1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kawhi - Summer 2019

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Deuce, May 31, 2019.

1. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

Kawhi strikes me as the type of guy that is made to break the mold, turning down the obvious choice of the dough plus a team that just won a ring. I doubt he does turn down the Raptors offer but I could see him saying something like I hate the cold winters in Toronto and I wanted to go home to Southern Cal.

2. BigBum

BigBum Member

This summer, every team is going to sign role players short term.

rocketman12 likes this.
  3. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

LA Ramona would LOVE for Kawhi to go to LA!

Who would have guessed that?

Hakeemtheking likes this.
  4. J.R.

J.R. Member

5. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Just like political talking heads these days, sports talking heads just spout for clicks and ratings. (e.g. Jay Williams in this case.) It's kind of pathetic and less and less worthy of our time.

It's almost like we're going to need a forum where we only allow quoted content from Woj tweets and Clutch and Bimathug. LOL. A few others, sure.

Just speculating as a human being, it seems to me like it would be really hard to leave a championship city, but the league may ref its way to save Stephanie's golden mouthpiece again, so the point may be moot on arrival.

NotInMyHouse likes this.
  6. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

7. Vivi

Vivi Member

Time for Morey to stockpile assets for the 2021 season :D

8. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

The caravan on I10 into Houston from San Antonio would look like Mad Max Fury Road if Kawhi comes back to Texas as a Houston Rocket.

Deuce, BigShasta and Vivi like this.
  9. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

This is what I expect as well. Gives the Raptors a chance for a title but also keeps his options open if the Raptors falter in a few years.

10. biina

biina Member

Something that is probably a part of Kawhi's consideration is Raptors's competitiveness and championship window.

Gasol is 34, and Lowry is 33, with Siakam and VV being the only young talents.

Clippers seem to have a younger core to use in building a contender around Kawhi and potentially another max player

11. PlayBall

PlayBall Member

Anunoby is just 21 and promising. Ibaka's seemingly been around forever but he's still only 29. Green is 31 and should have several good years left. I agree with you that Lowry is a concern, but Gasol has the kind of groundbound, slow game relaying on smarts rather than athleticism that should age well. I actually like their core a lot.

Koperboy likes this.
  12. biina

biina Member

All those players I would consider to be role players on a championship team and not worth much consideration in terms of championship credentials.

Maybe Anunoby might develop into something later in his career but he hasnt shown that quality yet, while Ibaka seem to be on the decline and a shadow of the player he was with the Thunder. Green also seems to be sliding past it (still cant belive the number of open looks he missed against the bucks).

The east should be quite competitive in the near future, particularly if Durant goes to NY, Boston gets their sh*t together and depending of how FA pans out Bucks and Philly.

Unless, they can bring in a second superstar to Toronto, Kawhi would be wasting his prime playing a one-man band if he stays. Add his injury history, and a contender with a much wider window is in his best interest imo.

13. PlayBall

PlayBall Member

Uh, Siakam has definite star potential - he's not far from it right now. And Lowry should have a couple years left at a high level.

14. biina

biina Member

They need a superstar not a star, and they need it asap.

Also I dont see the star player in Siakam. He cant carry a team in the absence of the #1 option. I see him as being best as a 3rd option and that is if he continues to develop.

15. Major

Major Member

They are tied 1-1 in the finals right now. I'm not they *need* anything significant. They just need to keep tweaking and improving.

16. BigBum

BigBum Member

Trade Paul for a 2nd round pick and sign kawhi.

17. Reeko

Reeko Member

in an interview with Rachel Nichols that aired today he said he wouldn’t be playing right now if it weren’t for all that load management he did during the regular season...he said he doesn’t think he’d be able to play right now if he had tried to play the entire season

18. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

You have to give a lot of credit to Alex McKechnie.

19. solid

solid Contributing Member

Did he really say that he doesn't play for the fans? He could have left that unsaid for sure.

20. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Clippers going with Plan B; think Kawhi stays in Toronto