1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kawhi Leonard out indefinitely

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by zeeshan2, Jan 17, 2018.

1. Vivi

Vivi Member

Yep, just like people didn't believe Jackie Mc when she said she heard about LMA asking to get traded.

2. Bruce Bowen

Bruce Bowen Member

nah... kick them while they're down... they have done it to the Rockets for many years

3. malakas

malakas Member

I don't think we can say that he's damaged goods or that he wants out for sure.
    But now on top of the cyber report about the Lakers, I now moreso fully believe that Spurs were lowkey "shopping" him in the trade deadline.

4. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

5. ooooaaaah!

ooooaaaah! Member

This title reminds me of a cheers a girl gave one time. As we held our glasses up high she stared at me and said, "to indefinitely, because when his balls slap your ass, he is in definitely".

6. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I wouldn't be surprised if the Spurs learned from the Isaiah Thomas saga. If they think that they need to move Kawhi, it makes sense to hold him out for the rest of the year instead of making him play "hurt" and harming his trade value. If they move him in the offseason, he'll be "healthy" after sitting out for a full year and they can demand a king's ransom.

I also wouldn't let him hold the organization over a barrel by only demanding a trade with the Lakers. Whoever trades for him will be able to offer a supermax extension (unless I'm wrong about this) and very few players have turned down that guaranteed $30 million.

I'd trade him, Pau Gasol and Danny Green to Washington for Bradley Beal, Otto Porter and a first-round pick. The Wizards get to split up the Wall/Beal relationship and the Spurs get an All-Star shooting guard, an athletic 3-and-D guy and a first rounder.

#166 mtbrays, Feb 22, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2018
  7. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Leonard is in for a rude awakening as to what the full expectations of an NBA star are outside of San Antonio. Just playing your best won't be good enough.

Stormy1234 and hakeem94 like this.
  8. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

Kawhi to Lakers. I know Cyber insinuated this a while back back but Randle/Ingram/Picks/Etc. for him would be too hard to pass up (that's if they want to offer that). I don't think Wizards would part with Beal AND Porter. Beal/other players/picks might be able to do it.

Bottomline, Kawhi wanting a potential move changes the landscape for the team who trades for him (no evidence to support this claim though but if it happened...). He's a superstar, not the Harden type but he's got tremendous value (albeit, with this injury or not). Spurs will get a Kings ransom for him.

9. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It's interesting because I don't really know what a year-in, year-out MVP candidate can fetch. When healthy, he's a top-5 player and I'm of the mind that you trade whatever it takes to get that player.

10. DaBeard

DaBeard Member

11. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

Yep. Here are a few teams that I think have the assets, are contenders (or will be due to young talent) and are a big market.

EAST
    Celtics, 76ers, Bulls, Wizards, Raptors

WEST (Highly doubt Spurs would trade him to Western Conference team.)
    Timberwolves, Trail Blazers, Lakers (and any bottom tier team with picks and assets)

Every one of those teams listed has a big piece they can part with of near equal value. Whether it be star for near-star/assets/picks or whatever.

Imagine Kawhi on the Celtics (my god)?
    Or a young 76ers team?
    Or the new face of the franchise for the Bulls with Dunn/Markkanen/LaVine?
    DeRozan for Kawhi? Hmm.
    Butler for Kawhi? Makes sense.
    McCollum, assets for Kawhi?

Endless scenarios for the Spurs and they are third in West without him right now... imagine.

12. Bruce Bowen

Bruce Bowen Member

I read an article today in a Philli newspaper about the 76's should think about a trade for Leonard.. the article stated Embid and Simmons were untouchable.. and if I'm the Spurs it's Simmons for Leonard as the main pieces.. I've said it on this board numerous times... Simmons is the guy I want ...

if its the Lakers.. Kuzma and Ingram... top 5 guy when healthy...

13. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

I doubt they get rid of Kuzma. Randle is the guy they want to get rid of I think. Lakers fans love Kuzma and after watching him a bit... I can see why.

76ers won't get rid of Simmons but maybe Fultz. If they have faith in Fultz, risk it and get rid of Simmons but I doubt it.

14. Bruce Bowen

Bruce Bowen Member

I wouldn't give Leonard a way... do you think Simmons is a better player than Leonard? All parties involved have to answer that question... a 26 yr old Leonard

would Harden be worth Simmons?

how bad do you want Leonard? Are you willing to play chicken knowing he could go to your rival?

15. Vivi

Vivi Member

Kawhi will also expire next season, teams will not trade their Simmons, Ingram etc unless they know he's staying.

16. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Have to be careful here. This sort of thing naturally invites speculation but is any of it correct?

If this is some sort of odd parting of the ways, I can only hope they trade Kawhi to the LEast. But I dread him going home to join the Lakers (and taking LeBron or Paul George with him).

17. Bruce Bowen

Bruce Bowen Member

I agree... that's why you sign Kawhi to his extension...and then trade him. The spurs can give him the most money... that's leverage for the Spurs

not all leverage but something for Leonard to think about

Vivi likes this.
  18. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

Or Kawhi for Butler (T-Wolves). Both expiring and could each push each team over the top IMO.

19. Vivi

Vivi Member

Butler is expiring too, that's true...he's Thibodeau guy though, not sure he's going to be traded for another expiring player...

20. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

It would take more than Simmons for sure. But I think they can get a better return than what the 76ers can offer. It all comes down to how badly these non-contenders cherish taking that next step.