1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kyle Tucker: Could he be our everyday LF in 2018?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Shark44, Feb 25, 2018.

?

Is Kyle Tucker ready to be our everyday LF?

1. No, kid needs some more time in the minors to work on a few things.

2. Yes, potential is oozing from him, let's get this party started!

3. Maybe, its still early in Spring Training, let's not hyperventilate over the kind just yet.

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Reddick? Why?

texans1095 likes this.
  2. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

I'm not sure I'd punctuate a 20-year old posting an .837 OPS in AA with an "only" - he totaled nearly three times as many PAs as Correa. I suspect, if they'd kept Correa there that long, his slash line would have eventually regressed and been more in line with Tucker's. But those were different days; there's less urgency to move the prospects through the system, given the team's current status.

Anyway, point remains: slash lines are likely not the driving force behind their evaluations. Tucker's K rate last year was a respectable 20%; it has dropped to 17% thus far in AAA; I would wager they care more about that than his slash line.

Preston was 21 when he made his minor league debut; Kyle 18. Again, I think the team has a much better handle on their prospects beyond what the numbers tell us.

Scottay and texans1095 like this.
  3. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

The forgotten man is JD Davis. He was coming around right before he was sent down and is tearing up triple A with a .424 ba. Sure wish they spent more time getting him reps in LF. If Marisnik, Fisher, and/or Gattis don't show signs in the next couple of weeks it will be time to make a move. Send Fisher down, have Gonzo, Gurriel, Davis, Gattis split time at dh, 1b, lf. With Gonzolez primarily left field. If Gattis continues to struggle try to move him and bring Kyle up. Marisnik should be used sparingly as defensive replacement and pinch runner.

4. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

It’s interesting to me that the guys struggling the most out of the gate (namely Marwin and Gattis) are in walk years. However many games this team wins, its looking likely that next year’s team, with White, Davis, and Tucker replacing Gattis, Marwin, and either Marisnick or Fisher, will be better offensively, especially if they acquire a good catcher to replace McCann.

SugarLandFan likes this.
  5. Buck Turgidson

After going 4-8 in his first 2 games with Fresno, Tucker is mashing the ball at a robust .195 .298 .244 .542 clip (8-41).

SugarLandFan and Joe Joe like this.
  6. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Those last numbers are Fisher-quality.

7. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

"Only" in comparison to Correa's slash in AA because Correa's numbers came down quite a bit when he moved to AAA before his call up. People seem to forget Jed Lowrie getting hurt, Marwin not hitting great, and the Astros being ahead of schedule and winning in 2015 was a perfect storm so to speak to get Carlos up earlier than planned. The Astros were 11 games above .500 when Correa was called up.

If you go back a page or 2 you will see my point that started all this. With Marwin, Gattis, Marisnick, and FIsher struggling I believe there is/was an opportunity for Tucker to be called up sooner than the Astros were planning. HOWEVER, Tucker's numbers in AAA early in the season have not been overly impressive. I believe original preseason plan for Tucker was MAYBE a September call up and then start him in AAA next year until he clears super 2 status. With so many under performers on the MLB roster I believe if Tucker was raking he could have been looking at a call up in a matter of weeks. It's still early so maybe he can get on a tear and make it happen. I think though the Astros will use his "okay" numbers as an excuse that if/when they are ready to demote Fisher the spot will go to Drew Ferguson, Tyler White, or JD Davis again. Tucker needed to be mashing like Bregman to get an early call up.

8. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Cut him.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  9. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Tucker needed to sign an MLB contract to be called up earlier than he likely will be.

10. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Again, the Astros have a long list of qualitative data they consider that goes well beyond a player's slash line. For instance, I know, for a fact, they focus heavily on strikeouts. Bregman and Correa's rates were both around 10-12% in the minors; Tucker has been above 20%, currently 17% - I'd wager that would concern them more than his batting average. (Springer was up above 25%, at times as high as 30%.)

Additionally - and this is based on nothing more than my own intuition - I just don't see them putting *that* much pressure on Tucker. Bringing him up while the bats are struggling positions him as a savior and that, with the shadow of a repeat hanging over every thing that they do, is a lot to burden a 20-year old with, IMO. I think he'll be up this year - but I think they'll be careful (beyond all the eligibility issues) when they do it.

jim1961 likes this.
  11. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

12. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Any update on my boy K-Tuck?

All I saw was that he's still crushing it in AAA... but there's no available spot with Jake, D-Fish, and Reddick in the OF.

upload_2018-5-14_13-4-39.png
    upload_2018-5-14_13-5-4.png

Shark44 likes this.
  13. Nippystix

Nippystix Member

He's been hot lately, which is always welcomed, but I wouldn't consider his season thus far as crushing it, especially for his lofty expectations/standards.

Hopefully he continues the positive trend, but I don't see him suiting up at MMP any time soon.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  14. HTown2017Champs

Just DFA/trade Jake. Fisher gives us the speed, and Jake K's WAAAAAAY too much.

15. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Fisher is a fine replacement for Marisnick as a base runner, but Fisher is nowhere near the defensive player Marisnick is. Marisnick is an elite CF, Fisher is barely playable there. If I were choosing a 4th OF for this season only, I would easily go for Marisnick over Fisher. If I had to choose someone to play LF everyday, and if I had to consider long term over short term, I’d pick Fisher. Luckily they don’t have to make that choice, they can send Fisher down to the minors if they acquire another OF or want to promote one from within (like Tucker, who I do not think is playing well enough to warrant a callup just yet).

Joshfast likes this.
  16. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

The team is not expecting him to go nuts in AAA nor will they hold him back if he doesn't become a minor league MVP candidate. Correa also had a very pedestrian stint at AAA before the call-up.

For all we know, they may be asking him to work on just one or two particular aspects of his hitting while he's down there, which sometimes will impact overall numbers.

everyday eddie likes this.
  17. Buck Turgidson

Dude really needs to change that headshot. Looks like an internet stalker/molester.

conquistador#11 and FLASH21 like this.
  18. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

C'mon that's just the All-American Goofball look--not close to a stalker or molester.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  19. Buck Turgidson

That's exactly what a stalker would say.

Marteen likes this.
  20. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Buck Turgidson likes this.