1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kyle Tucker: Could he be our everyday LF in 2018?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Shark44, Feb 25, 2018.

?

Is Kyle Tucker ready to be our everyday LF?

1. No, kid needs some more time in the minors to work on a few things.

2. Yes, potential is oozing from him, let's get this party started!

3. Maybe, its still early in Spring Training, let's not hyperventilate over the kind just yet.

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

No word on when that Super 2 date has been set as, correct?

That's basically what we're waiting on the new CBA to pass for. Right?

2. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Yes, its too early to write off guys. But its not too early to start making plans or at least stringing together ideas about the things we could/should do if some of these guys dont come around.

3. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Astros have already made general plans. Fisher will be around if he turns it around, or he will be traded or sent down. Gattis is just a place holder until Astros have 9 position players that are consistently better. It would not surprise me if Alvarez forces the issue on Gattis.

4. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Super 2 would usually be around early July.

The CBA expires in 2021, and there's growing sentiment that the current structure of how arbitration and young players get service time (including super 2) will be revamped whenever a new deal is struck.... and if that is the case, it would go into effect prior to any possible super 2 concerns with Tucker would arise.

FLASH21 likes this.
  5. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Early June is usually considered safe.

6. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Was just going by when Correa and Bregman made their debuts.

We may have an idea of what is safe... but this front office tends to do things more systematically/consistently. Correa made his debut July 9th. Bregman made his debut July 26th.

7. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

if Tucker wants to get called up before June/July he is has the opportunity. The Astros can't hit. FIsher, Gonzalez, and Gattis have been terrible. The goal is another World Series and at this point FIsher is a poor mans Jake Marisnick. Which means he's not an MLB player The problem is Tucker is not currently mashing in AAA. He's at .273 with a .782 OPS.

I fully expect Tyler White and maybe Drew Ferguson to get a call up before Tucker. Both players are crushing in AAA so why not?

8. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Correa was June 8th.

9. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Correa's triple A slash at the time of his call-up, FYI: .276/.345/.449/.794. Their grasp of his viability goes well beyond his numbers.

Expectations for this team are sky-high and the offense is stumbling. Not sure that's the best situation for him. "Help us win another World Series!" is a lot to put on a 20-year old.

texans1095 likes this.
  10. Buck Turgidson

I know this is ****ing crazy, but just hear me out.

Is it possible that Tucker is working on things like staying back and shortening his swing against RHP who will throw breaking balls away (the changeup) or LHP who can and will bust him on the hands and then on the outside corner with hard stuff he's never seen?

I have no idea if/when he's ready, but when he's ready he needs to come help the big club.

We've watched prospects (not of his ilk, but still high-level propsects) fail and flail.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  11. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Correa also mashed that year in AA with .385/.459/.726/ 1.185 before moving up to AAA.

Meanwhile, Tucker was in AA last year way longer and only slashed .265/.325/.512/.837

People are infatuated with Tucker from his spring training performance and being a high pick. His stats in the minors aren't even as good as what his brother put up. That being said, he can't be worse than Fisher.

Commodore likes this.
  12. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Age is the most reliable stat in the minors. Kyle Tucker is in AAA at the same age his brother was at the University of Florida. Not sure if SEC stats compare very favorable to AAA stats.

13. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

You’re right. Not sure why I saw July.

I do think they held Bregman back for a possible trade... depending on where the team was around the deadline... and when Luhnow either couldn’t find the right deal, or decided that the team wouldn’t be good enough, they finally did call him up.

14. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Astros had Valbuena and Gurriel. I think Bregman being ready within a year of being drafted took the Astros slightly by surprise.

15. theimpossibles1

I would switch him with Fisher, Marisnick, or Reddick right now no question.

16. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Reddick? The guy who is slashing .300/.429/.550/.979?

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  17. Rockets12

Rockets12 Member

They signed Gurriel 9 days before Bregman got the call, so I don't think he was a factor, but yeah I doubt they expected him to be MLB ready so quickly

18. Buck Turgidson

That's why they drafted him. They needed a 3Bman, and it worked out better than they could have hoped.

19. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

For some reason, thought he was up sooner.

20. Nook

Nook Member

Perhaps but I remember Goldstein saying they expected Bergman to move very quickly through the system shortly after he was drafted.

raining threes likes this.