1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kings hire Luke Walton

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by J.R., Apr 13, 2019.

1. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

She is a TV host so suing the lakers coach might not be the best career choice. Luke got fired so that problem isn't there anymore.

durvasa likes this.
  2. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Ah yeah... going out on a limb and guessing you've never been raped? Definitely agree that life isn't fair.

But most importantly, maybe we can move both the #metoo and the #justshutup movements to the D&D and keep the Dish more about the basic facts and then complaining about refs and stuff. :)

Williamson, Little Bit and Easy like this.
  3. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

I wonder if she came out now to say she was raped because the Kings aren't as big a franchise as GSW and the Lakers.

Kelli Tennant is 6'2" this has nothing to do with anything, but I thought that was important information.

tinman and cjvnyc like this.
  4. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

5. cjvnyc

cjvnyc Member

She is refusing to file criminal charges, so she, too, was not raped.

6. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The timing is definitely suspicious
    I want to hear what the defense has to say

Bearded13 likes this.
  7. B-Bob

Take it to D&D, cowboy. Lots of folks who actually care about getting their knickers twisted for ya there.

8. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Why didn't they say head coach of kings?

9. cjvnyc

cjvnyc Member

I'll take it where I want to, cowgirl.

BruceAndre likes this.
  10. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://www.washingtonpost.com/spor...alton-sued-sexual-assault-by-former-reporter/

11. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

12. tinman

Supporting Member

I don’t know who’s right or wrong but
    NBA players should definitely date or hook up with celebrities or rich women
    It avoids any alternative motives

13. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Here's the thing. I'm not saying that this didn't happen. It probably did happen. But she's not pressing criminal charges. This is a civil suit designed to get money and, from the press, fame.

America is all about personality when it should be about character. It's all about 'look at me' when it should be 'how I live'.

Personality Ethic vs Character Ethic:

The author (of The Seven Habits of Highly Successful People) describes the difference between what he describes as the personality ethic and the character ethic. The character ethic is the idea that a person advances in basis of their character. This was culturally the main idea expressed in the US up until about WWI, when popular literature began to focus more on short-cuts and easy ways to manipulate situations or to get what you want. Character ethic depends on deep changes within each of us, while the personality ethic falls back on methods or techniques. The personality ethic does not challenge us; neither does it bring about deep changes within us. Phrases characteristic of the personality ethic are think positive and believe in yourself while Character ethics deals with integrity, patience, e.t.c. Covey gave us a good illustration: Covey uses the example of a person trying to find his way through Chicago with a map of Detroit. No matter how hard he tries, he will never be successful. In the same way, when we have erroneous ideas of what something is like, we are destined to fail in dealing with whatever it is. So we have to get the map first (character ethics) before using the techniques and skills to find the destination(personality ethics). We should work to have correct and healthy understandings of the world around us.
    I think, if Luke Walton assaulted this woman, he should face criminal charges. But this whole media circus that surrounds and encourages this current fad, and it is a fad, of making a big show about accusing sexual predators, is an overall negative to the country. It shows that it's just another way to get attention in our social-media look-at-me society. The only positive is that if LW is guilty, it's going to ruin his life, and I'm fine with that.

@B-Bob cat's out of the bag on this one and it's the whole story here now.

Btw, she looks like if Sarah Silverman and Jennifer Connelly had a baby.

Houstunna, BruceAndre and tinman like this.
  14. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

OK I missunderstood you then. I understand you post. Thanks for replying.

If we ignore this whole thing, the hire of Walton was a good move IMHO by the Kings. A young coach who can grow with their young players.

Xerobull likes this.
  15. Xerobull

It's all good, and my bad for not communicating effectively.

arno_ed likes this.
  16. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

17. B-Bob

I think there are other positives. If just one choad thinks to himself "you know what, this woman may be in front of a microphone some day telling the world exactly what a choad I am," and he decides not to pin her to a bed against her will, then that is an additional positive. I think that's a big point of the movement. Having known victims of sexual assault, I totally don't get this notion that they want "fame." I don't think this is the kind of fame anyone wants. Maybe I'm a sap, but I believe that most women who come forward hope to help other women stand up for themselves and discourage men from acting like apes.

Just my 2 cents.

You're not one of those guys, but some guys are really disturbing on this front. They swoop in to assume the guy is innocent, when they don't know this random guy from Cain or Abel.

Cheers!

Weird side note: Kerr has recently vouched for L Walton as "one of the best" people in the NBA or something like that. D'oh.

Williamson likes this.
  18. Xerobull

I'm all for publicly shaming these people. Society is- that's why you can find sex offenders on a map and they have to register wherever they move. They should face justice in it's fullest. Hell, I think half of them should be chemically castrated and another percentage of them suffer even more severe punishments. /end before I get worked up.

But in this case, in our 'all about me' society, it's skewed towards being the next ten minutes of fame. On top of whatever compensation she gets from Walton, she will get a book deal, a lecture circuit gig, and probably a host spot on The View. If she doesn't see that this is an angle to better her career given the hyper-sensitive climate now, she will soon when the offers start rolling in. This isn't about Walton seeing justice. That's only the cherry on top. All speculation but if it plays out the way I think, he's screwed and she's got it made.

19. tinman

Supporting Member

Like you, I don't make snap judgements because he was a member of teams we didn't like.

There are definitely examples of women making false statements to get money from athletes.
    That happened with Houston Texan's Arian Foster, where the woman slandered him.

The damage was already done. I'm sure people still think Arian is a bad dude .

https://www.tmz.com/2014/01/20/arian-foster-audio-phone-call-brittany-norwood-abortion-lawsuit/
    ARIAN FOSTER'S BABY MAMA BOMBSHELL AUDIO'Arian Never Harassed Me About Abortion'

Bearded13 likes this.
  20. B-Bob

Appreciate that it's speculation. And I guess cynicism in all things human is worthwhile, sadly. But I'd be very surprised if she got a book deal out of it, and I know the industry somewhat. If she does get a book deal out of this, she'll make no money on it. You have to be really famous, have sexy vampires, gory zombies, dragons, or a white house level exposé to make money on a book. Also she might get a guest appearance on The View but no way a host spot? I don't know -- I've never seen that show.

Anyway, I honestly think she just hurt her sports reporting career. How many athletes or coaches are going to open up to her moving forward? Even if they believe her? Maybe (in the cynical view), such a calculated move would take her into a different kind of media career and she's completely done with sports coverage.

Williamson likes this.