, 2018.

?

Is Kyle Tucker ready to be our everyday LF?

1. No, kid needs some more time in the minors to work on a few things.

2. Yes, potential is oozing from him, let's get this party started!

3. Maybe, its still early in Spring Training, let's not hyperventilate over the kind just yet.

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Only weird that Astros have a huge incentive to call him up this year, but almost none to call him up early in the season.

#161 Joe Joe, Mar 11, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2018
  2. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Memories! I took my family to see Correa's last minor league game (I believe) in Colorado Springs (we live here). Game got rained out in the third with Carlos at bat, but it was still cool to see him.

pw1993 likes this.
  3. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

For what it's worth, Tucker is starting his first game in left field this spring training. He's played a few innings in 2 other games there.

mikol13 likes this.
  4. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Didn't do too bad from what I saw--Single, Walk, SB and R.

5. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

JeeberD and conquistador#11 like this.
  6. Remix

Remix Member

7. Madano

Madano Contributing Member

Have we been underrating Tucker by comparing him to Ted?

8. torque

torque Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It's pretty nice that our biggest positional weakness is the same position out stud position player prospect plays. I think he gets the call up sooner than later this year.

9. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Future contractual issues aside, I would like to see him tear up AAA for a month before calling him up. There's no downside to allowing him a little more time in the minors. If we were a team like the Angels where you're probably good enough to get the Wild Card but need every available body to do it, I could see him being up Opening Day. But while LF is a sort of weakness, every other position is so well stocked that you don't even notice it's a problem. If and when he comes up and is what we think he is, the rest of the league might have to sue the Astros because it just won't be fair.

mikol13, ac in austin and MadMax like this.
  10. Major

Major Member

Sorry - I missed this earlier. I'm arguing they will call him up when they think he will make a real difference for the team. Same as they did with Correa and when they did with Springer. They aren't just going to call him up in 2 months for the sake of it. If Fisher and Yuli are doing great and the team is healthy, there's no place for him and no real reason they would call him up. In 2015, there were plenty of holes in the team and good reasons to call up Correa. In the 2018 team, there's a much greater chance there just won't be a good use for him 2 months into the season.

At this point, I have to assume you have major deficiencies in basic reading comprehension. I have explained at least 3 or 4 times the Fiers argument, yet you continue to just make up your own version of it and use your made up version as a repeated strawman. Having a discussion with someone who lacks basic cognitive skills seems pointless, so I won't be responding any further to you. I'll save you the trouble of responding to me as well - you're on my ignore list going forward so I won't see it.

11. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

If Tucker is the player they expect him to be... he's going to be better than Fisher. I also expect Fisher to have enough deficiencies at the plate and on the field to not warrant everyday player status. Again, you're basically saying that they should only call him up when they really need him... and that situation would be exceedingly rare on a team this good (and yet he can make them better).

I basically see this as you're unwilling to admit as to what an asinine argument you were making in regards to Fiers. You LITERALLY said that starting pitching should not be an upgrade priority with how good he was going. Not only did you have egg on your face after defending him, you doubled-down by being initially against trading for Verlander. You're using the same logic in regards to Tucker. Lastly, how was your anti Altuve-extension argument working for you... which again featured similar logic (unlikely to benefit the Astros now, so why do it)?

Its ok to say you got it ass-backwards wrong every now and then... but I guess you'd rather put people on ignore rather than admitting it. I'm fine with still replying to your posts when I find disagreement with the logic, even if you can't see it. Others still will...

Grydian likes this.
  12. Buck Turgidson

Remember those bugs bunny baseball cartoons? If you go beyond Teddy Ballgame, that's the territory you're in.

Being that Fisher looks completely overmatched (and a total disappointment this Spring), just like he did later last year, Tucker coming up in June/July is looking more and more likely. Unless someone like Davis just rakes and takes the spot over.

Fisher does not look like the answer, is all I'm trying to say. Jake is a perfect 4th OF, Marwin is a perfect UT guy.

pw1993 likes this.
  13. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Agreed. Fisher has some stuff to work on. He's still got valuable tools to be a contributor, but he's not going to be an everyday player without either a decent bat or stellar defense (and the latter will never likely happen).

14. Buck Turgidson

Long swing, K machine. That can be changed, but obviously not right now.

That's why we have AAA.

15. jayfree

jayfree Member

September was always the plan for him, but after this spring I can't see how they don't bring him up around July.

16. bobrek

I doubt September is the plan. If they bring him up, it will be before then. If he has not been brought up by September, and there is no injury need, they won't waste the 40 man roster spot and service time.

17. jayfree

jayfree Member

I
    think September was originally the plan for this year before the spring training. They had no real need for him going into the season and could see what he could do in the last month of the season before bringing him on in 2019. But after his showing so far, I feel July is the target.

18. bobrek

Why would they waste his service time and starting the clock by bringing him up for one month (again, unless there is an injury). He'll either be up earlier or not at all.

Hemo_jr likes this.
  19. jayfree

jayfree Member

That's actually not wasting his service time. He would most likely be up opening day 2019, so September would give him AAA experience and 1 month in the majors before that happens That has always been the case for young guys in the league. However, with his development this spring they should be pushing that up to the Super 2 timeline of July.

In years past, the Astros brought up guys by July (Altuve, Correa, Springer, Bregman) but because they needed a guy to fill a spot. Barring injury the Astros don't need to rush any players in the minors and would like to see what Davis, White and even Reed can bring first.

Either case, we are talking semantics now as it's agreed he should be up in early summer.

20. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

You would literally lose an entire year of team control calling him up in September, that isn't happening.

He'll be up near midseason, or likely not at all.

Hemo_jr likes this.